Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC90 at last! :)

Views : 14955

Replies : 122

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2014, 10:08   #61
Volvo Ocean Race
Volvo Ocean Race

Default Safety

In most cases of accident 100% depending from which side you get a kick.
You will say : this is for common driving high ways town ect...
On any higher speed front and rear crash is terrible and hopefully no one will need to test his car as Im last 30 years on road all over the Europe, Middle East and even China and I saw many car crash including Volvo.
Yes they safe a life all this improvements in safety from Sweden but in most cases (real one) people are so injured that I cry seeing accidents most of this on high ways with monkeys thinking in small cars (Clio, Hyundai kinder egs and other Ford Ka and similar) that they are in Ferrari.
Volvo XC90 few accidents in Italy - cover of engine enter passenger place and arrived to back seats...I didnt have a possibility to check on how many cars this bolts is missed but...

I have mention this particular here on safety as will be never acceptable and I will repaet again and again that person who is in charge not to work on this bolts (installation in factory) but person who confirm - inspector that car is passed all rigorous cheking - need to finish in prison. No courts no excuses no bullings - as its impossible that someone "forget" engine cover bolt.

See photo on my car.

p.s. maybe a little bit off topic but safety is allways on top concerne of new or old cars.

Roof was not even touch ground with all weight of car on this test. They know this very well on testing devices in Torslanda.
Did they improved inspection of bad parts, bad quality materials and companies delivering same bad parts? Im not so sure. Everywhere they just showing photos of nice leather sticchers, plastic fantastic buttons, big display what is dissaster in drving and looking in middle console, speach voice is total crap id you are with wife or children - forget this..., common mistakes what people last 10 years complaining, changing and buying again and again...? I didnt found 1 simple post or news about improvement of problems with old models. Not 1 simple post.
Technicaly takling about new engines ect...Nooo we wont to know what we are buying not "cat in bag". So sorry but its true-times are changed when we know : Volvo = good Swedish car. No more sorry. When you spent on new car 5-10.000 Euro in few years repairing this is
new part mafia nothing else.
This and many others will lead to old Volvo owners NOT to buy new cars from Volvo. And hell Im one of them as repairing new car and now all this years cost me nerves, a lot of money and good reputation of Volvo dissapear. I like my car but this is totaly unecepatble from top model to have all this problems. And to go again testing new model if...NO WAY.

Update:
09.Febr.2019 from Sept. 2014 I made up to 305.000 km

Last edited by Volvo Ocean Race; Oct 5th, 2014 at 10:12.
Volvo Ocean Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 11:29   #62
kiteski

Quote:
Originally Posted by evisible View Post
Hi,
Newbie to forum and brand here. If anyone has the new XC90 Spec and price list, could you post it please?
Thanks
http://www.volvocars.com/uk/Document...-Pricelist.pdf
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 14:45   #63
TWPC

The configurator is now working on the website too.

http://cssmail.volvocars.com/u/nrd.p...53_912644_1_20

A CD player now costs £100 extra... sign of the times.

The sat nav system now comes with lifetime annual map updates as standard.

Last edited by TWPC; Oct 8th, 2014 at 14:53.
TWPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 15:09   #64
TWPC

Default Crazy but quite interesting

The new XC90 T8 gives you 400hp for £60K.

None of the other large SUVs, Porsche, Merc, BMW, Land Rover, has anything that close in terms of hp/£... except the BMW X50d which starts at £64K but is a much older design.

I am always sensible shoes, but how bizarre to suggests that the made T8 might actually be good value!
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 21:48   #65
chrisrixy

Default hands on with ew xc90

What Car? are looking for people to see the XC90 for a reader preview - next Monday in Kent.

Apply here..

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/firs...ource=20141008

Would be nice - but a bit far for me..
chrisrixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2014, 21:31   #66
Keith Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWPC View Post
The configurator is now working on the website too.

http://cssmail.volvocars.com/u/nrd.p...53_912644_1_20

A CD player now costs £100 extra... sign of the times.

The sat nav system now comes with lifetime annual map updates as standard.
So I've had a go at this then - went a bit crazy with the options on an R design diesel with "large" wheels, fancy leather, sunroof etc.

That will be close to £60k then!!!

I think I'll be buying 2nd hand in a few years time.... :-(
Keith Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 09:55   #67
mickv

Yes - I tried that too, mainly to make sure the pricing of the First Edition wasn't iffy. I actually found that I could get over the FE price by starting with an Inscription D5 and ticking all the boxes. There were some FE features that seemed not to show on the configurator, but I might just have missed them. Gave me some peace of mind that they are not overpricing the FE vs a self specced model.

I also managed to satisfy myself that I couldn't afford a specced up T8 - easy to get over £80k, which is getting silly and I think having to plug it in would get on my nerves anyway. That's what I keep telling myself.

Is anyone going to manage a trip to the London Golf Club to see it in the flesh? Looks like an R Design?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bz4zYYzCQAIeQ8f.jpg:large
mickv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 09:40   #68
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

One thing I can't seem to find out - Is the new 8sp auto box a traditional type, or a dual clutch type similar to the VAG DSG?

Mike
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 10:50   #69
TWPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducklakeview View Post
One thing I can't seem to find out - Is the new 8sp auto box a traditional type, or a dual clutch type similar to the VAG DSG?

Mike
Conventional torque converter auto I would guess.

None of their big SUV competitors except the Porsche Cayenne use DSG boxes. See also the following comment from a report by Motor Trend when Volvo took a load of journalists for rides in the new XC90 test mules in April:
"Expect the new Drive-E T5 and T6 engines as found in the current S60 to be present here, mated to an evolution of the new eight-speed Aisin automatic transmission."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...90_first_ride/
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 10:55   #70
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWPC View Post
Conventional torque converter auto I would guess.

None of their big SUV competitors except the Porsche Cayenne use DSG boxes. See also the following comment from a report by Motor Trend when Volvo took a load of journalists for rides in the new XC90 test mules in April:
"Expect the new Drive-E T5 and T6 engines as found in the current S60 to be present here, mated to an evolution of the new eight-speed Aisin automatic transmission."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...90_first_ride/
Touareg uses the 8 speed DSG, and I have to say, it is bloody awesome, neighbour got a new "R Type" with the 245bhp 3.0Tdi in March, and I#ve driven it a few times now..

Mike
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducklakeview For This Useful Post: