Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 2001 SRS Module Won't Reset with VIDA/DICE

Views : 26188

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2013, 10:42   #1
Jim_V70_2001

Red face V70 2001 SRS Module Won't Reset with VIDA/DICE

Hi pals.

I am sorry for yet another thread on this subject, I have not found any solutions despite several people having reported this same problem in many threads.

So can anyone please help with a solution?

My driver's seat airbag cable broke and after it was fixed my independent techie-mechie couldn't reset the stored codes (SRS-0042 (High Capacitance), SRS-0044 (High Resistance) and SRS-0107 (Circuit Error)).

I borrowed a VIDA/DICE and can do everything except reset the SRS module.

I reset the ECM module to clear the code from my front oxygen sensor (heater element bad), and I tested the windows, lights, gong, DIM module, and turned off daytime driving lights and did some other stuff too. So the communication with the vehicle is fine.

The Current Operation Cycle is green signals all round.

So now I just need to reset the stored (historical) codes in the SRS module and can't.

As VIDA advises, I cleared the ECM codes first and then tried a dozen times to reset the SRS module. It refuses.

I selected each error code and clicked UPDATE and ti updated each one to green.

But it still won't reset the SRS module old stored codes.

And so the SRS Service Urgent message and warning light won't go off and this is an MoT failure.

If you have a fix for this please let me know.

Many thanks.

Last edited by Jim_V70_2001; Jun 9th, 2013 at 11:50.
Jim_V70_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 11:30   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

yopu say it wont clear , that indicates fault codes are stored which are permanant due to a fault , which codes are stored relating to the SRS ?
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 11:33   #3
Marmitespreader
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_V70_2001 View Post

And so the SRS Service Urgent message and warning light won't go off and this is an MoT failure.
I have the Amber SRS service light illuminated & mine passed its MOT after March 20th.
Amber lamps are advisory messages to you to "service", RED lamps are malfunction warnings which constitute a failure.
I sought advice from my local MOT garage before my car went for its MOT, & that was how he interpreted the latest regs.
It might be worth talking to a few MOT garages & see how they respond to the amber lamp. I assume you have amber & not red?

#SRS components including airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners, seat belt load limiters and SRS malfunction warning lamp

Jim

Last edited by Marmitespreader; Jun 9th, 2013 at 11:39.
Marmitespreader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marmitespreader For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 11:47   #4
Jim_V70_2001

Quote:
I borrowed a VIDA/DICE and can do everything except reset the SRS module.
The Current Operation Cycle is green signals all round.

So now I just need to reset the stored (historical) codes in the SRS module and can't.
Thanks guys.

The codes are in the text above, I updated them now for more info but if they have VIDA they will see them too.

But they are fixed, it was a broken cable under the seat.

The MoT places don't have VIDAs so they can't differentiate between any colours.

There is only one airbag light on my V70 instrument panel, the picture of the steering wheel with a blown bag.

If this light doesn't come on at all (blown bulb, or a pulled-out bulb!) or if it stays on then it is a Fail,there is no lee-way on that.

Other people have had this problem and I am hoping one of them will see this and tell us what they had to do to reset theirs?

Last edited by Jim_V70_2001; Jun 9th, 2013 at 11:53.
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 19:56   #5
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks guys.

If this light doesn't come on at all (blown bulb, or a pulled-out bulb!) or if it stays on then it is a Fail,there is no lee-way on that.
That's outdated, if the warning bulb doesn't come on it is no longer a MOT failure, although you may need to point the tester to the MOT regs.

If it illuminates to show a malfunction it will (or should) be a failure.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 13:12   #6
Jim_V70_2001

Well anyway as I said my airbag problem is fixed and all I need to do is reset the SRS module.

If anyone else who had this problem was finally able to fix it please tell me what you had to do?

I'm booking it into Volvo to reset it in any case, because it's 2-weeks lead-time to get it in.

But I'm still hoping to avoid the cost of a new SRS module and a hefty labour charge if possible, so please tell how you fixed yours if you had this same problem?

Last edited by Jim_V70_2001; Jun 10th, 2013 at 14:18.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 15:10   #7
100K+
Premier Member

Have to sort of agree with Clan - There is another permanant fault that VIDA/DICE is seeing and thus not letting you clear the light.

Just to be clear these fault codes are still readable via DICE/VIDA

My driver's seat airbag cable broke and after it was fixed my independent techie-mechie couldn't reset the stored codes (SRS-0042 (High Capacitance), SRS-0044 (High Resistance) and SRS-0107 (Circuit Error)).

I struggle with my DICE but it has reset SRS warnings in the past, and you appear to be far more adapt than me in understanding how to make it do.

I have not seen/read about the "Vida/dice glitch" you appear to be refering to.

Not much help I know, but think the problem is not as "cured" as you think.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 16:40   #8
reggit
Premier Member

I'd be interested in the real issue - I looked at someone car with the exact same issue, can't remember his user name at the minute, but will look it up and edit the post.
In fact, have a look as this thread, unfortunately a solution wasn't found - http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ghlight=airbag

From what I remember, the fault counters wouldn't reset when DTC's where erased.

If it worked right, the counter would reset and the fault warning would clear, or if the fault still present the counters would at least reset. I tried to simulate the issue on mine by unplugging one of the airbags, but couldn't.

Last edited by reggit; Jun 10th, 2013 at 16:57.
reggit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reggit For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 18:51   #9
Jim_V70_2001

Thanks guys.

This seems to be a common problem then. The post you linked me to, the fault just disappeared of its own accord.

There are no other visible codes, the only recurring one is the ECM Oxygen Sensor heater element.

The ECM errors have to be reset first, VIDA says that, but that code resets every time, and doesn't always come back right away, but even so, when it is not present, I still can't reset the SRS module.

Its going in to Volvo tomorrow and I'll report my findings.

Can I rely on each of you guys for a small contribution for my solution if it costs a lot?
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 18:57   #10
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

yes a Dime bar from me
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:

Tags
sips airbag, srs module reset