Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Crying Shame !!

Views : 6987

Replies : 117

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2012, 18:05   #61
paddy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXS View Post
Sorry to not getting back to you over the swap BUT the wife said No any how when was the last time you had the codes read and reset and see what codes came back IMO i would get the codes read then reset and see what comes back mite be different codes or the same but will put you / us in the right direction to help you sort this prob if you can get a code reader (draper) and can get over to me one week end we could have a damm good go at getting it sorted
Just got back from a 10 mile drive and Orange Arrow Still NOT Flashing ! But Engine Managment light still on.
Dont want to turn it off as was told by to leave the light on to see if it would go off itself. So far its still on.
Cheers for your offer of popping around yours to have a good look mate..May well take you up on that soon !!
paddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 18:15   #62
paddy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmason View Post
did you take the sensor out the air intake hose completely and squirt a cleaner in?

also, has the light flashed previously or is this the first time its flashed?

if those little holes are blocked, it will mess up your fuelling, also if the hoses are leaking it will.

your gearbox is fine id say. and i havent even seen the car.

the most common thiing to go wrong is the rubber hoses all under the bonnet to perish, cos they get the hammer with the heat from the engine.

also the little sensor i said to clean out in the air intake hose, forgot what its called but someone may be able to tell on here. that regularly cloggs up and needs a good thorough clean every 6 month or year. especially with town driving itll clogg up more.

so dont give up on a lovely car cos itll just be something so simple.

ive changed all my hoses under the bonnet so i know i dont have problems one after another.
Yes mate, Unclipped the Sensor as you said, Gave it a good squirt with the carb cleaner, also a wipe out with a Cotton Bud.
Checked the small hose next to the Thermo Housing..and other hoses around it, all good....unless i may of missed one ! preety sure i checked them all.
Only thing i did not do was the PCV.
Before i did anyting today Arrow was flashing..Management light on.
After checking Vac hoses Arrow stopped Flashing..Managment light ON.

Done about 15 miles today to see if Management light would go off on its own..Still ON...But no flashing arrow ??!!??

Mate of mine has a Code reader he got off Fleabay...could borrow that and clear light and see what codes come back ?
Or shall i wait a bit longer to see if light clears itself?
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 19:04   #63
960kg
Premier Member

One good thing the Arrow isn`t flashing but the ECU has to learn that it is off which means a few cold starts or just use the motor. You can erase it but i would leave alone and let the ECU do it when it`s caught up with what has been corrected.
You can do more harm playing with the codes just use it a while unless of course it is not practical to drive it properly.

It must be driving you crackers by now??

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 19:18   #64
paddy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
One good thing the Arrow isn`t flashing but the ECU has to learn that it is off which means a few cold starts or just use the motor. You can erase it but i would leave alone and let the ECU do it when it`s caught up with what has been corrected.
You can do more harm playing with the codes just use it a while unless of course it is not practical to drive it properly.

It must be driving you crackers by now??
Your not wrong there mate ! Ok will leave the Management light where it is.

Please God it goes off on its own accord.

As i was looking at the car today, an old guy walked past with his dog, told me he was a Mechanic back in his working days.
He said somthing about clutch inside Auto Box may be the Culprit ??
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 19:26   #65
RXS
manic monkey

yep mite be your bands but you said that when the orange arrow isnt up / flashing it behaves well ( Like a T5 should ) we have gota figure out what is throwing up limp home mode the offer is still there

1999 V40 1.8i GDI manual

Rob
RXS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RXS For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 20:32   #66
Lmason
L Mason

hi paddy,
id strongly suggest drive the car, do not reset the engine management light or disconnect the battery overnight.

if it was the thinggy majiggy valve sensor in the air pipe, you will have to drive the car through the rev range, give it a bit thrashing up a motorway or short open road, accelerating but staying in the speed limit !

then let it tick over for a while.

cos this vale thing if you have corrected it will operate properly when it is driven is when the engine management light will go out.

was there any muck in the valve paddy?
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lmason For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 20:35   #67
Lmason
L Mason

these engines are very higly tuned, and a slight leak or blockage in the vacuum system upsets the running ans the engine management light picks it up.

uf the arrow light has gone off first, the engine management light should follow a few miles afterwards, im pretty sure im right.

when you get the chance, do the pcv sytem, cos these engines have to be naintained well to prevent the engine management light coming on
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lmason For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 21:02   #68
paddy1

Quote:
was there any muck in the valve paddy?
Plenty of Black **** came out once i gave it a blast with the Spray!
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 21:07   #69
paddy1

Quote:
when you get the chance, do the pcv sytem, cos these engines have to be naintained well to prevent the engine management light coming on
Any Pictures anywhere on this procedure mate, as still not quite sure where i am looking let alone Doing !!
I know you told me where it is but dont think i am looking in the right place.
Do you need to get under the car to find it??
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 22:09   #70
Paffel
VOC Member

Its a breathing network of pipes paddy, they run all around the engine. I think theres a guide on here somewhere, search the 850 forum for PCV, it should come up...
A time consuming job, but parts will cost you between £75-£100 if you go to Volvo via forum member Rufe.

Previous; '98 V70XC, '97 V40 2.0, '94 855 T5,'02 S60 D5,'97 V70 AWD,'90 740 Turbo,'97 855 T5 Auto,99 V70 10V,'04 S80 D5,'99 V70R AWD'01 S60 T5
Paffel is offline   Reply With Quote