Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Idiots' guide to replacing the fuel flap hinge

Views : 64892

Replies : 128

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2012, 23:30   #81
chiptivo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamouth View Post
The flap fell off my V70 today. There it was on the drive with the flap hanging on the cap retainer, haven't filled up for a week. Thank you for all the information. What I would like to know is - if you replace the pins with stainless screws is there room for pan head screws? I have had problems previously with countersunk screws splitting the plastic that they're holding. I can't quiet work out if there will be enough clearance for pan heads as the broken parts from the hinge where lost along the road somewhere.

Very odd to have this just happen on the drive..

Are you sure someone did not try and pinch your diesel / petrol??
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 23:41   #82
Mamouth
V70 2.4

No it's unlikely, the car's normally garaged and it happened around lunchtime. I probably didn't notice when I got out of the car an hour earlier. If it had happened on the drive I would have found the broken bits of plastic.
Mamouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 16:56   #83
Mamouth
V70 2.4

I replaced the hinge today. It only took about 20 minutes using OllieG's instructions, it went quiet easily. The only thing I will say is that it is surprising how much force you have to use to both remove the old pins and replace the new ones, I ended up using a 12oz hammer. I got the new pins started using PeeDeeTee's method of pushing them in with a security torx driver and then hammered the last bit in using a drift. I had considered using stainless screws and answering my own question, yes I think there is enough room for pan head screws, but the plastic pins worked fine and I think they are probably a better job. The genuine Volvo hinge cost me £8.39 online including postage.
Mamouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 12:03   #84
Zosherooney

Our new (2nd hand) metal flap arrived today and we spent 20 mins taking out the old plakky bit and fitting the new plakky with 4 pins. Furtherest 2 apart went in fine but the two middle ones broke off (one by hand!) Ended up finding two very small screws that just fitted tight. Many thanks for the help found here (would have struggled without it). Must have been designed by a man, if I had designed it, it would not have broken in the first place !!!!!!
Zosherooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 11:54   #85
ted striker

Thanks very much for instuctions, like the chap above, the two outers went on fine, the middle two snapped thus requiring the small srcrew fix.
ted striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 15:25   #86
ASt85
Premier Member

There are several posts in this string about using small self tappers instead of the thin plastic rods - I assume plastic rods are cheaper than threaded steel............if you are a manufacturer and need to use a machine jig to put in 4 locking tabs!!!

HOWEVER as you comment "it makes you wonder" who did actually design a fool flap (spelling mistake intentional) with the ability to break easily and require replacing with an only OEM available part every couple of years.....

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 11:12   #87
newby

I am now on my 3rd hinge in 12 months and the last one broke this morning. This hinge is very badly designed. The hinge always fails at the same place. The two small plastic clips that retain the spring snap off. Does anyone know of a more robust replacement?
newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 13:45   #88
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Repair

I'm sure that I've seen a posting about using a pair of small self tappers to hold the spring in the same place that the plastic lugs would normally secure the spring. I can't see why this wouldn't work, and, as a repair would probably last a lot longer than these joke hinges!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 12:24   #89
A lex
Premier Member

Ive just done mine this morning - I tried the self-tapper fix 1st, but it wasnt working (the spring just jumped out of the mounting points).

So, €9 later and a new hinge is on.

Very easy to do - as mentioned the only really fiddly/annoying bit is getting the two centre pins in when replacing the new hinge - crappy design and prone to going wrong!

I've no idea if its already been mentioned, but there is also an updated part number for the hinge:

Last edited by A lex; Jul 28th, 2012 at 12:30.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 01:02   #90
Wayne W

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieG View Post
The photos got lost on a server that's died, here's the original post again with the photos re-linked.
Thanks, OllieG. When the plastic bits that hold the flap to the hinge bracket broke off today, I expected to need to get at things from inside my V70, under the liner, in order to replace the bracket. Then I found that I couldn't figure out how to get the liner apart without damage. I was preparing myself for an expensive trip to the dealer when I found your very helpful posting. Buying the part and doing the job myself is much more appealing. Thanks for the pictures! And thanks to rigormo2 for your insights.
Wayne W is offline   Reply With Quote