Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Flat Battery

Views : 15640

Replies : 173

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2017, 07:46   #71
Konst

I never have low battery warnings.
But the XC90 is always on charge at home with a CTEK charger like I always made with all my previous car with auxiliary heater.
Back at home after short trips with pre-heating the CTEK shows half charged battery. This let me assume the alternator can't fully charge the two batteries in those conditions. Even with two brand new AGM batteries, there is no way to avoid a home charger for me, at least during winter.
MY17 XC90 D5 Inscription 7 seats, Electric silver/charcoal, 21"wheels,Walnut,leather dash,Luxury pack ventilated+massage, 4 zone clim pack,Xenium Pack, VOC+modem, sunroof, Winter pro Pack Auxiliary Fuel Heater+HUD,Business+ pack with B&W +DAB
Konst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 09:43   #72
Lexman8
Premier Member

Default Battery specs

Main battery: H7 AGM
Voltage: 12V
Cold start capacity: 800A
Size: L×W×H (mm) 315×175×190
Capacity: 80Ah

Support battery: AGM
Voltage: 12V
Cold start capacity: 170A
Size , L×W×H (mm) 150×90×130
Capacity: 10Ah

An 80Ah main battery doesn't seem particularly large given all the systems in an XC90 (particularly the electric heaters) but it would depend upon the alternator's output and its capacity to feed all these especially if the car is only travelling slowly. I don't know the output of the XC90 alternator but for comparison my Merc (with a lower electrical load) had a 110Ah battery and a 150A alternator.
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 09:50   #73
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Thats why they have this in their options list, disgraceful. Why do they not make a car fit for purpose. Dealers must be getting worried about future sales now as people lose faith in Volvo.

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...6/D5/Automatic[/QUOTE]
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 10:12   #74
Lexman8
Premier Member

Curiously, it's not available in the UK anyway.
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 10:25   #75
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
Sorry but, No,No. The ONLY way the voltage could be checked accurately would be direct from the battery terminals with an accurate meter. Flea Bay type gauges are simply too inaccurate, Measuring voltage from any point other than battery would not work Nor would measuring voltage from the under bonnet terminal.(V90,not sure if the XC has the same set up) In both instances volt drop in the cables or connections would distort the reading. As an indication a 12 volt lead acid battery fully charged (100%) would read 12.73v whilst one at 70%, voltage would be 12.37v

Just to complicate matters further AGM battery values are slightly different on many sites. However, it's a mute point as to what is or is not a true AGM battery. It's not just down to the use of glass matting to hold the electrolyte.
I wrote you can check the possible difference between the gauge and the battery so you can learn how inaccurate it is.
It won't show a major larger area if the voltage is not much different than the one when the comparison was done.
A digital meter isn't more accurate than an analog one by definition, you just can't make a parallax error reading a figure on a screen.
To have an accurate reading from a digital meter, do you then propose people will by a Fluke of some kind?
I don't think they will, given the cost. Perhaps it is even more important to follow the trend of the voltage than to have an accurate
figure, it is easy to see if the charging system can cope by monitoring if the voltage goes up or down.
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 10:27   #76
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
I think it would be difficult to see the plug in meter from the drivers seat given the position of the socket in the XC90.
There are angled models:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-JEB.../dp/B01826Q3TU

Last edited by gaby; Jan 15th, 2017 at 10:31.
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 10:35   #77
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Probably plug it in and end up with a flat battery the way things are going, dont think the xc90 can cope with such a big m/amp drain on its sytem, it cant cope with a phone charger. Lol.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 14:16   #78
neon
Premier Member

Again yesterday my auxiliary heater stopped after straight after starting with the message to save battery power. Not sure what the use is of my expensive option when on cold mornings it will not work. More discussions with the dealer.
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 19:08   #79
Razer

Over on swedespeed they are saying volvo have admitted that the low battery issue is a known problem and its a software issue introduced in the november update, so if youve had that update then you are likely to have the problem. Of course if you drive a good few miles a day, every day then you wont see it pop up.

It also indicates a software update was issued for it a few days ago in the US at least:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-message/page2
MY05 - S60 D5 SE (2006-2009)
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 20:28   #80
AB-UK
Premier Member

You'd think the DoT and VOSA might be interested - or at the very least Trading Standards (re sale of goods not fit for purpose - I am assuming the XC90 isn't sold with the advisory that it is suitable for long journeys only?)
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote