Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

144 N/S Rear Wheel Clunking noise

Views : 804

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2022, 22:38   #1
80sRich

Default 144 N/S Rear Wheel Clunking noise

Hi All,

I'm getting a clunking noise when going over potholes (there are quite a few in South Wales) from the N/S Rear wheel.

I don't think it's exhaust (it's not a tinny enough noise) or back axle noise (as it's just on one side).

The noise also seems to bounce on particularly bad bumps.

I have just fitted a new brake caliper to this side (I had to file this down as the car has 14" alloys on it).

Can you guys advise on things to check?

This is the kind of thing my father would have known straight away, but sadly he died last year, so I'm on my own with this car now!!!
80sRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 01:08   #2
142 Guy
Master Member

Start by jacking the car up so that you can remove the wheel. Secure the vehicle on blocks to be safe. Remove the wheel and examine for obvious problems. I would be inclined to start with the dashpot / shock absorber. Grab it and shake it to check for motion or noises. What you are checking for is failure of the bushing at either end of the shock or loose mounting bolts. 140s built prior to 1972 or 1973 were notorious for the rear shock mounting bolt coming loose in the trailing arm allowing the shock to bang around. There was a retrofit kit with a revised mounting bolt; but, you vehicle may not have received the upgrade (Volvo was not particularly proactive about applying fixes).

If it is not the shock that is the problem, examine the big bushing on the front of the trailing arm (if it is original it should be toast by now) and the bushings on the front and rear of the torque arm ( the rod mounted on top of the big trailing arm). Also, check the bushing on either end of the panhard rod (rod that diagonally connects one end of the rear axle to the body at the either end).

If it is not the shock or the bushings, things are more complicated and likely more expensive.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote