Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings > VOC Section Events

Notices

VOC Section Events Meetings and Events organised by local VOC sections

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Voc @ Tatton Park week end 4/5 June 2011

Views : 9959

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2011, 23:27   #11
black and tan
I've Been Banned

I think that has put him in his place ,nicely said james
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 00:20   #12
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Could this have been better promoted? With hindsight, probably yes. Are they ways of making your point without shouting your head off? Absolutely. We're all volunteers, so a little patience and understanding wouldn't go amiss.

Maybe this would've gone better if you'd volunteered to be a forum events liaison for the region, rather than criticising? Splinter groups are nothing new. I maintain that it's better to get involved and help rather than shouting from the sidelines.

cheers

James
I Did / Have several weeks ago CTC Network NEVER Replied to my PM Offering my Help / Services Ect ect.

And I am not "shouting from the Sidelines" James I am Saying / Doing what alot of members on here are thinking. Except in MY case I have the "Out going" type of Character / Personality that enables me to actually SAY what needs to said & not sit back on my Hands.

Moreover I am NOT Criticising ANYONE I mearly replied to a post that stated (In a VERY NICE way) .. "Well Stuff you lot, it aint our fault if yer didn't read the Calendar" Where-as EVERY other Single Event is STICKIED into the Main Forum.

Look James, I have always found you to be fair in your judgements (Like T'other nite with EmmDee) ... I don't Rant & rave on & swear in my replies I just say what needs to said in (what I consider) to be fair & balanced way.

But you & I both know that for months now People up in Scotland & the North have been Whingeing about the Distances they would have to travel to meets that are (To us) Waaaayyy down South. & then completely out of the blue we find a "presdidiious" Event has taken place within easy reach of most of us & ITS THE ONLY ONE NOT STICKIED INTO THE MAIN FORUM.

Put yerself in our shoes ... HOW WOULD YOU FEEL ?????
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; Jun 7th, 2011 at 00:23.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 00:21   #13
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by black and tan View Post
I think that has put him in his place ,nicely said james
EXCUSE ME fer crawling out from under my Rock ..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 00:48   #14
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

The national has been at York twice in recent years. It's been down south for a few years, but finding venues really isn't easy. If you have any ideas, I'm sure the guys will be all ears...but bear in mind it needs to accommodate caravans, and provide something for all the family.

I'm sure the reason it wasn't stickied had nothing to do with regional bias, nor anything to do with non-members. There is a debate about how open you make club events to non-members (generally speaking the major club-organised events are open for all to attend, but you have to be a member to 'show'), or else there's no point in joining....and yes, of course there are certain perks given to members (again, why else have membership?)...but that doesn't extend to preferential treatment re: event promotion, as Nigel has already said.

There's a stickied thread linking to the calendar. If you spot something you think should be stickied...let someone know, and we'll sticky it. There's no conspiracy...we're just busy and might not notice all these things! As for your offer...Des does a huge amount around here, and might not notice everything. If you can find the message in your sent items, drop me a line with it...

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 07:20   #15
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default hooded claw

quote ""Doing what alot of members on here are thinking.""" end quote

Where is the poll that prooves that statement??
Who have you asked what they are thinking and what was their response??
Which percentage of forumusers does that represent??

Until you come up with the substantiated proof that you are the representativ of "" a lot of members""" you are merely an agressor shouting from the sideline
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 10:28   #16
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodgar View Post

Until you come up with the substantiated proof that you are the representativ of "" a lot of members""" you are merely an agressor shouting from the sideline
Well I for one agree with Keith. If the event had been stickied in the events section it would have attracted more attention and quite possibly a better turnout.

I think it would be more productive to discuss the ideas put forward than to descend into bickering. The phrase you selectively quoted is a "turn of phrase" used commonly up North rather than a serious, scientific statement of fact.

If you want to descend into bickering I could mention that Forest Row is in East Sussex so I could sensibly ask what a meet in Tatton Park has got to do with you but I'm not that way inclined.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 12:59   #17
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodgar View Post

Not getting into that ^^^^^ What other Members discuss with ME is Bugger all to do with you or anyone else fer that matter....

Now GO AWAY

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; Jun 7th, 2011 at 13:39.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 13:03   #18
dooghoog

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Could this have been better promoted? With hindsight, probably yes. Are they ways of making your point without shouting your head off? Absolutely. We're all volunteers, so a little patience and understanding wouldn't go amiss.

Maybe this would've gone better if you'd volunteered to be a forum events liaison for the region, rather than criticising? Splinter groups are nothing new. I maintain that it's better to get involved and help rather than shouting from the sidelines.

cheers

James
I hope I'm not seen as setting up a splinter group! This was the first bite at the cherry and I had no idea how it was going to go. I also have no idea what anyone is talking about with 'stickers' and stuff online?
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 13:38   #19
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooghoog View Post
I hope I'm not seen as setting up a splinter group! This was the first bite at the cherry and I had no idea how it was going to go. I also have no idea what anyone is talking about with 'stickers' and stuff online?

Don't worry Doug I aint (& never would) have a go at you mate but your post does highlight one of the things I stated in my previous post (That some Members are "unfamiliar" with using the forum to its full extent)

Keith
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 13:42   #20
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooghoog View Post

Don't worry Doug I aint (& never would) have a go at you mate but your post does highlight one of the things I stated in my previous post (That some Members are "unfamiliar" with using the forum to its full extent)

Vis (From my "reply" Post on page 1)

Quote:
you are making an assumption that all members know how to Navigate around the forum ... This is Not so I know many member on here who are able to "Find" their Section & little else.
Keith
Closed Thread