Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

gearbox fluid change, too cheap ?

Views : 6700

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2013, 21:00   #61
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

has anyone tried millers atf ? they say its JWS 3309 spec. and its under £30 for 5 ltrs

Dave

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automot...435&sector=Car
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 23:49   #62
Jaipal2004

SonyVaio....

When I asked for a TCM update I was informed VIDA stated I already had the latest version. When I asked for the part number I was told the same one as provided by Shadeyman.

Do you know what version is the last TCM software? I'll check with the dealer.

Can I update this myself using VIDA?
Jaipal2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 00:54   #63
SonyVaio
VOC Member

99.9% of dealers have no idea about actual software version numbers and just leave it to the computer to say whether there is software available or not.

If there is no software available then you will have the latest version. To check for TCM update whether it be today they would use a certain part number and if they wanted to check tomorrow again it would be the same part number again even if the software version were to change.

e.g if you checked for TCM update today with a part number 123456 and actually updated the TCM from v1.0 to v1.1, then Volvo were to released a new update later today (v1.2) then you could come back tomorrow and you would once again use the same part number as before 123456 to check to see if there was a new TCM update available to take you from v1.1 to v1.2 etc... The part number does not change, a TCM update is a TCM update even though the software version behind the update will change.

I'll have to look in VIDA again but I'm sure you can find out what software version modules have loaded. The only thing is dealers don't have lists of software versions and wouldn't be able to tell you if a certain version number was the latest or not. They would just want to charge you and plug car into computer to tell if an update is available.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 11:40   #64
Jaipal2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
99.9% of dealers have no idea about actual software version numbers and just leave it to the computer to say whether there is software available or not.

If there is no software available then you will have the latest version. To check for TCM update whether it be today they would use a certain part number and if they wanted to check tomorrow again it would be the same part number again even if the software version were to change.

e.g if you checked for TCM update today with a part number 123456 and actually updated the TCM from v1.0 to v1.1, then Volvo were to released a new update later today (v1.2) then you could come back tomorrow and you would once again use the same part number as before 123456 to check to see if there was a new TCM update available to take you from v1.1 to v1.2 etc... The part number does not change, a TCM update is a TCM update even though the software version behind the update will change.

I'll have to look in VIDA again but I'm sure you can find out what software version modules have loaded. The only thing is dealers don't have lists of software versions and wouldn't be able to tell you if a certain version number was the latest or not. They would just want to charge you and plug car into computer to tell if an update is available.

The dealer in question had the car connected up for reading out the DTC's anyway so I had to pay for the privilege. He said that my car already "had the latest version" and there was no point paying for having it reloaded. WHen I asked for what was on there - that's when he gave me the same item code.

I take on board what you're saying and part of me hopes I don't have the latest version .... question is, how do I check?

Can somebody with VIDA anything for me? Hate going to the dealer, asking lots of questions only to be at their mercy with how honest they are being with you!

Thanks for all your help mate !!
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 12:45   #65
Jaipal2004

SonyVaio - just looking thru' the paperwork received when dealer attempted the TMC software upgrade...

The VIDA screen shows order status as 'order failed' for item number 30677036. I believe this is because the software already is the latest version on the car?

Just spoke to a friendly Indy (Squire Automotive) who have also said I should reset adaptations and then take the car down the road, trying not to brake?

I can recreate the fault pretty much at will now by driving to about 60/65mph, 2.2k revs and then braking or reducing speed.
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 19:04   #66
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipal2004 View Post
Can somebody with VIDA anything for me?
Yes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
Didn't get chance to try it yesterday, weather was crap and the pubs were open ..

So this morning I decided to have a "mess". I used that word because I really didn't have any idea what, where or how.

But, after connecting my laptop and the DICE interface to our XC90 and a couple of hours "messing" I found this:

Decided to do this:

Then after reading a little more, did this to:

I'll let you know if everything still works when I pick my sister in-law up in about 50 minutes ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
Just picked up the sister-law. 10 mile round trip including 2 miles of motorway.

There's not a huge difference but the gear changes are more positive and the whole thing feels more assertive, like someone blew the cobwebs away.

This is the way I expected it to feel when Volvo changed the transmission fluid but I didn't feel any difference until now.

So reseting the transmission oil counter and erasing the TCM adaptive data is what actually makes the car feel and drive differently, not just changing the fluid.

PM sent ...
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 19:11   #67
Shadeyman
VOC Member

@Jaipal2004 - Control module adaptation procedure attached ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Control module adaptation.pdf (154.4 KB, 35 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Shadeyman For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 21:09   #68
Jaipal2004

Thanks mate - seems very intense and not sure it'll help with my error code?! I might end up inadvertently triggering the DTC during the process.

I got the TCM-002F come back up after giving the car some beans on Friday after leaving your neck of the woods!

Cheers for the PDF bud
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 21:31   #69
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Glad I could help. Hope you manage to sort the comunication error, good luck ..