Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Joy Of 240's, with issues...

Views : 56623

Replies : 272

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2022, 13:22   #231
CosmicBike

Grace went for her MOT this morning. Not due until 25th but I like to keep some leeway for unexpected bits. Passed again, a few minor points including the trailing arm bushes (joy), so that's a Summer job and I'm hoping the outer sleeves are OK so will drop poly bushes in.
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2022, 19:54   #232
CosmicBike

With the big jobs on the V70R out of the way, today the 240 was on the drive so jacked up to look at the rear bushes. It's actually the torque rod bushes that are worn. Bit of a battle to get the axle bolt out on the nearside, but eventually got there. Safe to say the front bushes are shot, the inner sleeve fell out. I was hoping to keep the outer of the old bushes in place and just use polybushes, but they are so rotten that they have to go. New ones on order, I expect the drivers side to be just as bad.
Add that to a screechy power steering pump (big thank you to @Othen for sending me one from his shed), and I have some work to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Torque 1.jpg (310.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Torque 2.jpg (278.6 KB, 14 views)
2007 Ford Galaxy (dog lugger)
Previous XC90 x 2, V70 x 2
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 16:15   #233
CosmicBike

Now there's a job that nearly went well, eventually. Old bushes on both torque rods drilled out and shells cut, easy. Rods cleaned up and painted, no problem. New bushes pressed in.... well the first went in very well with just the vice. The second went most of the way and then refused. I lost patience so decided that I'd take then to work next week and use the 30 ton press. Then I remembered, spring compressor!! Worked really well, all bushes done. One torque rod re-fitted, the other? Well somehow I managed to press the new bush in 90 degrees out of alignment, muppet! So I've cut a nice new bush out, and await a replacement. A few choice words here today I can tell you....
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 20:47   #234
CosmicBike

While she can't be driven I figured I'd get some of the little jobs done. Dash illuminations lamps changed today, found a place on ebay that had them at sensible prices, fiddly little sods though.
Also have an Offside headlight reflector on the way. The glass I changed last year, it had a stone chip hole in which based on the state of the reflector had been there a while. Might help a little on the darker evenings.
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 21:23   #235
CosmicBike

And we're done. Ended up replacing one of the torque rods (reaction rods) since the hole at one end was corroded and oval. The other was fine. I enjoyed a knock free drive to work this evening, being able to see where I was going and having the dash fully illuminated was nice too.
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 07:30   #236
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
And we're done. Ended up replacing one of the torque rods (reaction rods) since the hole at one end was corroded and oval. The other was fine. I enjoyed a knock free drive to work this evening, being able to see where I was going and having the dash fully illuminated was nice too.
Well done. Some more photos of all this excellent work on your Volvo would be much appreciated, and may well help others with similar issues to follow te storyline.

:-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Apr 5th, 2022 at 07:44.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2022, 10:54   #237
CosmicBike

Before assuming dog lugging duties (yes, 3 big dogs fit easily in the boot), I figured time to check gearbox oil level as it's been over 2000 miles since I had the 'box out and put new oil in when fitting the new clutch.
Jacked up the passenger side, level plug out and no fluid, but a wet plug. Added maybe 100-150ml oil. I might drop the full 'box oil content in the Summer and put fresh in.
Whilst underneath I note a little play in the centre bearing mount, something else I might have a mooch at in the Summer. Bearing is quiet, so probably just swap the mount.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 18:00   #238
CosmicBike

Grace continues to do her duty, recently that seems to have been a variety of different greyhounds from the welfare kennels I volunteer at as often as I can. Spent the afternoon working on getting all the rear suspension bolts loose ready for doing the rest of the bushings along with new shocks and springs. What a sod of a job, but all done and nipped back up on the passenger side, will do drivers side when I get the time. Unfortunately the training arm-axle bushings have rusted through, so my plans to polybush those is out the window, will have to get the M12 rod out and pull new ones in instead.
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 21:50   #239
CosmicBike

The fun continues. Quick service yesterday. Noted when working on the suspension bolts that the NSR caliper was missing 1 pin and the retaining spring plate. Sense checked the other side and all OK, confirming ATE caliper, so ordered replacements. Went to fit tonight, and no, it's a Girling caliper on the NSR, vs the ATE on the OSR. Bugger...
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 09:34   #240
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
The fun continues. Quick service yesterday. Noted when working on the suspension bolts that the NSR caliper was missing 1 pin and the retaining spring plate. Sense checked the other side and all OK, confirming ATE caliper, so ordered replacements. Went to fit tonight, and no, it's a Girling caliper on the NSR, vs the ATE on the OSR. Bugger...
Definitely non-standard; I've never seen ATE calipers on a 240 though they were fitted. The build plate should indicate what type of calipers were originally fitted but it's probable that someone has retro-fitted "whatever was lying around inthe shed".

Unlike the early Morris Marina 1.3 I heard about. The car came in for its 500-mile service and the two lads working on it were adjusting the front drum brakes; except the car had a drum on one side and a disc on the other side. Quoth the owner "I wondered why it pulled every time I braked!"

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: