Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo XC 60 Review

Views : 15365

Replies : 130

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2011, 11:47   #71
Mrjon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Mrjon

Notice from a previous thread you had problems with your Sensus, bet you werent high on emotion!!

Did you get it fixed??

Regards
Yes, I had a software update put on and it seems to have done the trick. I think your newer car will already have the latest update so it shouldn't cause you any problems.

I think you maybe have a case of new car blues, which I normally suffer from for a couple of weeks. When I got the XC60 I remember feeling very underwhelmed and wanted to switch straight back to a saloon as the XC felt just too big and heavy for my "pro active" driving style. Before that when I switched to the S60 D5 from a Jaguar X-type I remember thinking the car was a bit low tech and went out to test drive a Lexus IS within the first couple of weeks.

I have to say I absolutely love the XC60 now ,4 months after purchase. It's so effortless and relaxing to cruise in, and now I'm used to its size , with the 4C chassis and 225bhp polestar upgrade I really enjoy throwing it around twistie roads.

I had the premium audio in the S60 and must say the XC's premium sound is much much better,though I don't think I'd bother with the sub again.

Sit on your hands for a couple of months and get used to the car and you'll soon realise just how nice it really is.

regards

Jon
Mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrjon For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 14:31   #72
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-designbob View Post
Good job Vercingetorix didn't get his own way then huh.
Suppose so otherwise we would have holes in the floors for loos and ladies and gentlemen chatting whilst going..lol
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 14:58   #73
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjon View Post
Yes, I had a software update put on and it seems to have done the trick. I think your newer car will already have the latest update so it shouldn't cause you any problems.

I think you maybe have a case of new car blues, which I normally suffer from for a couple of weeks. When I got the XC60 I remember feeling very underwhelmed and wanted to switch straight back to a saloon as the XC felt just too big and heavy for my "pro active" driving style. Before that when I switched to the S60 D5 from a Jaguar X-type I remember thinking the car was a bit low tech and went out to test drive a Lexus IS within the first couple of weeks.

I have to say I absolutely love the XC60 now ,4 months after purchase. It's so effortless and relaxing to cruise in, and now I'm used to its size , with the 4C chassis and 225bhp polestar upgrade I really enjoy throwing it around twistie roads.

I had the premium audio in the S60 and must say the XC's premium sound is much much better,though I don't think I'd bother with the sub again.

Sit on your hands for a couple of months and get used to the car and you'll soon realise just how nice it really is.

regards

Jon
Hello

Yes I do agree , its a matter of getting used to things.As one or two rightly point out more thinking should have been done before the buying process I suppose.Although certain things I feel can be improved,for example the window locking via the door,as with that one just has to adapt now. The purpose of the original post was simply to point things out about the car that I possibly hadnt properly thought through , so others could check to see if the car was ok for them if buying and obtain others opinions and solutions.Id be pretty good I suppose on that TV series "The Grumpy Guide To......" lol
Typical old codger.lol

I am actually used to very large cars although find XC a bit difficult to place.
If you overtake someone on the motorway as you are overtaking they sort of disappear into a blind spot , and even worse if someone is undertaking they are hard to see!

One good thing about the lack of storage is that one doesnt cart all the junk about any more!

With the handling that is probably me as Ive got older I feel less capable at Clarkson esque driving styles. Probably the same if going off road, I always felt a Rangie was going to tip over on the slightest rough gradient!

All the best
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 15:01   #74
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Have to say that the ongoing verbal pugilism has made this a very popular and sometime entertaining thread
Pugilism

Love of Peugeots?

Pros
Great ride comfort

Cons
Everything else!
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 15:47   #75
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Pugilism

Love of Peugeots?

Pros
Great ride comfort

Cons
Everything else!
Nope, from the Latin word 'pugil' referring to the skill, practice, and sport of fighting with the fists or boxing

http://wordinfo.info/unit/1791/ip:16/il:P
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 16:33   #76
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Nope, from the Latin word 'pugil' referring to the skill, practice, and sport of fighting with the fists or boxing

http://wordinfo.info/unit/1791/ip:16/il:P
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh now I didnt know that LOL LOL LOL
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 20:04   #77
DesertDog

From the XC60 to the Roman Empire in 5 pages?

I'll settle for the Heico ECU or failing that, Polestar, if the tossers ever bring it here....

His: MY2008 Shelby Cobra GT500 coupe - Torch Red
DesertDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 22:12   #78
Philpottig
Better than an X3 or Q5

Talking

And the award for most diverse, entertaining cultural and educational Volvo thread of 2011 goes too....the Peoples Front of Judea (splitters)
Philpottig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 23:57   #79
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpottig View Post
And the award for most diverse, entertaining cultural and educational Volvo thread of 2011 goes too....the Peoples Front of Judea (splitters)
f*ck off! judean people's front, we're the people's front of judea.... bah!

it's a thought provoking thread too. i've been remembering how frustrated i was at some of the differences between the xc60 and my old rx8. one big difference was the seating position. in an rx8, because the seating position is so low, all the controls are pretty much at eye level. it took me ages to adjust to having them at a lower level. also, getting used to how to turn the car off was really difficult to get into a rhythm. managed it though, just took a bit of time to become habitual.
82 Metro 1.0

Last edited by darbs; Jul 30th, 2011 at 00:10.
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 12:18   #80
volvorocks
Rodney

Back to XC and another short post from the fussy author of freakish physical proportions with nothing better to do! Its lunchtime and am having

The snippets below are what a varied amount of people such as motoring mags and the like have to say about XC 60. Based on the most powerful D5 XC60.

“although the Volvo XC60 is smaller than the Volvo XC90 it still feels very large”

“although it looks substantial, it's actually fairly compact - shorter than Mondeo for instance, so parking and manouevering in tight spaces isn't as tricky as you may think”

“unfortunately the ride is more of a mixed bag, dealing supremely well with potholes, which the XC60 cushions like a big SUV should, but somehow sending an endless stream of smaller bumps into the cabin. This means you’ll spend much of any given journey bouncing up and down in your seat, which you just know is the sort of thing that will make children feel sick”

“Rides well, even though it struggles with potholes and there is undoubtedly a bit of wind noise”

“even the ride quality is disappointing, picking up all sorts of minor bumps”

“the ride is supremely comfortable ironing out all imperfections in the road”

“the suspension does a great job in absorbing potholes and bumps in the road surface, even at higher speeds, which makes for a refined ride”

“body roll through corners was barely present”

“up front there's plenty of storage thanks to a good-sized glovebox and central cubby, plus there's stowage behind the central console. The door pockets aren't especially large though”

“storage options are limited”

“the XC60 patently hasn’t been conceived to be fast, so don’t expect fireworks”

“the engine has as much power as anyone really needs which makes overtaking a cinch”

“two five-cylinder diesel models are available – the front-wheel drive D3 and the four-wheel drive D5. Both provide decent pace, but they’re not as flexible as some rivals”

“Volvo knows how to build a classy interior with everything having a superb, craftsman’s feel. The cabin is airy and the dials well arranged. The heater buttons in the shape of a sitting person are a neat and intuitive touch while the sweep of the instrument pod is inspired by Sean Connery’s raised eyebrow during his days as James Bond. And that’s not a joke”

“we found parking to be particularly easy for a 4×4“.

“the XC60 has been subject to a large number of recalls since its launch, for issues including gearbox, engine and airbag faults. While a new car should have these issues resolved already, it’s important to check work has been carried out before buying a nearly new XC60”

(this is what I mean about “could do better” regards the tech stuff)
'Active Bending Headlights' of SE Lux require 10 steps to switch from left dip to right dip, but then revert to left dip whenever the engine is switched off, necessitating the 10 steps again every time you re-start when in mainland Europe. Volvo has no solution to this.

For you guys and gals with the DPF issue
“related to rising sump oil levels in D5 Diesel engines with a DPF which is caused by excess fuel entering the engine sump via cylinders during DPF regeneration cycles. The solution is to reprogram the engine management software to reduce the volume of fuel used during the regeneration cycle and drain the excess oil back to midway between the min/max levels on the dip stick, then keep an eye on it. Really, any engine that has had its lube oil contaminated by diesel needs a lube oil change”

“leather is of high quality although you tend to slide around on the seats”

“the D5 diesel is frugal but frankly noisy. Volvo could really do with a more modern diesel than the five-cylinder unit than this one”

“the general quality of the interior is also well up to snuff. The windscreen wipers on our test vehicle made an interminable racket sounding like Donald Duck on helium”

“fit and finish is superb”

“our vehicle had numerous squeaks and rattles which give rise to doubts about Volvos claim that the XC60 is a premium product”

“fuel economy fell far short of the manufacturers claim returning just 26mpg”

“fuel economy in the high 30’s was good for such a heavy vehicle”

“Volvo Sensus is an excellent example of how Volvo Cars refines the driver environment. All information is presented on a five-inch or seven-inch colour screen in the upper part of the centre stack. The screen is positioned high up to make it easy for the driver to keep his or hers eyes on the road. All the functions can be controlled via buttons built into the steering wheel or via touch buttons located just below the colour screen”

“if you can figure out the bizarre interface for the electronics in the Volvo XC60, it can be a pretty satisfying car to drive”

“ I know what dual zone climate control is designed for, but it doesnt work in my experience and I reckon its pointless in an area thats only 5 foot wide-the passenger is only a few inches from you, and you cant make the air stay one side of an invisible line”

“dual zone AC is designed as such because very often men and women share a car and plenty of research has shown that they generally prefer different temperatures, but it does work in the real world”

“the Geartronic Auto 'box is a good fit too, which although sometimes too keen to hold onto a gear higher in the revs (where engine noise encroaches a little too much), swaps cogs quickly and is willing to drop a couple with alacrity when needed”

“antiquated geartronic equipped cars cannot decide which gear they want to be in and are slow to react. The manual 6speed is a better option!

As you will read lots of different people say different things about the same car!

Confused? I am..!!

Last edited by volvorocks; Jul 30th, 2011 at 12:24. Reason: added bit at bottom in red