Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 Geartronic - Hesitation/delay in pulling away...

Views : 45608

Replies : 185

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2009, 11:57   #61
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Havent heard owt from them since Monday Tem. im still on hols for another week and im no chasing them. Ive got a car from VCUK to run around with just now so I'll wait till they get in touch. Saw you are having probs with yours. Have you got it sorted yet.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 12:02   #62
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
Have you got it sorted yet.
No.
Everything has come to a stop, due to the Easter Holidays.
Volvo UK Technical Dept, are shut until Tuesday.

tem.

Last edited by tem; Apr 12th, 2009 at 12:03. Reason: spelling.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 19:58   #63
Lucien
VOC Member

Default XC90 hesitation

Not sure if you're still collecting owner experiences, but my 07 XC90 D5 has the hesitation problem and has had it from new. In fact the car I test drove before buying also had it. I was told by the salesman that it would disappear after about 12,000 miles. of course it never did. You do learn to adapt your driving to accomodate the delay, but it is definitely a fault.

Kind regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 19:54   #64
Bomber

Unhappy XC90 Hesitation

very interesting reading these posts. I have a 56 Reg XC90 D5 which didn't have this problem at all until the most recent regular service and now it's a nightmare when pulling away from standstill in a hurry (I agree fully with the word "dangerous") - beforehand it leapt into action as soon as you hit the throttle. Went into the dealer today to be fixed but came back with exactly the same problem. I feel pretty certain it must be a software issue, what else could they have changed in a routine service? Nonetheless interesting to know others have had the same issue and will discuss this with dealer tomorrow.
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 22:21   #65
Clan
Experienced Member

Nothing like that is changed in the routine service but did they do a recall software upgrade whilst it was in ?
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 12:19   #66
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Mine was fine until dealer did something with software upgrades then it turned into a nightmare for it. Unfortunately according to VCUK there are no other complaints for this fault and there are no fault codes show for it when plugged in therefore it doesnt exist.............................
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 23:51   #67
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

It seems odd they would decide to change the autobox software on a three year old model that was working OK. Certainly not part of the service.

Roy
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 13:31   #68
Chipman
Chipman

Same problem with my '05 XC90 D5 - initially accepted the problem as this was the first automatic we had owned and assumed it characteristic of all auto boxes. It is a real nuisance and requires a change in driving style to constantly compensate for the time lag.
Chipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 19:34   #69
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Well Im going to pick my car up in the morning probably along with the expected "no fault codes found" although there was a comment about some valve POSSIBLY being the cause although they couldn't replicate the fault. (Did I hear anyone say smacks of ETM issue there???) Getting an "abridged" version of the engineers report tomorrow sometime as the full report is confidential and I'm not allowed access to it. There has been yet another software download to the "time shift" on the gearbox whatever that is. Other than that the car is coming back "as was" and to give it a try now and see if there's any improvement. Should also add that there was a comment again about there being a device that limits the power if you try to take off too quickly to protect the driveline from damage. Seems strange when thats the only way I can get mine to go some days!!

Last edited by 4wheeldriver; Apr 27th, 2009 at 20:01.
4wheeldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 12:57   #70
AB-UK
Premier Member

Chipman,
I drove a 3.0D Grand Cherokee automatic a while back - similar size and shape to the XC90, and it did not have the hestitation.

4Wheeldriver - I'm very interested to know if the "timeshift" download has any effect on the take-off delay.

I referred this to VOSA, but apart from telling me they have sent the matter to Volvo for their investigation, I have heard nothing back yet.
As it has been referred to Volvo I don't expect anything at all from this.
Isn't there some kind of independent vehicle testing "ombudsman" in the UK? Sounds like we need one.

Last edited by AB-UK; Apr 29th, 2009 at 15:03.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote