Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cold start issues

Views : 984

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:35   #1
Hayvosh

Unhappy Cold start issues

Hello all,

I have a long going problem with my XC70 2010 (D5244T10 Engine).
For the past two years I've had a cold starting issue that has been haunting me whenever it gets colder outside (below +15C the issues start).

The problem occurs when the car has been sitting for around 8 hours or more, and the problem is that it has a really rough start and what sounds like missfires.
I've had it to Volvo two times, but they cant find the problem and VIDA gives no error codes. When the car is started it starts up rough and missfires some for about 10-15 seconds, then it runs just perfectly.
And when the engine is warm none of this happens, it starts perfect.

Also if I use the diesel heater around 10-15 minutes before I start the car, it also runs just fine, as well if run the electrial parking heater.. this for around maybe 1 hour as it's slower.

What is annoying me also is that I get no fault codes what so ever, so I do not even know where to look.

And the list of replaced things in the car is getting quite huge, I have replaced with both new and used parts.

Compression is also good, around 23kg/cylinder.

So here's the things I've replaced so far:

Battery (new)
Generator (used, charges 14,4 on idle)
Glowplugs (twice, all 5 each time)
Coolant sensor (new)
Fuel temperature sensor (new)
Fuel pressure valves (both high pressure return and low pressure value, used)
Glowplug relay (used)
Exhaust temperature sensor (used)
Lambdasensor (used)
MAF Sensor (new)
MAP Sensor (New)
TMAP Sensor (used)
Starter motor (new)
Fuel filter (new)
Fuel filter housing (used)
Injectors (used, programmed by volvo)
Vakuumpump (used)

This is a video from my car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_HICgd4waM
Hayvosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 20:52   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Try cleaning the throttle body & EGR valve.

Use carb cleaner & have plenty of old cloths available, as it can be a dirty job.
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 21:05   #3
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

And PPE. That's carcinogenic gunk.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 22:23   #4
Hayvosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
And PPE. That's carcinogenic gunk.
Just for clarification, what is PPE? :-)
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 22:23   #5
Hayvosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Try cleaning the throttle body & EGR valve.

Use carb cleaner & have plenty of old cloths available, as it can be a dirty job.
I'll give that a go tomorrow and see if it makes a difference, thanks!
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 22:52   #6
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayvosh View Post
Just for clarification, what is PPE? :-)
Sorry, personal protective equipment. Gloves for sure, and probably a mask too, since you've likely got some lying around!
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 23:08   #7
Olaf Els

As the problem is so directly related to the temperature of the engine block, could it be that it's something physical that's reducing compression? Examples are a stuck piston ring or valve stem that then frees up once it has warmed a little. Probably not easy to do a compression test at -15C, but wondering if that would reveal something?

It might be worth trying using a proprietory product that's formulated for the purpose.

On the other hand if your vehicle is 11 years old and the problem is eliminated by using a source of heat, does it matter much if it's not fixed?
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 20:03   #8
Hayvosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Els View Post
As the problem is so directly related to the temperature of the engine block, could it be that it's something physical that's reducing compression? Examples are a stuck piston ring or valve stem that then frees up once it has warmed a little. Probably not easy to do a compression test at -15C, but wondering if that would reveal something?

It might be worth trying using a proprietory product that's formulated for the purpose.

On the other hand if your vehicle is 11 years old and the problem is eliminated by using a source of heat, does it matter much if it's not fixed?
Hello and thank you for your reply! :-)

It does not have to be -15 fortunately, but yeah I can ofcourse do another compression test while it's colder outside. Actually a good idea, as the former test I did was indoors.

Can you recommend any good products for cleaning things like this?

You are ofcourse right, it's not really a huge problem. It's more that I want to know the source of the problem as it has been annoying me for such a long time and no one has been able to find the source of the issue.
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 22:00   #9
Olaf Els

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayvosh View Post
Hello and thank you for your reply! :-)

It does not have to be -15 fortunately, but yeah I can ofcourse do another compression test while it's colder outside. Actually a good idea, as the former test I did was indoors.

Can you recommend any good products for cleaning things like this?

You are ofcourse right, it's not really a huge problem. It's more that I want to know the source of the problem as it has been annoying me for such a long time and no one has been able to find the source of the issue.
I've never had this situation personally, so I am not in a position to recommend any product. If you Google 'piston ring cleaner' or similar, you will be directed towards various products and videos. Some of them may be useful.

I do understand your desire to identify the source of the problem. Things that don't work 100% as intended infuriate me too. Once I know what's wrong, it's more manageable.

Good luck! Please update the thread if you identify the cause.
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 12:14   #10
Hayvosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Els View Post
I've never had this situation personally, so I am not in a position to recommend any product. If you Google 'piston ring cleaner' or similar, you will be directed towards various products and videos. Some of them may be useful.

I do understand your desire to identify the source of the problem. Things that don't work 100% as intended infuriate me too. Once I know what's wrong, it's more manageable.

Good luck! Please update the thread if you identify the cause.
This morning while it was cold out, I did a compressiontest before starting the car, and I am no diesel guru by any means but I think these values are ok?

cyl5 - 25 bar
cyl4 - 26 bar
cyl3 - 25 bar
cyl2 - 24 bar
cyl1 - 25 bar