Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Petrol pours out the filler mechanism when full!

Views : 7885

Replies : 90

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2024, 07:03   #71
P100HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
What car have you got @P100HP.
I've got a 2022 '22' plate V60 T6 Re-Charge (18.8kwh).

Must be a common fault as they had the part in stock at the dealership.
P100HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 08:18   #72
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P100HP View Post
I've got a 2022 '22' plate V60 T6 Re-Charge (18.8kwh).

Must be a common fault as they had the part in stock at the dealership.
I has been a common fault and for a long while, the replacement part (which has been upgraded) has been on back order so quite a few people had to wait weeks and sometime months before the part arrived in stock so be thankful your dealership had one available.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 08:42   #73
AB-UK
Premier Member

Maybe the fuel nozzle is shorter in some filling stations.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 23:20   #74
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
I has been a common fault and for a long while, the replacement part (which has been upgraded) has been on back order so quite a few people had to wait weeks and sometime months before the part arrived in stock so be thankful your dealership had one available.
Do you know what the root cause of the failure is on the old HV heater @sk546? Obviously mine is petrol fed, just curious!

I wonder if all the T8 PHEVs have fuel fired heaters then and all others have the HV heater, Sensus based or AAOS, although can you even get a T8 PHEV with AAOS anymore or did they stop at T6? I know the later revisions of the T8 stopped being equipped with the superchargers.

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar

Last edited by Yelper85; Jan 25th, 2024 at 23:24.
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2024, 06:01   #75
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
Do you know what the root cause of the failure is on the old HV heater @sk546? Obviously mine is petrol fed, just curious!

I wonder if all the T8 PHEVs have fuel fired heaters then and all others have the HV heater, Sensus based or AAOS, although can you even get a T8 PHEV with AAOS anymore or did they stop at T6? I know the later revisions of the T8 stopped being equipped with the superchargers.
All T8's had fuel fired heaters up until sometime around MY21late/MY22 early when Volvo switched to the High Voltage heating system for all T8's. As such, some of the last XC60 Sensus T8's made before AAOS was introduced had the HV heaters and alot of these early cars had the majority of the failures.
Failures were caused by the HV heater not being correctly suited for the task it was doing from what I hear and Volvo put a software update out to reduce its output a little in an attempt to prolong the units life. My car (MY22.5 or MY22 late) is still on its original HV heater so they had either switched to the new manufacturer heater unit when they manufactured mine or the software update has kept it alive.

T8's are still available to purchase new alongside the T6's, most model lines appear to have the T6 drivetrain in the Plus models and T8 driveline in the Ultimate models. T8 had a combined output of 455bhp with 145bhp from the ERAD (up from 87bhp ERAD in your year T8) with the supercharger ditched to improve efficiency. The 90 hp starter generator in the ICE gearbox provided the Torque fill lost by removing the supercharger.

Old Jan 26th, 2024, 08:48   #76
Yelper85

Quote:
All T8's had fuel fired heaters up until sometime around MY21late/MY22 early when Volvo switched to the High Voltage heating system for all T8's. As such, some of the last XC60 Sensus T8's made before AAOS was introduced had the HV heaters and alot of these early cars had the majority of the failures.
Failures were caused by the HV heater not being correctly suited for the task it was doing from what I hear and Volvo put a software update out to reduce its output a little in an attempt to prolong the units life. My car (MY22.5 or MY22 late) is still on its original HV heater so they had either switched to the new manufacturer heater unit when they manufactured mine or the software update has kept it alive.

T8's are still available to purchase new alongside the T6's, most model lines appear to have the T6 drivetrain in the Plus models and T8 driveline in the Ultimate models. T8 had a combined output of 455bhp with 145bhp from the ERAD (up from 87bhp ERAD in your year T8) with the supercharger ditched to improve efficiency. The 90 hp starter generator in the ICE gearbox provided the Torque fill lost by removing the supercharger.
That's good info, cheers @sk546 👍🏻

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 11:49   #77
piorunz

Quote:

Can I have a related question please.
I have PHEV T8 from early 2021. I noticed, that electric heater, when driving around town on ERAD, heating output is barely noticeable, especially in cold weather. On the other hand, ICE heating output has no limits and can heat up the cabin to desired temperature quickly, obviously using engine heat.

What is your experience in that matter? Do I have "reduced output" electric heater in there, this is to be expected?
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 12:53   #78
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piorunz View Post
Can I have a related question please.
I have PHEV T8 from early 2021. I noticed, that electric heater, when driving around town on ERAD, heating output is barely noticeable, especially in cold weather. On the other hand, ICE heating output has no limits and can heat up the cabin to desired temperature quickly, obviously using engine heat.

What is your experience in that matter? Do I have "reduced output" electric heater in there, this is to be expected?
The output from you auxiliary heater (be it the fuel or high voltage powered) should be just as good as if the ICE is running.
When running in electric mode, my cabin heats up nice and quickly and maintains it temperature without issue.

Ensure that you have the auxiliary heater selected to 'on' within the climate control menu screens in Sensus otherwise it wont operate anyway.
If yours is the High Voltage heater unit (Volvo did start to bring them in sometime around your cars MY), I would suspect either your HV heater has failed or it is indeed switched off in the menu's.
Be aware that use of the HV heater has an effect on battery range, especially on the smaller hybrid battery size like yours and in cold conditions. If I dont pre-condition mine when plugged in, I will loose 2-3 miles from my range just getting heat in the car as the HV heater draws current from the Hybrid battery to warm things up.

Old Jan 27th, 2024, 18:17   #79
piorunz

Quote:
The output from you auxiliary heater (be it the fuel or high voltage powered) should be just as good as if the ICE is running.
When running in electric mode, my cabin heats up nice and quickly and maintains it temperature without issue.

Ensure that you have the auxiliary heater selected to 'on' within the climate control menu screens in Sensus otherwise it wont operate anyway.
If yours is the High Voltage heater unit (Volvo did start to bring them in sometime around your cars MY), I would suspect either your HV heater has failed or it is indeed switched off in the menu's.
Be aware that use of the HV heater has an effect on battery range, especially on the smaller hybrid battery size like yours and in cold conditions. If I dont pre-condition mine when plugged in, I will loose 2-3 miles from my range just getting heat in the car as the HV heater draws current from the Hybrid battery to warm things up.
Thank you! I just had a test drive around the town for 15 minutes on ERAD, and the temperature in the cabin did not change for good 10 minutes, or at least until I changed the desired temperature setting from 22 to 25 C and directed fan to front and increased fan speed. Only then I felt nice heat. So maybe, auxiliary electric heater is working or maybe not.

The setting in the menu for Additional heater was ON.

Now, I changed it to OFF and will have a drive tomorrow see if there is any difference. If it's colder it means that additional heater is working I just need to crank up temps to 25 C first thing. Is that your experience too, when preconditioning the car or getting in to cold car, how long does it take to heat up?

If the additional heater is not working at all, what's the second source of heat? There is another lower power heater is that right?

Last edited by piorunz; Jan 27th, 2024 at 18:20.
piorunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 18:33   #80
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piorunz View Post
Thank you! I just had a test drive around the town for 15 minutes on ERAD, and the temperature in the cabin did not change for good 10 minutes, or at least until I changed the desired temperature setting from 22 to 25 C and directed fan to front and increased fan speed. Only then I felt nice heat. So maybe, auxiliary electric heater is working or maybe not.

The setting in the menu for Additional heater was ON.

Now, I changed it to OFF and will have a drive tomorrow see if there is any difference. If it's colder it means that additional heater is working I just need to crank up temps to 25 C first thing. Is that your experience too, when preconditioning the car or getting in to cold car, how long does it take to heat up?

If the additional heater is not working at all, what's the second source of heat? There is another lower power heater is that right?
The second heat source for the car is the ICE so no other lower power heater to my knowledge. If the ICE is run at any stage then heat is present from the ICE running and that lasts a while until the coolant cools down if your HV heater is not working. With the heater selected to off, do a drive without getting the ICE to run to fully check the system correctly.

I generally leave my cabin temp set to 21 (or 22 if Im feeling really cold) and that always gets sufficient heat in for me to be nice and warm but I tend to leave the fan speed and vent choice in Auto mode so the Climate Control system changes it as its needed rather than playing with it myself, I just change the desired temp.
I will have good warmth coming through the vents into the cabin within a couple of mins of switching the car on (or activating preconditioning) with a fully warm cabin in 5-10 mins using just the HV Coolant Heater. Similar timings to having the ICE running.