Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight washers not working

Views : 1148

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2022, 08:59   #1
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Default Headlight washers not working

My headlight washers have stopped working, during winter when using the screen wash more frequently they were working fine but for the last few months they have not worked, I have checked the fuse which is fine and just to be sure I swapped the screen and headlight fuses over and screen wash works but still no headlight wash.

I pulled the inner wheel arch cover off and removed the headlight wash motor and tested it on a 12 volt supply and it works fine, after replacing the motor the headlight wash worked once but has not worked since. (I know they only work every 5th screen wash)
They are not popping out or spraying, anyone had this happen and had them sorted, the MOT is due soon and this is now a MOT fail.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 10:05   #2
Lexman8
Premier Member

Headlamp washers normally pop up because of the pressure and/or water flow created by the pump. There isn't a motor or solenoid to aid them to pop up.

Perhaps there is extra friction in the pop-up mechanism (or it's gunged up) caused by infrequent use over the last couple of years?

On my Merc it was possible to lift open the flap on the bumper (it was hinged along the forward edge) and pull up the jet mechanism manually. It was a simple arrangement of two concentric cylinders where the inner one with the nozzle on top could rise so that the bottom of the inner one formed a seal with the top of the (fixed in place) outer cylinder when deployed.

I don't know if it's possble to do this on our cars but it might be worth having a look.

Must admit, I can't remember the last time I saw mine working. I'll have to check them.
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 14:04   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Thanks, I did check the nozzles/cover and they are free and easy to lift the covers and extend the spray nozzles, and they look very clean, plus they did spray a good amount after I checked the pump motor on a 12 supply and replaced it but it only worked once.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 16:14   #4
papalazarou

Don't they also only work when the headlights are on? I wish they were activated seperately with a switch on the light stalk. I hate it when i've just washed the car only to have the washer spray all over the bonnet and then dry - annoying!!!
papalazarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 18:52   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalazarou View Post
Don't they also only work when the headlights are on? I wish they were activated seperately with a switch on the light stalk. I hate it when i've just washed the car only to have the washer spray all over the bonnet and then dry - annoying!!!
Thank you you saved the day, I never realised the headlights have to be on, I thought it was just every 5th screen wash, I have just tried them with headlights turned on manually and the washers are working, my lights are always on auto so never realised and its a while since I drove at night.

Just a side note; while testing them, I was pulling the washer stalk and counting the pulls in quick succession and headlight washers were still not working, then I pulled the stalk and waited for the wipers to come to a rest before pulling it again then the headlight washers work on the 5th pull, "with the headlights on"
(you must let the wash/wipe cycle finish before each pull of the stalk)
Old May 1st, 2022, 17:31   #6
papalazarou

Glad to be of assistance!
papalazarou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to papalazarou For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2022, 13:53   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalazarou View Post
Glad to be of assistance!
I have only had the car 6 years
Old May 2nd, 2022, 18:28   #8
Chudy85
Volvo family member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I have only had the car 6 years
no worries mate i have reported that to Volvo and guy came switched on lights and tested all worked then he mentions that lights have to be on to activate the washers
The Following User Says Thank You to Chudy85 For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2022, 22:04   #9
Boatie
Master Member

Just hope that the MOT tester knows!
Old May 3rd, 2022, 10:01   #10
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
Just hope that the MOT tester knows!
He passed it on previous tests so he should do. Or did not bother checking. Just to be sure I will leave the headlights switch to the manual on position so they come on with ignition.