Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MPG Figures

Views : 4699

Replies : 79

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2012, 10:32   #1
AdamIngs

Default MPG Figures

Morning all,

So the V40 is finally running well - after gearbox change, CV Boot replacement, Front Disc replacement, drop links replacement and ARB bushing replacement.

The only issue I have left is the claimed MPG on the Info Centre.

Granted, most of my driving is on London - although I'm rarely stuck in traffic jams for long periods of time.

But my info centre tells me I am achieving around 22.5mpg!

Isn't that just ridiculous? Or is it about right? I suppose the car is fairly heavy? Could it possibly point to another problem?

1.8 non GDi manual, 115,000 miles, 02 reg.

Anyone else with the same engine getting similar figures? How about the rest of you, diesel and turbo, 1.6 and 2.0 litre engines?
AdamIngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 10:34   #2
ThroughLou

That's same as my 1.9 t4 if I'm careful I can get it higher than that around town
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 10:44   #3
madmozza

I have S40 2.0, info centre says about 34mpg combined... Figured that wasn't too bad. Probably 60% town, 40% motorway/open A road
madmozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 10:57   #4
Recognized

I got 25-30 in 1998 v40 2.0 auto. Dont forget to reset info centre each time you fill up.
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 11:06   #5
AdamIngs

Thanks for replies!

Yes, I have been resetting each time I fill up (as to take the average from each tank), but so far 22.5 is around what it says each and every time (or at least it eventually settles to that figure, if you see what I mean?)

Is the info centre all that reliable in terms of mpg, if anyone has tried it out/tested it against a 'manual' measurement?

I guess that in some cases, a more powerful engine (t4 or the bigger 2.0 engine) might increase MPG as it pulls the car with greater ease...but I have heard if people with the 1.6 getting better results! I bloody love the car, but with MPG figures like that I can't help but to be wondering if it may be wiser to swap it for an old 1.0 litre vw polo (although I'd be losing all the space, passenger comfort, leather, great stereo, etc etc etc.)!
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 11:11   #6
AdamIngs

Mines not the GDi, Mark...

What I have learned (or at least think I've learned!) from this forum is that although the GDi can be troublesome, it also offers vastly improved MPG (over the Volvo 1.8)?

I mostly drive not sedately, but not like an absolute maniac either...I guess I should take it out of London on a motorway/a road run and see what i get...
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 11:14   #7
mcouchard
Master Member

It's quite low but it depends on how much time you spend in traffic and around town.

I have a 1.8 as well and get between 30-36mpg depending on driving environment. Since I have owned it I have an overall average of 33.3mpg. I typically spend 75% of time commuting though and 50% of that is motorway.

I have been a bit disappointed as I only get the claimed combined 36mpg if I have been on a long run for the whole tank, usually average 33mpg and on my last car (megane) I got the claimed combined all the time without even trying.
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 11:01   #8
markgsv40

I also have a GDI on an 03 plate. I do combined driving to work, 10 mins A roads and 20 mins Mway, on a 36mile round trip. when i drive i get about 38mpg.

When wor lass drive the same distance but across Leeds, it drops to about 30mpg. but i must add that for a little lass, she wears big lead boots.

My GDI is still not running right, so when i finally fix it these figures should improve.
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 12:00   #9
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIngs View Post
Morning all,

So the V40 is finally running well - after gearbox change, CV Boot replacement, Front Disc replacement, drop links replacement and ARB bushing replacement.

The only issue I have left is the claimed MPG on the Info Centre.

Granted, most of my driving is on London - although I'm rarely stuck in traffic jams for long periods of time.

But my info centre tells me I am achieving around 22.5mpg!

Isn't that just ridiculous? Or is it about right? I suppose the car is fairly heavy? Could it possibly point to another problem?

1.8 non GDi manual, 115,000 miles, 02 reg.

Anyone else with the same engine getting similar figures? How about the rest of you, diesel and turbo, 1.6 and 2.0 litre engines?
You may be better off just forgetting it until you get out of town on a good run without slowing down it may then rise to 38.......when you get home and back to work you will see it decrease instead of previously increasing and it may then give you a better more realistic figure........the figures are only guides where your foot has been for the last 5 minutes!

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote