Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Super chuffed with my new hi-spec 240 GLT!

Views : 60601

Replies : 204

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2011, 08:12   #81
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
I was just poking a little fun at Volvo's use of K-Jet well into the EFI era...
Yeah, and yet my 1973 164E has OE electronic injection. Volvo were amongst the first batch of manufacturers to use this on road cars (along with VW, Porsche and a few others I think). Maybe they conlcuded that K-jet was better and/or cheaper than the early EFI systems?

From discussion on turbobricks, many non-UK members were very surpised to see K-jet on a car as late as 1990, so it seems that the UK market was late to get the upgrade to EFI on 240s.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 12:17   #82
nick_ovlov
VOC20556

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post

From discussion on turbobricks, many non-UK members were very surpised to see K-jet on a car as late as 1990, so it seems that the UK market was late to get the upgrade to EFI on 240s.

John
I would reckon that has a lot to do with uk emission regulation- america was tighter on it so required cat's etc.

from memory in the uk 1990 a cat was a nco which changed the 230e to a 230K i think. either way it meant the car had efi... there are glts out there with a lambda sond grille badge.

Nick
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 12:39   #83
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_ovlov View Post
I would reckon that has a lot to do with uk emission regulation- america was tighter on it so required cat's etc.

from memory in the uk 1990 a cat was a nco which changed the 230e to a 230K i think. either way it meant the car had efi... there are glts out there with a lambda sond grille badge.

Nick
Yes, I remember that time.

IIRC, a Toyota Celica was the very first car available in the UK with a cat. A brave move to specify one, back then, because hardly any garages sold unleaded fuel and a new cat was £2000...

John

PS, Nick you have a PM

The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 13:06   #84
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Oh yeah, it's undoubtedly emissions related. K-Jet was presumably cheaper to install, and the non-emissions-spec cars made more power, etc.

My understanding is that D-Jet was considered to be unreliable and expensive, so they went back to mechanical FI while EFI "matured". My old man bought a carbed 360 back in the early 90s (instead of an injected GLT) because he was still concerned about the bad reputation which early EFI systems had...

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 14:29   #85
john h
VOC Member

I think cost would have been a big factor, plus fear/ignorance of fuel injection in the trade. Plus Triumph's infamous PI engine breakdowns put off the already cautious UK buyers.

Even today, when an EFI car has a mysterious running fault, many people (both amatuers and some professionals) are too quick to put the blame on the ECU when in fact that's normally one of the most reliable parts of a car.

In reality, I've done lots of miles in two EFI 164Es (both old cars at the time I owned them) and I never had a moment's bother with the injection on either car. Whereas the carb 164 I had gave considerable grief, with split diaphrams, worn bits, going out of tune, etc. Give me injection any day!

I have 2 old cars with the clockwork injection now, the 240 and my daily '86 Merccedes 500SEL... and [gripping onto my wooden desk here] both seem to run perfectly fine!

John

Old Feb 4th, 2011, 15:13   #86
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
Even today, when an EFI car has a mysterious running fault, many people (both amatuers and some professionals) are too quick to put the blame on the ECU when in fact that's normally one of the most reliable parts of a car.
I've only ever owned two cars with ECUs; an '87 El Camino and an '89 BMW 635. Both ending up with severe and mysterious ECU problems. The BMW so bad it became un-driveable and only a chance swap of the ECU solved the mystery. I gave up on the El Camino and sold it with the failed ECU - again, just lost of mysterious running problems.

Have had two cars with K-jet and they're solid. Have one carburetted car at the moment and they don't *break*. Some will occasionally require adjustment, but they'll still keep running. Mind you, both the carburetted cars I have had had proper carburettors, not those silly ones Volvos and other European cars use...

I will never, ever again buy a car with an ECU and/or EFI - just not worth the problems.
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 15:45   #87
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsing View Post
I've only ever owned two cars with ECUs; an '87 El Camino and an '89 BMW 635. Both ending up with severe and mysterious ECU problems. The BMW so bad it became un-driveable and only a chance swap of the ECU solved the mystery. I gave up on the El Camino and sold it with the failed ECU - again, just lost of mysterious running problems.

Have had two cars with K-jet and they're solid. Have one carburetted car at the moment and they don't *break*. Some will occasionally require adjustment, but they'll still keep running. Mind you, both the carburetted cars I have had had proper carburettors, not those silly ones Volvos and other European cars use...

I will never, ever again buy a car with an ECU and/or EFI - just not worth the problems.

It's best to go with what you're happy with of course, but I do think you've been unlucky with your experiences.

At a rough estimate, I've driven about 650,000 miles on ECU cars, some newish but most of them between 10 and 30 years old, from Sweden, Germany, France, Belgium and the UK. Never had the slightest problem with any ECU. That's good enough for me!

Have fun with your carbs - but I won't be joning you!

John

PS, to go with the supercharger, my 164 will be having a mapable Emerald ECU that allows all sorts of fun!!

Last edited by john h; Feb 4th, 2011 at 16:01.
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 16:01   #88
ALLOA
Master Member

Talking

I cannot speak highly enough about KJET. I've had no real bother with it on any of the cars that I have had. My Dad's 940 was an on going battle for long enough before we managed to keep the lambda light out.!
When I had my Torslanda I acquired a GLT estate donor car. It was after I had transplanted the new KJET engine into the Tors that I realised that I would also have to swap over the complete loom and axle!!!!! I probably should have researched the project better but I reckoned it was a good price for getting KJET into the car. The EFI is of course OK but if you plan to keep the car a long time there will always be niggles with chaffing crancase sensors, sooty lambda probes and dodgy air flow meters.

A mug of tea also sits well on a KJET during servicing. Cant say the same for EFI. lol

Cheers

Scott
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ALLOA For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 16:29   #89
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOA View Post
A mug of tea also sits well on a KJET during servicing. Cant say the same for EFI. lol
Coffee - but I know what you're saying
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 18:24   #90
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOA View Post

Cheers

Scott
Probably a glass of red wine in Paul240480's case

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike_Brace For This Useful Post: