Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should I get my car Rica'd?

Views : 6311

Replies : 103

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 17:17   #81
volvotuning

Yes, this was the FIRST time that Jason came over, with a 15G turbo. The car was over here for remap only.

The SECOND time Jason came over, it was for the 19T upgrade, except by this time the MAF was very crap and other sensors too, plus no 98 RON, so we couldn't tune it very heavily.

In summary, the story is like this -

1. Jason came over with his T5 for an ECU upgrade on the standard 15G turbo.
2. Jason returns home. Car does not produce 300 bhp due to problems mentioned.
3. Performance improved as time went on and eventually the car produced 290+ bhp as mentioned, with heat soak and lack of traction at the time preventing 300+.
4. Several months later, Jason wanted the 19T upgrade so he came over again.
5. 19T upgrade was fitted. Car could not be tuned on the road, so we tried to dyno tune it, but only 260-270 bhp was possible. It was discovered that there were MANY problems with the car that needed fixing, and with no more time, the car left with a mild tune. Latest RR confirmed the problems were with MAF and fuel grade.
6. Problems with the car were fixed and good 98 RON sourced, car performing much better. Now going for RR with new software to test.

Adam.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 17:25   #82
jason

Hi all,
Just a short note this time,should have new software this wed. from Volovtuning the car is provisionally booked on the rr for Monday afternoon,will post new results of tuned maps.

regards

Jason
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 20:29   #83
Ross9
Master Member

Default RE: Should I get my car Rica'd?

Hi James,

my rolling road result did show that the ecu was retarding the timing when it sensed detonation, and believe me it was just as well it did, as the in car boost guage indicated that the T4 was peaking at 1.1BAR as i wanted, but when it was on the dyno i saw it was actually making 1.2 most of the time and it peaked at 1.3 BAR...scary biscuits. The car's air/fuel mix seemed to be fine, they reckoned that the detonation was possibly being caused by the standard exhaust strangling the air flow. the intake temps weren't very high (38-47 degrees) but the incidence of the detonation seemed to be more frequent on the second power run when the engine was visibly a few degrees warmer. so they felt that changing to an after market exhaust and, naturally, turning the boost down a tad in the interim might sort out the problem.

ideally an exhaust and a remap would probably be the best thing to do. all i need is a sponsor lol.

Out of interest the car made 205bhp @ the wheels;
(A.V.A don't do torque or flywheel figures though)

jacqueline.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 09:46   #84
enrm6

Your description is the same as my understanding of the situation and is not contrary to my original post. Thus, I'm not sure what you are trying to say?

>In summary, the story is like this -
>
>1. Jason came over with his T5 for an ECU upgrade on the
>standard 15G turbo.
>2. Jason returns home. Car does not produce 300 bhp due to
>problems mentioned.
>3. Performance improved as time went on and eventually the
>car produced 290+ bhp as mentioned, with heat soak and lack of
>traction at the time preventing 300+.

i.e a car with a knackered turbo and other problems would produce 300 bhp on the road or on a rolling road that can accommodate the traction and with a bigger fan.

>4. Several months later, Jason wanted the 19T upgrade so he
>came over again.
>5. 19T upgrade was fitted. Car could not be tuned on the
>road, so we tried to dyno tune it, but only 260-270 bhp was
>possible. It was discovered that there were MANY problems with
>the car that needed fixing, and with no more time, the car
>left with a mild tune. Latest RR confirmed the problems were
>with MAF and fuel grade.
>6. Problems with the car were fixed and good 98 RON sourced,
>car performing much better. Now going for RR with new software
>to test.

i.e after quite abit of work and a new, bigger, turbo we should see 340 bhp.

Therefore my original comments of 300 bhp for a car in a bad way seems good, and 340 bhp doensn't seem a lot more for a car in optimum shape.
enrm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 10:20   #85
volvotuning

No, 300 bhp was when the car was good, on the 15G turbo. When it was bad, it only managed 270 bhp.

1. Bad car with 15G = 270 bhp
2. Good car with 15G = 300 bhp
3. Bad car with 19T = 270 bhp
4. Good car with 19T = 340 bhp.

You can arrange this list in any order you like!!!

Adam.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 13:22   #86
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Naturally it would retard the timing when the knock sensor said 'easy, tiger', but my question was in relation to Adam's comment re: boosting an 850, with the MAF telling the ECU what the current boost level is, and the ECU trying to back it off because it has deviated from the expected pressure. I'm interested to know how the x40 T4 ECU (EMS 2000?) would cope with this same situation. I guess it may well not use a MAF sensor anyway.

Where possible (when you don't need to remap the ECU to do so...I *DO* want 15psi of boost, thank you Mr ECU) a bleed valve is a much cheaper way of adding boost. Maybe 'Farmer Duane' could pipe up now...have you had your 850 (stock ECU with an MBC?) dyno'd to see what the MBC is doing to the ECU?

As for the boost gauge...I'm not making a judgement of the quality of boost gauge you bought...but sub-£50 boost gauges are famous for being potentially innaccurate.

Flywheel figures from a rolling road are an educated guess at best anyway :) Generally in 'performance circles' you only talk about WHP when discussing RR figures.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 13:35   #87
volvotuning

As far as I know, this T4 has a modified ECU. From what I recall, Jaqu had it dynod and it was producing much more power than standard. With this in mind, the parameters would probably be ok to work with the MBC. It still uses the MAF.

I agree on the boost gauge!!!! You need a very high quality one for good accuracy.

Adam.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 13:07   #88
enrm6

>No, 300 bhp was when the car was good, on the 15G turbo. When
>it was bad, it only managed 270 bhp.
>
>1. Bad car with 15G = 270 bhp
>2. Good car with 15G = 300 bhp

But I thought you said the 15G was: "1. Worn turbo - so worn that the vanes on the turbo were actually worn away at the edges, leaving a 3mm gap around the outer edge."

So even if the MAF sensor, the boost control solonoid, the RPM sensor and the spark plugs all failed after point number 2 in your list, the turbo was knackered. So 300 bhp is a good figure.

enrm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 13:18   #89
volvotuning

Russ, the 15G wasn't always that worn. We noticed how worn it had become when we swapped the turbos. Shortly prior to coming over for the 19T upgrade, Jason did report strange boost behaviour.

Adam.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 14:38   #90
a803sgo

ok guys we get the point!!!

it was broke now its fixed