Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanted 145 ???

Views : 2922

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 18:46   #1
Steve 940
Premier Member

Default Wanted 145 ???

Hi,

Just 6 months or so into my first Volvo experience, following purchase of a '94 940 2.0 Turbo Wentworth Estate Auto with 70k verified miles. Loving it as a daily driver, albeit with a seemingly endless to do list and an MOT looming In May😀
Thing is though, I just keep getting drawn onto the 145 section, and just think I may have a 145 shaped space in the shed, just love the appeal of '70's simplicity.

Ideal would be something like a '72 or '73 with slimmer bumpers, but with single section side glass on the load area.

Am I deluded and deranged......?

Project considered as long as it's complete, welding and trimming I can handle I think, mechanicals I'd hope should be pretty straight forward although appreciate any input on parts availability, my concerns are thing like window rubbers, trim and mouldings etc.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 09:38   #2
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi,

Just 6 months or so into my first Volvo experience, following purchase of a '94 940 2.0 Turbo Wentworth Estate Auto with 70k verified miles. Loving it as a daily driver, albeit with a seemingly endless to do list and an MOT looming In May😀
Thing is though, I just keep getting drawn onto the 145 section, and just think I may have a 145 shaped space in the shed, just love the appeal of '70's simplicity.

Ideal would be something like a '72 or '73 with slimmer bumpers, but with single section side glass on the load area.

Am I deluded and deranged......?

Project considered as long as it's complete, welding and trimming I can handle I think, mechanicals I'd hope should be pretty straight forward although appreciate any input on parts availability, my concerns are thing like window rubbers, trim and mouldings etc.

Cheers
Steve
There's not much going on here in the 140 section, you may get more joy from Facebook.

They are out there but you'll need to look hard to find one so good luck.
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 10:23   #3
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Burdekin,

Many thanks for your suggestion, I have seen several of your posts I think not that long ago when Doocey posted a query about buying a 144.

Since joining this forum, I have been constantly amazed by the amount of help and detailed knowledge from like minded enthusiasts of cars that don't conform to the usual norms.

I am not on Facebook but with give it a look, do you have a link for the site at all please??

Ive been 'just' looking for the last couple of months on the usual online sites, and kicking myself really as one came up around 3 moths ago, complete and for around £2750 but it was a non runner and miles away from me. At the time I was so busy with work I just didn't have time to look at it.

Oh well, I'll just keep looking, although I think the wallet and the better half would prefer it if they remain elusive😀

Cheers
Steve
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 13:40   #4
Rocinante
Master Member

How deep are your pockets ?

1973 Volvo 145 DeLuxe £16995
https://www.classicsandsupercars.co....vo-145-deluxe/
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 13:44   #5
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

This is probably the most active one on fb: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1317854121980734

Also the 245 could be modified to look like a 145 if you prefer the styling of the 145.

Also try ebay, message the folk selling 145 stuff if they know of a 145 for sale. Also message the owners on here and ask them etc. I got offered one just after I bought my 142 but it was nearer the £10k mark.
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 14:10   #6
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Rocinate,

Yes I had seen that one, Pockets not that deep to take the hit all at once😀 There's also another great one I think in the Netherlands for similar money, but in dark navy with deep red interior... just the colour choice I would go for.

Cheers
Steve
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 14:14   #7
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Burdekin,

Many thanks for the link, much appreciated.

I do prefer the appearance of the earlier slim bumper 145's, so your mention of 245 to 145 was most interesting.

Not seen any of these conversions that I'm aware of, but as a ballpark what would that involve? Sourcing used 145 wings, front panels, bumpers etc? Or much more involved??

Cheers
Steve
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 17:16   #8
142 Guy
Master Member

Just a thought.

You currently have a 1994 940 estate. I had a 1987 745 turbo and finally sold it in 2014. It was a really useful vehicle; but, it was starting to creep up the wrong side of the bathtub reliability curve and I didn't need that because I already had a 142 resto on the go. Your 940 is about the same age as my 745 when I sold it so I expect that it is starting to suffer the advanced decrepitude phenomena. Its essentially transitioning to old (vintage???) status.

If you purchase a 145 you are going to have two old cars both of which will likely have ongoing maintenance and money requirements. That is OK if you have mad money available, spare time and a real car for regular driving duties. The thing is, you now have two old cars that are almost identical in their driving experience. The B230 T engine is quieter and more powerful than a B20 and the 940 has R&P steering so will feel slightly newer; but, they are fundamentally very close. Neither of them are sporty and the 145 will be slightly less pleasant (more 1960ish) to drive. If your objective is to create a Volvo estate collection, then OK. If you are looking for something a little different I would be inclined to try a P1800 or an Amazon, otherwise its just more of the same.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 18:51   #9
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi 142 Guy,

Many thanks for your input, and mmmm wise advice.

Cheers
Steve
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 07:25   #10
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Just a thought.

You currently have a 1994 940 estate. I had a 1987 745 turbo and finally sold it in 2014. It was a really useful vehicle; but, it was starting to creep up the wrong side of the bathtub reliability curve and I didn't need that because I already had a 142 resto on the go. Your 940 is about the same age as my 745 when I sold it so I expect that it is starting to suffer the advanced decrepitude phenomena. Its essentially transitioning to old (vintage???) status.

If you purchase a 145 you are going to have two old cars both of which will likely have ongoing maintenance and money requirements. That is OK if you have mad money available, spare time and a real car for regular driving duties. The thing is, you now have two old cars that are almost identical in their driving experience. The B230 T engine is quieter and more powerful than a B20 and the 940 has R&P steering so will feel slightly newer; but, they are fundamentally very close. Neither of them are sporty and the 145 will be slightly less pleasant (more 1960ish) to drive. If your objective is to create a Volvo estate collection, then OK. If you are looking for something a little different I would be inclined to try a P1800 or an Amazon, otherwise its just more of the same.
This is a really good point: the OP could end up with two quite similar motor cars (separated by 20 years - not long in Volvo evolutionary terms). In my experience the P1800 and Amazon offer a sufficiently different driving and maintenance experience from the 200/700/900 line.

Just my thoughts.

Alan