Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 152955

Replies : 938

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2023, 12:16   #851
CosmicBike

Nothing more exciting than an annual service, with only 2,700 miles since the last one largely due to being off road whilst the oil leak was fixed and new radiator fitted.
Also another gearbox oil drop and fill. I think that's 4 now, and the shifts are notably better than when I bought the car with the drained fluid gaining a hint of red, so nearly there.
2007 Ford Galaxy (dog lugger)
Previous XC90 x 2, V70 x 2
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 21:09   #852
towawayken

Default Dent.

Had the dent guy in today .
Several had looked at photos of the damage and said no it's a bodyshop job.
Then I found a guy called Matt who runs Kent Dent Repairs.
These are before and after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230125_123141.jpg (60.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230413125821.jpg (378.2 KB, 34 views)
towawayken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to towawayken For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2023, 13:49   #853
ITSv40
VOC Member

That does look good, you must be well pleased with that.

Several years ago my son had a Ford Fiesta. Went down to Newquay for a surfing holiday and his car roof got attacked by seagulls. The roof panel had several large dents in it and the rail along the side of the roof, above the doors was also attacked. Our local smart repairers removed all the dents and even on the double curvature of the rail it was impossible to see where it had been damaged. Truly remarkable.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 07:05   #854
Rich850R
Master Member

850 has had some much needed TLC, also the adjustable Camber delta link ends have been fitted, my word what a difference they have made to the cornering stability, high speed stability etc. Rears are already running 15mm wider to clear the Porsche calipers, even with the new delta link ends there is still loads of room, and im running pretty low all round.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 850 CAMBER.jpg (289.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg shell 1.jpg (312.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 8503.jpg (390.0 KB, 22 views)
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich850R For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 15:04   #855
Luxobarge
Premier Member

The exhaust note on my V70 has always sounded a bit "gruff" on tickover, I think this is fairly normal on these. However, recently it's been sounding a good bit rougher than usual, and also I noticed that the tailpipe will move from side to side much more easily than it should, so I jacked it up today to investigate.

I was expecting to see one or more hanger rubbers broken, but they were all present and correct, and all the removable joints in the system appeared to be in good order. However, I found a large crack running most of the way around the pipe just as it exits the main large silencer box in the centre of the car, with tell-tale black stains around it. In some places the gap between the two edges was quite large, one place the size of a 1p coin. So, do I take the whole lot off or do I try and weld it in situ? On further consideration, actually access wasn't too bad, and there are no dangerous or meltable things near it, so I had a go at doing it in situ.

A horrible stressful job, even with the car on ramps there's not a lot of room under there, and I spent a lot of time arranging various lamps to give myself enough light to see what I'm doing with a welding mask on. But got there in the end. Welding the large hole up was a bit tricky to say the least, just building up the edges a bit at a time to fill it with weld, you need to take your time doing this unless you want to chase the hole for miles!. It's not pretty welding (doing welds upside down is rarely neat) but it's strong and gas-tight, and on a hard working car like mine who cares about the neatness of the welding? Job done.

MoT is coming up in a couple of weeks, and normally this car is fine, but this year I had a premonition that something was going to go awry, and so it has proved. Still, I caught it a) before the MoT and b) before it cracked all the way around and fell off.

When a job like that is completed, it's a lovely feeling to crawl out from underneath and pack all the kit away, I hate working underneath cars!

It did cross my mind whether to replace the whole system cat-back with a new aftermarket one, but quicker and cheaper to repair this one in the end, the old original stainless system can soldier on for a few more years...

Cheers all

Last edited by Luxobarge; Apr 19th, 2023 at 15:08.
Luxobarge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luxobarge For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 17:02   #856
Gotp

Default Rear bumper to stock

My car has everything xc from door trim to bumpers, so i finally found a decent right color rear bumper and installed it. Sags a little as the bumper brackets were rusty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapchat-1014366048.jpg (238.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-517146069.jpg (187.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-1421427449.jpg (187.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230422_183140.jpg (381.4 KB, 23 views)
Gotp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gotp For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 18:59   #857
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Wrong Section:~

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Apr 22nd, 2023 at 19:02.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2023, 13:57   #858
Derek UK
VOC Member

Default Loss of offside front indicator unit

More like what my car did to me. Stealing a new term from Space X I suffered an RUD, Rapid Unplanned Disassembly, of my offside indicator unit on Monday night. Dark wet motorway with V70 glow worm headlights gently shining, when I heard a clatter under the car. Guessed I'd driven over something. Later heard some small noises from the front OS corner a couple of times. Couple of miles to home and checked when I got there. Still raining. Found the indicator light unit hanging by the bulb harness. No outer lens so I guess that is what I heard under the car or in the rear wheel arch. Light unit had obviously been blowing around as it has scratched up the clear around the area. Should mostly buff out as they say. It's not a show car. Not sure if the whole unit came out and then split apart or the lens came off first and the wind then popped the backing piece out. Indicator bulb is still working. Replacement should arrive tomorrow.
Anyone had this happen? Worth checking that your lights are secure.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2023, 18:53   #859
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
................ Rapid Unplanned Disassembly, of my offside indicator unit on Monday night. .................... Light unit had obviously been blowing around as it has scratched up the clear around the area. ........... Not sure if the whole unit came out and then split apart or the lens came off first and the wind then popped the backing piece out.............

Anyone had this happen? Worth checking that your lights are secure.
From experience the sidelight plastic 'side clip' alongside the headlight frame can get weak or fracture resulting in a partly loose cluster.

Currently, the n/s unit on my '98 V70 can get a 'bit floppy' as the clip is not in the best of health. It is held in with some Blue-Tac by way of extra help but, it does tend to work loose over time! I have replacements ready for both sides should the n/s cluster decide to fall off. Both sides really need replacing after 25 years.

On my 'other' car, a 745, is is not unknown for the lens of the 700/900 Series to separate from the sidelight unit due to age deterioration of the sealant. It happened to me some years ago I know not where!

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2023, 19:58   #860
Derek UK
VOC Member

Thanks Bob. It does look as if about half of one of the front clips is broken off. Could have been the cause or happened when being banged around. Whole new light will fix that and they are only about £20 off the Bay.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote