Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Car Paint Protection

Views : 14632

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2011, 16:28   #61
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

cheers Robert for the input and confirmation of what i thought
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 19:12   #62
XC60MY12
Country Member

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your detailed thread and the photos of my car. You were going to give me some aftercare tips, which you might like to put up here for the benefit of everyone.

Cheers

John

PS Love the way you obscured the reg! Care to share your method?

Last edited by XC60MY12; Sep 8th, 2011 at 19:19. Reason: Added PS
XC60MY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 13:10   #63
Prism

Wash Technique

As a professional detailer, I have seen many many cars with paint defects caused by poor washing by the owner and many paind contractors (valeters, car washes etc..). When I carry out a detail for a customer or when doing demo days representing Swissvax, I’m always asked about the correct wash technique. This guide is really only for the body work and taken from a forum which I sponsor an have done many demo days for in the past helping their members keep on top of maintaining their car, because the last thing you want to do is ruin the paintwork after it looks soo good. Sorry the pics are taken from an Audi S5 (the guide was for the A5/S5 Owners club)

Let’s start with what you need:

• 2 x Buckets
• Shampoo
• 2 x Lambs Wool Wash Mitts
• Sponge
• Hose (with gun attachment)
• 1 x Microfibre (2x optional for ease of use)
• Pressure Washer (Optional)
• Grit Guards (Optional)
• Detailer Spray (Optional)

You want to fill the first bucket with look warm water with the correct dilution ratio for your shampoo and the second bucket with look warm water. Add the grit guards if you have them

To start with you want to rinse off the car, start with the roof and work your way down so the water and dirt is constantly moving downwards on the car. Pay particular attention to the arches/sills and remove as much dirt as possible. This will be easier if you have a gun attachment on the hose and easier again with a Pressure Washer.

With your first wash mitt, dunk it into the clear water bucket to remove any contaminates within the wash mitt. Then dunk into the bucket with the shampoo. Start with the roof in the middle and work in long straight lines from the windscreen to the rear window from the middle of the roof to the edge. Never work down the car and back up or in circular motions as this will cause swirls in your paint work. At this stage you want to dunk into the clear water bucket and shake to remove any dirt from the wash mitt. Repeat the process on the other half of the roof.

Then onto the bonnet of the car, same process as the roof, long straight line from the back to the front of the bonnet. Half way down the bonnet again rinse the wash mitt and again back into the wash bucket and keep going.

Onto the sides of the car, start at the top and one full length of the car and work your way down in steps, once your half way down the door move to the other side repeat the process and the same for the rear. At this point because of the amount of dirt lower down on a car, move onto your second wash mitt and keep going.

Now use the sponge dunked into the shampoo bucket to wash the tyres and alloy wheels and inside the arches, every time it’s heavily soiled dunk into the rinse bucket until all 4 are complete.

At this stage you will notice one of the buckets (the rinse bucket) black with dirt and the other bucket (the wash bucket with shampoo) still clear.

You want to rinse the car, using your hose with gun attachment or Pressure washer, again starting from the top and working down again paint attention to the wheels and arches.

Empty both buckets safely.

To dry the car, fill one of the buckets with warm water again and use the microfibre to dry the car, if it become dirty rinse in the clear water and ring out. If you have detailer spray then use this first before using the microfibre as this will help to disperse the water and give a better finish.

Wheels:

You need:
  • 1 Bucket
    Wheel brush
    Tyre Brush
    Arch brush
    APC (All Purpose Cleaner)
    Wheel Cleaner (Non acidic)

Fill the bucket with clean look warm water and leave your brushes in it to soak.

Start by rinsin the wheel, tyres and arches....at this stage your wanting to help yourself by removing any of the loose dirt, road grime and brake dust.

Start by applying the wheel cleaner to the alloys then work with a wheel brush an into the back of the alloys with a long reach brush.

The tyres and arches, spray with APC and work with an arch brush (I used the same brush for the tyres and arches)

Then rinse with a pressure washer....

This video shows much of the washing process which should give you some insight into how best to wash your vehicle:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

My recommended list of products for use after your details john are the following:

Shampoo: Dodo Juice Born to be Mild (definately considered as on of the best shampoo's on the market)

Wheel Cleaner: I would recommend something mild, with Rim Sheild being applied there will not be much work involved, but would consider something like Dodo Juice Mellow Yellow Wheel cleaner, but If Rim Shield was not applied and you use protection on your wheels yourself then Duragloss 821 as its a fantastic wheel cleaner

Tyre Dressing: This is one of the first things you will notice to disappear after you have had your car protected. My personal favourite is Swissvax Pneu, but this is quite expensive costing £20 for 250ml, alternatively you could get Duragloss 253 for £12 for much more, but recently there has been a product from Dodo Juice called Tyromania which unlike the previous two you dont spray on, its like a pot of wax an you apply it like so but onto your tyres. This can also be used on the trim as well with excellent results.

Trim dressing: As mentioned above you could use Tyromania, but my favourite is Swissvax Nano Express andd this was used on John XC60, this cost £30 for 250ml but in reality it will go a very long wax........

Glass cleaner: Dodo Juice Clearly Menthol, without a doubt the best glass cleaner on the market.

If i have missed anthing out then let me know but I hope this has been some guidence

If you are looking for any other help please do not hesitate to contact me

Robert
Prism Detailing
Prism is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prism For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 16:10   #64
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Excellent Robert,

Thank you for your contribution and enhancing us with your detailing knowledge, John (XC60FAN) seems over the moon with your high quality work and I think everyone else is equally happy and impressed with your write up.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 15:22   #65
robg

i use the two bucket method with a grit guard. It works. No swirls on either of my cars. Worth the extra effort.

rob
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 00:23   #66
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Excellent Robert,

Thank you for your contribution and enhancing us with your detailing knowledge, John (XC60FAN) seems over the moon with your high quality work and I think everyone else is equally happy and impressed with your write up.

Too true
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 09:15   #67

The best thing about dealer paint protection when I was a car salesman was I got £50 for every one sold ! 20 cars a month and it soon adds up.
My valeters would put it on as quick as possible as they got paid on each car they valeted.

Basically supaguard and diamondbrite are a con. I don't think any wax will last lots of months as it will wear away with washing. Far better to get a good quality wax and apply every 2-3 months. Turtle wax ice came out best in recent tests.
12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 18:06   #68
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
I don't think any wax will last lots of months as it will wear away with washing.
Depends how you wash it I think. See above answer #63.
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 18:20   #69
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
... I don't think any wax will last lots of months as it will wear away with washing. ...
Good thing then that Supagard isn't wax then
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 20:38   #70
Prism

Quote:
The best thing about dealer paint protection when I was a car salesman was I got £50 for every one sold ! 20 cars a month and it soon adds up.
My valeters would put it on as quick as possible as they got paid on each car they valeted.

Basically supaguard and diamondbrite are a con.
I would agree with a few points, Supaguard has been proven to be a decent protection system, if the preperation is good before hand and even application, but as mentioned for the time given to the valeters there is not enough time.

A customer of mine asked a dealer how long will it take to apply, they said 20 mins, his reply was he could get a detailer (myself) to spend 12 hours on his car fully protecting it, so it shows your really are being conned.

Also with these products, if you use any polish to take out the swirls the dealers have put in then you have lost the protection....

Quote:
I don't think any wax will last lots of months as it will wear away with washing.
I am currently using sealants offering up to a years protection but i do have a wax which will also last a year (but it does cost £800 for 200ml of it) and another which will last for 8 months, both of these waxes like the good sealants (wolf Chemicals/Permanon/G-techniq) then they have self cleaner properties making it easy to clean the car.
Prism is offline   Reply With Quote