Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

crankshaft rear oil seal

Views : 752

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 21:41   #1
garymc

Just had the crankshaft rear oil seal replaced (oil leak became very noticeable during our 2000 miles in France in the summer) and took the advice of Genford in Huddersfield to have the torque converter seal replaced while the engine and transmissions were seperated.
Still another chunk of expenditure on the old 850 (£300!) and not expected on a 65,000 mile 7 year old car. I knew the seals have a reputation of going but had hope to see 100,000 up before then.
I'm just interested to know how common this failure is??

Here is another interesting fact:1 litre of Shell Helix in France ~ £2.90 at a motor factors, 1 litre of Shell Helix in a Shell Service station in UK - £6.00. Never mind the cross-channel booze run, who wants some oil? Do we pay extortionate rates of duty on lubrication oil in the UK..???
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 07:38   #2
sholtby
Premier Member

Default RE: crankshaft rear oil seal

Front and rear crank seals are prone to leaking on our cars as is the seal on the turbo oil return pipe and the sump can cause problems too. You certainly dont want to over fill your car with engine oil. I'm considering switching back to semi synthetic next oilchange as fully synthetic seems too thin. I also hear more problems of oil leaks than anykind of engine wear.
Your description of oil prices are just an example of how we get ripped off in the UK. I dont think there is duty on oil here just VAT so the oil companies must be to blame.

simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote