Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC90 at last! :)

Views : 14954

Replies : 122

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2014, 18:42   #81
RedMoose
Volvo Greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
My dealer sent me the spec and price list.
Although the base model has some very fine features, the ones you'd really like to have and which are touted as the most appealing, are pricy add-ons.

I haven't poured over it in detail yet, but I suspect for a spec comparable to my Exec it will be in the mid £50K range, an additional £10K over my current model.

I wonder if DtD will pick it up sometime next year?
Yup - I've just specced a D4 R-design as close to my current car as I can and it is £10,900 more than the list of my current Moose. GULP!

and Polestar has given similar performance to the D4 (I think) for a lot less than that.

Last edited by RedMoose; Oct 23rd, 2014 at 18:46.
RedMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2014, 18:44   #82
RedMoose
Volvo Greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Hall View Post
I just will keep telling her we will get it, she will eventually give in !
My wife says my most annoying habit is that I have to have the penultimate word...
RedMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 16:01   #83
yeoman
Master Member

Has anyone used the online configurator for the new XC90.I find it a bit confusing!

I can see Volvo offering large discounts within 18 months,as both BMW and Audi(whom this new expensive behemoth is aimed squarely at), are launching their hybrid versions soon.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 16:23   #84
st4
I've Been Banned

Default Engine Strategy

Its a dangerous came. I know the latest 4pot engines that Volvo have made are very quiet and economical, but a car like this really needs 6 clyinder engines, or a 5 at the smallest.

4 clyinder diesel engines give off a harsh engine note, and all the forced induction and hybridisation won't change that.

They said the engine is modular, so stick another 1 or 2 clyinders onto it and give us real engines at the this price.
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 18:22   #85
TWPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundIJones View Post
Apparently you'd need to sell a lot more than a kidney, your comment got me curious, this is the going price according to The Guardian:

"The going rate for a kidney transplant from eastern Europe, according to a study earlier this year by the Council of Europe, is USD$100-200,000 (£58,000 - £116,000), of which donors, typically young, male Moldovans or Romanians "between 18 and 28 years of age living in poor conditions in rural parts of the country", can expect to see $2,500 (£1,400). That is the top end of the market, however. A survey by the American Medical Association in 2002 found that 305 kidney donors in Chennai, India, were given only $1,070 (£620) each - 96% said they were forced into the donation through poverty. There are reports of young Indians selling kidneys for as little as £100."

If you want to pay for an £80K XC90 T8 using body parts I think you may be out of luck.
I think the answer here is that you want to be the body part broker, not the donor. If the selling price is at least £58K and the cost only £1.4K that's a heck of a margin for the middle man.

If I arranged the sale of a couple of kidneys I think I'd have a T8 rather than the 'sensible' D4 that I sometimes dream about. I'd even splash out on Inscription spec, the winter pack and some Nappa leather. Think I'd stick to boring old Magic Blue paint though...

Then I'd just go wild with the change and fit a new boiler at home and order a new pair of slippers. Don't want to upset the Volvo stereotype.
TWPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 21:30   #86
EdmundIJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWPC View Post
Then I'd just go wild with the change and fit a new boiler at home and order a new pair of slippers. Don't want to upset the Volvo stereotype.

AAAaaarrrggg, I've just been debating with the wife if we should have a new boiler, have pressurised hot water or shower pumps... I've also recently purchased some new slippers from M&S!

That's no lie!

Last edited by EdmundIJones; Nov 4th, 2014 at 21:35.
EdmundIJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 00:33   #87
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundIJones View Post
AAAaaarrrggg, I've just been debating with the wife if we should have a new boiler, have pressurised hot water or shower pumps... I've also recently purchased some new slippers from M&S!

That's no lie!

Your in luck EdmundIJones, they do a biege one, well Volvo call it "Luminous Sand", but realistically its just another name for Biege ......
TruckbusUK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 10:27   #88
EdmundIJones

The lords sends these things to tempt us I'm sure...
EdmundIJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 12:57   #89
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4 View Post
Its a dangerous came. I know the latest 4pot engines that Volvo have made are very quiet and economical, but a car like this really needs 6 clyinder engines, or a 5 at the smallest.

4 clyinder diesel engines give off a harsh engine note, and all the forced induction and hybridisation won't change that.

They said the engine is modular, so stick another 1 or 2 clyinders onto it and give us real engines at the this price.
Needs or you believe it "needs" a 5/6 cylinder engine? Following that logic would mean something like the BMW i8 should not exist and that has a measly 3 cylinders @ £100K! (ignoring the carbon fibre body and weight saving etc. for the moment).

Very few people these days actually care about displacement or cylinder count, just what power it has V emissions costs.

A few instances of this are quite obvious:

Hot hatch sector pretty all much 2.0 litre 4 cylinder turbo with 300bhp
Porsche are currently testing the 911 with a flat 4, not 6
BMW i8
I suppose I should say the Ford ecoboost engines (1.0 litre 3 cylinder pulling a focus along).
I suppose I should add the VEA engine here which runs on 0W-20!

It goes on and on...and get used to it as this is the way things are going the T8 is a huge leap in power for one of the smallest output in emissions going.

Modular under the VEA arrangement is in relation to the forced induction format being used and the general block design which is almost identical between petrol and diesel.

You should be proud somewhat that Volvo are among the first to:
1) Produce a modular design engine that eventually will span the range
2) Look at hybrids and electrification in a more mainstream manufacturer fashion (Mclaren P1, LaFerrari and 918).
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 14:18   #90
Considered1
Premier Member

Default T8 AWD plug in Hybrid

400 hp
0-60mph 6.4 secs
Torque 640Nm
combined mpg 104.6
(just not whilst doing the above)

its the future!

People complained about the noise the new F1 cars make, I'd love to make that noise..
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote