Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S W Autos & The Mouthy Blonde

Views : 9255

Replies : 85

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 21:00   #71
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shestica
Matt i am not trying to start a war here, i was merely asking some info from Stuart and for your sake making sure you knew that VT only gave WHP.

I don't think i am in any position to speak for VT and Rica's claims and will not.
fair point justin, i knew that vt dyno's gave whp, but as you said they never give crank bhp i was just confused how they validated rica's ecu claims (crank) on there whp dyno. I just thought you may know thats all.

matt.
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 21:01   #72
swautos

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Stuart.

If if the ECU has no way of measuring manifold pressure how does it detect an overboost then ?

Hi Justin

Quite frankly it doesnt as already stated it cannot measure pressure .I have bent conrods at 25psi on a standard ecu. Ifs theres no detonation then the cars just keeps boosting.

Stuart
swautos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 21:07   #73
adieu
Master Member

Default Ahhh

Quote:
I don't think i am in any position to speak for VT and Rica's claims and will not.

But you have in the past....

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=11494

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...?t=8126&page=2

Regards

Iain
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 21:13   #74
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDMeanor
I’m a fairly new member & have been looking around VOC and found a few articles that I feel cast aspersions on my car & S W Autos who carried out work on her.

Thank you for showing yourselves.....

I rest my case
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 21:15   #75
Shestica

Quote:
Originally Posted by swautos
Hi Justin

Quite frankly it doesnt as already stated it cannot measure pressure .I have bent conrods at 25psi on a standard ecu. Ifs theres no detonation then the cars just keeps boosting.

Stuart
Thanks Stuart
Shestica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 21:20   #76
Shestica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDMeanor
Thank you for showing yourselves.....

I rest my case
Julie, I'm not here to slate anyone or thier car, Stuart has made modifications to your car (the car being discussed) that has intruiged many people, i for one.

I have merely asked him some questions that he has gratefully answered.

So, thanks again Stuart, i was merely interested
Shestica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:50   #77
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi Justin

Stuart
Hi Stuart.
So from what you have just said, I am guessing that what you have done to Julies car could not be done on an newer ME7 car then?
Do ME7 cars measure manifold pressure directly or is it calculated from the ambient temp, exhaust temp and the air flow like on a T4?

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:40   #78
sholtby
Premier Member

Motronic 4.3 cars like MissD's dont have a MAP (pressure) sensor however the ecu can effectively work out the pressure as it knows how much air is going into the engine from the MAF sensor and how how fast the engine is reving from the crank sensor and the air density by measuring its temperature. Using all this data it cuts the engine at about 15psi with a standard ecu as it thinks the turbo is overboosting.
I was just interested to know how without rechiping a car you can avoid this overboost cutout and still retain correct safe running of the engine at high boost levels.

Simon
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 20:35   #79
swautos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F
Hi Stuart.
So from what you have just said, I am guessing that what you have done to Julies car could not be done on an newer ME7 car then?
Do ME7 cars measure manifold pressure directly or is it calculated from the ambient temp, exhaust temp and the air flow like on a T4?

Cheers,
Dan.

Hi dan

The same gains can be had but the tuning involves different items and or parts.
As to the question do me7 cars measure manifold pressure no, They do however measure intake pressure from the map sensor on the inlet pipe which is used to control boost.
To some people these could both be seen as the same but there can be variations due to idle control system throttle butterfly and throttle position hence all boost gauges are attached manifold side only.
I am also intrigued by the t4 which uses egt sorry exhaust gas temperature to calculate air fuel ratio is this a new phenomenon.

Stuart
swautos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:20   #80
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi dan

The same gains can be had but the tuning involves different items and or parts.
As to the question do me7 cars measure manifold pressure no, They do however measure intake pressure from the map sensor on the inlet pipe which is used to control boost.
To some people these could both be seen as the same but there can be variations due to idle control system throttle butterfly and throttle position hence all boost gauges are attached manifold side only.
I am also intrigued by the t4 which uses egt sorry exhaust gas temperature to calculate air fuel ratio is this a new phenomenon.

Stuart
Hi Stuart.
I know for a fact that the EMS2000 ECU doesn't measure boost in any way, it calculates what it ought to be from various other factors such as air flow, inlet temp and throttle opening etc.
I was told, (by a knowledgeable person from Sweden a long while ago) that EGT is indeed a factor in this calculation.
That is why if you can can 'fool' the various sensors on a T4 you can increase power with no ECU mods. I had it done to mine.
Later,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote