Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vodafone 100GB SIM not working

Views : 24141

Replies : 151

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2020, 14:25   #131
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post
I bought a Three SIM last year ready for car to arrive - then my car was delayed and Vodafone SIM was announced, so I decided to use that as it was free.

I do however still have the Three SIM, so I might just fit that instead.

Is there actually any benefit to using a SIM vs using phone data? I have my phone paired on bluetooth, and 100GB per month data on my contract, and with car set t use bluetooth data it connects almost instantly to data when I get in car. What benefit (if any) would I gain using the SIM?
No benefit over using your phone. I tether my phone and 99% of the time it works seamlessly only issue is in areas of poor signal that I suspect most offerings will experience (maybe not three so much).
No idea why Volvo can't get this right it's beyond poor. Friend had an Audi with virtual cockpit, Audio supply the data and extend over 3 years free of charge (currently) has no issues at all. Imagine how Volvo would get on with virtual cockpit!!
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 17:15   #132
Fortune7
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxworks View Post
The car is already setup and working well with a T-Mobile data sim (including RTTI), I've now been passed to 2nd line support at Vodafone to try and get their Sim going.

Andy
Good Luck with Vodafone '2nd tier support'! I've had my 'case' in with them since last Wednesday and despite chasing 3 times since - nothing!

If anyone here in the same boat (waiting-on Vodafone to reset / improve / rebuild their registration website) has success can you report it here with how it was done, please? I was thinking it was a 3G/4G signal-strength issue but I've tried the process in 3 or 4 different locations where signal is better-than-home and the (internetinthecar.vodafone.com) site can't be reached.

Cheers, Andy
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 10:40   #133
Fortune7
VOC Member

Success! And there was me thinking that Coronavirus would be sorted before this issue.

I tried again this morning in an area of better signal-strength than home and after getting the usual 'site can't be reached' a couple of times, it connected and allowed me to complete the registration process. Whether this was due to better signal or if coincidentally Vodafone unplugged the kettle from the extension-lead and re-connected their server is anyone's guess.

I can only advise those who can't connect to the internetinthecar site keep trying.....

Cheers, Andy
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 11:52   #134
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

That is exactly what happened to me when doing 1st reg back in Dec. It took 4vattempts in different signal strength zones. Happily it has worked faultlessly since.
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 15:56   #135
Traxworks

And success here as well, not sure if Vodafone 2nd/3rd line did anything but tried another location (only 4 bar signal strength) and it worked. Registered using iPad and Safari.
P.S. Vodafone currently list renewal price as £100 per 100GB per year so at that point I'll probably change to another supplier.
Traxworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 20:25   #136
key76

Even in a city centre where my EE phone has full signal, I struggle to get a decent signal on the Vodafone SIM.

Is it just a crappy modem/antenna or has Vodafone got a lot worse since I was last a customer 10 years ago?

Is anyone else getting poor signal? Be interested if anyone has a Vodafone phone and how It compares to the car in same location.
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 21:41   #137
xc60T8

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
No benefit over using your phone. I tether my phone and 99% of the time it works seamlessly only issue is in areas of poor signal that I suspect most offerings will experience (maybe not three so much).
No idea why Volvo can't get this right it's beyond poor. Friend had an Audi with virtual cockpit, Audio supply the data and extend over 3 years free of charge (currently) has no issues at all. Imagine how Volvo would get on with virtual cockpit!!
Doesn’t the Volvo on call use the sim when you’re trying to do anything remote with the app or is that done in some other way ?
xc60T8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 08:08   #138
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc60T8 View Post
Doesn’t the Volvo on call use the sim when you’re trying to do anything remote with the app or is that done in some other way ?
VOC uses the in car SIM, however, once you insert your own device be it three Vodafone etc it will use that instead.
(Does in my smoker anyway)
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 10:02   #139
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
VOC uses the in car SIM, however, once you insert your own device be it three Vodafone etc it will use that instead.
(Does in my smoker anyway)
Yep, if you fit your own SIM, all data is routed through that.
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 15:07   #140
DriverDen

Default Standard Vodafone setup

I got a standard Vodafone SIM to use in my car as it was the best deal I could find. As part of the process Vodafone insisted that I get a text message from them (or send a text, I can't remmeber now) and they wouldn't move from this at all, so I ended up getting an old unlocked phone, just so I could put the SIM into it to register it, so I could then take the SIM and put it in my car.

Bit pee'd off with Vodafone about this, seems to be behind the time, not allowing for data only usage of SIMs in devices other than phones.
Previous - XC60 D5, 2 x V70, Santa Fe, Mondeo, Primera, Metro
DriverDen is offline   Reply With Quote