Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Refurbing alloys

Views : 655

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2021, 21:50   #1
LiamM

Default Refurbing alloys

Need some advice, my xc90 is a late 2006 140k and doing well.
Only issue is very slow punctures on two wheels, but slow as in it goes softvover three weeks. I've been told that it's most likely the tyre or valve not seating properly due to poor seal and that a refurb would sort it.

Does that sound likely?

My plan is to wait a month or so untill I've the full use out if the tyres and get them refurbed maybe painted a darker colour.

It'd lift the cars looks a bit, or woukd it be more sensible to think about new alloys and maybe go from 18s to 19 or 20s?
LiamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 22:14   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamM View Post
Need some advice, my xc90 is a late 2006 140k and doing well.
Only issue is very slow punctures on two wheels, but slow as in it goes softvover three weeks. I've been told that it's most likely the tyre or valve not seating properly due to poor seal and that a refurb would sort it.

Does that sound likely?

My plan is to wait a month or so untill I've the full use out if the tyres and get them refurbed maybe painted a darker colour.

It'd lift the cars looks a bit, or woukd it be more sensible to think about new alloys and maybe go from 18s to 19 or 20s?
I can’t see how a refurb will solve the leak.

You need to go to a puncture repair place, get them to fix the punctures in your tyres & reseal them onto the alloy (its like an adhesive they use). Or, buy new tyres.

There’s no point buying new alloys for the sake of it. Fix the punctures (if possible), or replace the two leaky tyres.

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 1st, 2021 at 22:17.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 22:42   #3
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

It is possible and it's not unheard of, even on Volvos. The only way to be sure is to remove your tyres and inspect the part of the rim where the tyre seats for any corrosion. If that should be the case then no sealant additive will do more than provide a temporary fix, if even that.

A proper full refurb would cure it, but the partial refurb of the type SMART repairers do won't help at all.

Let us know how you get on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I can’t see how a refurb will solve the leak.
In this scenario the leak occurs when corrosion forms and compromises the seal between the tyre and the rim. A proper refurb restores the smooth surface for the tyre to seal upon.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Aug 1st, 2021 at 22:45.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 22:58   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
It is possible and it's not unheard of, even on Volvos. The only way to be sure is to remove your tyres and inspect the part of the rim where the tyre seats for any corrosion. If that should be the case then no sealant additive will do more than provide a temporary fix, if even that.

A proper full refurb would cure it, but the partial refurb of the type SMART repairers do won't help at all.

Let us know how you get on.

In this scenario the leak occurs when corrosion forms and compromises the seal between the tyre and the rim. A proper refurb restores the smooth surface for the tyre to seal upon.
If you go to a place that actually does a proper job, you won’t need a wheel refurb.

My dad’s V70 suffered from leaky tyres. The chap cleaned the alloy fully after removing the tyre with what looked like wire wool, added sealant & they haven’t leaked since. I suppose it depends how bad the leak is.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 23:05   #5
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Thats a bodge, not a proper job.

The tyre should fit and seal on a clean rim with no need for sealers. This is how they come from the factory. This is how 99.99% of cars on the road have their tyres fitted.

And the sealant won't be a long term cure. If it is the case that the OP is losing air due to alloy corrosion the sealant will only provide a temporary cure, if it works at all, The area will continue to corrode and worsen and will eventually leak again. Cleaning the area with wire will provides a clean surface, but it remains exposed and will continue to corrode. That defers the problem for another day, it does not cure it.

Its little different to corrosion anywhere else on the car. Rub it down, buff it with wire wool...but leave it like that and it won't be very long before you are back where you began.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Aug 1st, 2021 at 23:08. Reason: Typosijhbf
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Familyman 90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 23:19   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Thats a bodge, not a proper job.

The tyre should fit and seal on a clean rim with no need for sealers. This is how they come from the factory. This is how 99.99% of cars on the road have their tyres fitted.

And the sealant won't be a long term cure. If it is the case that the OP is losing air due to alloy corrosion the sealant will only provide a temporary cure, if it works at all, The area will continue to corrode and worsen and will eventually leak again. Cleaning the area with wire will provides a clean surface, but it remains exposed and will continue to corrode. That defers the problem for another day, it does not cure it.

Its little different to corrosion anywhere else on the car. Rub it down, buff it with wire wool...but leave it like that and it won't be very long before you are back where you began.
Its been two years since this was done… I wouldn’t call it a “bodge”.

Bring it to a place that knows what they’re doing & aren’t trying to do 100 cars at once & it could be a much cheaper option than buying new alloys or a refurb.

Spend time = better results.