Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Extended car warrantees. The good - the bad?

Views : 3622

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2022, 10:12   #1
King Key

Default Extended car warrantees. The good - the bad?

My XC60 is almost 5 years old now and after having the ERAD bust this year I'm looking to get one of the extended warrantees. No experience with any of them so please tell me your experience of the many that are out there. I don't currently have any warrantee.
King Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 13:12   #2
Thorium

I have the Car Care Plan Warranty (the one offered via Volvo dealers) - it's not Volvo themselves, but the dealership work directly with them for any warranty work, so you don't have to get anything authorised yourself. I've had them for a number of years now and it's covered the few issues that I've had.

I've never had a problem with the coverage and the annual price is roughly comparable with other third party warranty vendors for my XC90 (but check what is excluded from the warranty as they are not all the same in my experience).

I currently have an problem with the driver side heated seat, which I'm advised should be covered by the warranty - quote from Volvo to repair is £787, which is more than the warranty cost this year.

There are plenty of warranty companies out there, so take your pick, just check exactly what is and isn't covered.

Hope this helps.
Thorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 14:38   #3
vampwitch

Ironically mine is due for renewal. I am also going down the route of the one sent by Volvo. Had it last year and so far I haven't had to use it. So I cannot say how good or bad the process would be.
vampwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 18:41   #4
King Key

I've started looking around and had filled in one of the online forms, it asks numerous questions including your number plate, it then tells you the model of the car which was correct and offers a price which wasn't too bad. So far so good.

It then proceeds to tell you it can't cover the car as it's hybrid! Why offer a price with various options if they don't cover the car anyway. Thanks for wasting my time Click4Warranty.......
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 13:01   #5
King Key

Not having much luck. Car Care Plan Warranty won't cover past the fourth year, just got off the phone to them and they clarified that is indeed the case. (Maybe if you had it covered by them up to the fourth year it might be different but mine wasn't so no point in going there).

As mentioned above Click4Warranty were a waste of time (won't cover a hybrid).

Anyone had an experience (hopefully a good one!) of other car warrantee companies?
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 16:12   #6
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Can I tell a story, sorry I won't be much help regarding the warranty companies other than be careful of the aftermarket ones aka read the small print.

A mate of mine used to have his own site for jalopies and one day a warranty company wanting to sell through him contacted him.

Who do you think arrived?

They think it's all over! it is now!

Yup, Geoff Hurst & Martin Peters, as my mate was an apprentice at a league club during his teens he was over the moon but moved it into extra time and held the ball in the corner just to keep them in company for a bit longer.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 14:29   #7
Kingmunky

I use the Volvo-approved extended warranty through Motor Admin - costs around £600/year. So far (2 1/2 years) it's taken care of an ERAD failure, fuses burning out in the charging module and an issue with SENSUS which was causing the screen to cut out intermittently. First two issues were definitely over £600 to repair so it's been VFM as far as I'm concerned. ERAD alone was about £2.5-£3K so no qualms about the cost.
Kingmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 23:13   #8
Boatie
Master Member

o
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Key View Post
Not having much luck. Car Care Plan Warranty won't cover past the fourth year, just got off the phone to them and they clarified that is indeed the case. (Maybe if you had it covered by them up to the fourth year it might be different but mine wasn't so no point in going there).

As mentioned above Click4Warranty were a waste of time (won't cover a hybrid).

Anyone had an experience (hopefully a good one!) of other car warrantee companies?
Just had a look at Car Care Warranty plan as offered via Boundless on a V90 R Design. They offer two plans, one for vehicles under 5 years old and one for vehicles under 10 years old. Both appear to have a mileage cap of 100,000. Apart from the fact that yours is a hybid (the unknown factor) I see no reason why your car would not be considered. Maybe the person you spoke to was looking at and only considered the under 5 year plan. Worth trying again.
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 18:48   #9
James77
Master Member

I used the flyer/letter from volvo through the post for year 4 think the link was continuemywarranty/volvo cist 457 for a year
Is that available for year 5?
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 09:09   #10
King Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
o

Just had a look at Car Care Warranty plan as offered via Boundless on a V90 R Design. They offer two plans, one for vehicles under 5 years old and one for vehicles under 10 years old. Both appear to have a mileage cap of 100,000. Apart from the fact that yours is a hybid (the unknown factor) I see no reason why your car would not be considered. Maybe the person you spoke to was looking at and only considered the under 5 year plan. Worth trying again.
Just had a look at Boundless (never heard of it before), unfortunately, you have to be one of the following group, (teachers, civil servants, local-government workers and members of the armed forces, fire service, NHS and police or retired from) which I'm not.