Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Radiator leak stop solutions

Views : 1017

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2023, 11:38   #1
tony209
Master Member

Default Radiator leak stop solutions

Would using a radiator leak stop additive as a temporary fix likely to cause any engine or turbo issues in the future?
tony209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2023, 12:06   #2
CosmicBike

Yes, it will clog the narrow coolant passageways in the block and you will never get it all out.
2007 Ford Galaxy (dog lugger)
Previous XC90 x 2, V70 x 2
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2023, 13:42   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony209 View Post
Would using a radiator leak stop additive as a temporary fix likely to cause any engine or turbo issues in the future?
It depends what you use, I found K-Seal remarkable, it is thousands if very fine short copper strands which get carried to the crack and settle there and the liquid hardens around them where the crack is. It circulates around until it finds another leak.
Old Jan 6th, 2023, 13:59   #4
Damoh89

Have used rad weld and red weld in gold bottle before as get home solution mrs parked front into bushes in car park and branch pierced rad,flushed and back flushed system when got new rad to get rid of the remains of gunge
Damoh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2023, 17:39   #5
Clogs
Clogs

Default Radweld etc - emergency use only

These products which usually have bits of cork in them, will clog up your radiator and never provide a permanent repair. Some hard driving when the coolant is under high pressure will inevitably dislodge the sealant and result in a leak. Keeping a few litres of coolant in the car would be a necessity until the source of the leak has been repaired properly. A complete flush is needed after a repair has been made. One of the bad things that can happen is when the heater matrix leaks... getting it hot again after using Radweld is unlikely to happen again so demisting is impaired, and the car is no longer toasty warm in winter. A horrible job to replace, but worth the effort.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clogs For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2023, 19:57   #6
Alpine

I used K-seal on my old S70 which had a leak on the radiator and it worked well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alpine For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2023, 22:04   #7
Ross 63
Breaks things

All are the devil's water. It's an absolute nightmare getting it out of the system, far more bother than it's worth. Do the job right and you'll do it once, just replace the radiator.
Old Jan 7th, 2023, 12:39   #8
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It depends what you use, I found K-Seal remarkable, it is thousands if very fine short copper strands which get carried to the crack and settle there and the liquid hardens around them where the crack is. It circulates around until it finds another leak.
This explains something that I never got to the bottom of! When I bought my old S70, it had shiny copper like sludge in the bottom of the coolant reservoir. This worried me for a while as I couldn't for the life of me figure out where so much copper could have come from!

As usual, I renewed the coolant system as part of the stage 0, and had to change the heater core a few months later - so presumably the PO had a leak in the core which he fixed with K seal...

Thanks!
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 10:07   #9
liammedler

I had a small leak on my 850 T5 and some black pepper in the header tank fixed it for 2 years until I bought a new radiator
liammedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 12:46   #10
liammedler

I wouldn't try rad seal or an egg white for the reasons mentioned above
liammedler is offline   Reply With Quote