Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel DPF recall

Views : 81943

Replies : 450

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2010, 20:42   #61
The Doc

Hi Bill 56, That is precisely my point.
Many people lament the growing litigious trends in the UK disparagingly said to have been imported from the US but in the US big business routinely try to **** people (such as Ford and the Pinto affair), so I have no problem with using the Courts when it is appropriate or even the Police when it appropriate. My background is as en expert witness in the Courts so I am familiar with the process. But I am also aware of the dangers and pitfalls.
The oil analysis and a letter to the dealer is a very good strategy. The analysis will cost you less than the cost less than a six litres of Castrol's super duper oil.
I am impressed with the TLC that people lavish on their Volvo's by being prepared to change oil so frequently, although as TiredGeek advises, it may be driven by disdain for the views of Volvo & Co.
One point made by TiredGeek which I would respectfully disagree with is when he said:

"Frankly I think we're buggered unless some trade body / government agency get involved, and I can't see that happening....... "

It doesn't necessarily require a trade body or a Government agency or the Courts, to solve this in the first instance. As Bill 56 implied in an earlier email, we could try Volvo in the Court of Public Opinion. He mentioned that he had contacted the BBC Watchdog programme but he have not heard from them. Can you tell me: When did you make your enquiry? To whom did you direct your enquiry? What did your enquiry contain?

If you have drawn a blank wioth the BEEB would you mind if I tried?

Also, what about that icon of all petrol heads Jeremy Clarkson? Has anyone done anything with Top Gear?

If not, then I am happy to do so by sending them the letter I will be hand delivering to my dealer tomorrow.

Note to TiredGeek. We are singing from the same hymn sheet. Hopefully we can continue to do that and that way we will resolve this to everyone's satisfaction ... well perhaps not everyone's if you include Volvo’s!!!
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Doc For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 21:08   #62
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
As Bill 56 implied in an earlier email, we could try Volvo in the Court of Public Opinion. He mentioned that he had contacted the BBC Watchdog programme but he have not heard from them. Can you tell me: When did you make your enquiry? To whom did you direct your enquiry? What did your enquiry contain?

If you have drawn a blank wioth the BEEB would you mind if I tried?
Please do, Doc and anybody else who can be bothered, that's why I mentioned it.

I used Watchdog's html on-line form, which is pity as I don't have an exact copy of what I said. An email, or written letter, would have been better. So far as I recall...

I think it was about 14th May, as that's when I first mentioned it on the forum.

I believe I entitled it 'Volvo admits runaway acceleration problem'.

I basically explained the background to problem, and Volvo's pathetic response. I suggested that they should ask one of their reporters to keep an eye on the issue as it unfolded, in the interests of consumers. I specifically pointed them at this thread, as well as the initial CNN news release, although I think the CNN page has now been removed.

- Bill
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 21:15   #63
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
Please do, Doc and anybody else who can be bothered, that's why I mentioned it.

I used Watchdog's html on-line form, which is pity as I don't have an exact copy of what I said. An email, or written letter, would have been better. So far as I recall...

I think it was about 14th May, as that's when I first mentioned it on the forum.

I believe I entitled it 'Volvo admits runaway acceleration problem'.

I basically explained the background to problem, and Volvo's pathetic response. I suggested that they should ask one of their reporters to keep an eye on the issue as it unfolded, in the interests of consumers. I specifically pointed them at this thread, as well as the initial CNN news release, although I think the CNN page has now been removed.

- Bill
PS: I was mistaken, the CNN page is still there...

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS...ration/?hpt=T2
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 21:26   #64
The Doc

Dear All, Following on from Bill 56's suggestion that everyone who has this problem should get an oil analysis and send it to their dealer with a letter I wondered if everyone would know who to send their oil sample to. I have gone away to ask the Administrator of this forum if it is permissible for me to tell you who I used. I have been given permission to do so.
For the avoidance of doubt I have no commercial relationship with the company other than as a customer.
The details are:

Swansea Tribology Services Ltd
5 Penrice Court
Fendrod Business Park
Valley Way
Swansea
SA6 8QW
Tel: 01792 799036
Fax: 01792 799034
www.trib.co.uk

The laboratory Director is Dr Dzmitry Korachkin (results@trib.co.uk)

They need sample of around 150 ml of oil. I used a 1" diameter surgical syringe with a long narrow pipe attached that goes into the dipstick hole. It must be new and scrupulously clean. The local chemist could probably supply what you need.
Make sure the engine is hot and that you take the sample just after you shut the engine down to ensure you have a representative sample.

The cost is circa £60 + VAT

The Doc
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 21:48   #65
TiredGeek
Master Member

Doc, you are one clever dude

Do you think you could post the content of your letter so that the rest of us can copy it? That way Volvo are going to get a significant number of the same letter (give or take) and then someone might notice that this has hit the collective consciousness and that they can't fob us off individually.

Has anyone taken advice from Trading Standards about this? I'm not sure what their take on it would be but I'm sure they'd have advice worth listening to.

Note to Doc: I'm just a cynic, I've seen things like this before, I'm sure I'll see 'em again. Ignore me, I might go away
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 22:30   #66
The Doc

Dear TiredGeek. Not sure the compliments are justified but thanks all the same.
I won't ignore you, so you don't go away. We need numbers in this issue and your contribution is valued.
I am uncertain that my letter would be a lot of use as it is pretty specific to my interaction with my dealer. I am very happy to help anyone with a draft of letter so let me take a look at what I've got and see if I can generalise for distribution.
The local Service Manager is a nice and knowledgable guy. The foreman, however, has a customer relations problem, possibly brought on by his being out of his depth with this one.
I feel the same about Trading Standards. My guess is that this will be above the pay grade of anyone in a local trading standards department. But if you have an hour to invest in this then go for it.
I have faith in our systems. If someone messes with me I don't get mad, I get even, and I don't lose too many battles.
I will be taking the letter to the dealer tomorrow and will come away with a signed receipt for it. That's the way to do it.
I will also try to make contact with the media as discussed with Bill 56.
It is late now. Time for my Horlicks. Good night.
Regards
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 22:39   #67
Bill_56
Premier Member

I've had a thought about this.

If we document, on the forum, a list of dealers to whom letters have been written, and who are therefor likely to face legal claims for damage, it's possible that the dealers might discover a fresh enthusiasm for pursuing Volvo for a proper solution to the problem?

That's just a thought, and I won't necessarily volunteer to start it as I don't want to sour my relationship with the dealer. Then again, the dealer took my £££ cash when I bought the car, and takes my £££ cash each time I service the car, and offered no support at all in this fiasco, so maybe I shouldn't be so sensitive!

But it MAY break forum rules, so I await comment from any attentive moderators?

Meanwhile... Doc, can you elaborate on your instructions for taking an oil sample via dipstick hole? I have a syringe, left over from an unused inkjet DIY refill kit. But is it safe to push a small-bore plastic tube through the dipstick hole, or did you use s metal tube? I worry plastic may get caught and snag on the way out, ending in a VERY embarrassing trip to the dealers to rectify...
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 07:17   #68
The Doc

Hi Bill, the point you make about potentially souring relation with the individual dealers is legitimate but it depends on how your complaint is presented. The guys in the dealerships are only the carriers of Volvo's bad message and so we should not do as the Greeks did and kill the messenger who carries the bad news.
But, as I said previously, my Service Manager is a good guy and I am sure he is embarrassed by his having fallen from grace by having to defend the indefensible position Volvo is in. A bit like Mr Haywood of BP in the Gulf.
On the issue of having a database or even some indication of how many of us have this problem, I am unclear how that would work. We are after all a very small fraction of the possible owners of Volvos who have this problem because we are the only ones who are on this forum. We could understate the problem if we are not careful. But even knowing our number could be useful ammunition.
On the issue of a tube for taking a an oil sample. I used a piece of tube I had left over from an experiment after my engineering business shut down. It is 6.5mm outer diameter and 2.5mm inner diameter. It is very flexible. As for getting it jammed in the dipstick hole, that is legitimate concern but if the pipe is of a decent quality and less that the width of the dipstick itself, I would be surprised if it were to get stuck. The dipstick after all is a fairly rigid piece of steel that goes pretty much straight down into the top of the sump ..... but [DISCLAIMER] this is not a warranty of fitness for purpose of any particular tube!!! LOL
The important thing is to make sure that the pipe stays on the syringe.
If you are to use a 'second hand' ink jet syringe then you have to make sure that it is very clean, having been washed in warm water and thoroughly dried. The oil analysis people use some very sophisticated kit to detect ... almost everything.
Good luck.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 07:43   #69
The Doc

Default Bill's CNN Report

Hi Bill, I missed your link to the CNN report. That is frightening. But the comments by paroquial Yanks were very entertaining, especially the one by Jezza who said: "Oh for God's sake, my Volvo diesel doesn't accelerate even when I want it too."
But the stat's in the report are interesting and frightening. The report which quotes Volvo said: "So far there have been 55 cases of unintended acceleration reported, and Volvo will now send a letter to the owners of about 158,000 cars in 30 European markets". Now unintended acceleration symptom must be at the gross end of the problem, i.e. when the oil level is so high that it is bypassing the piston rings, going upwards into the combustion chamber. When the level is that high then the dilution rate with diesel fuel of the lube oil must be so great that it must be difficult to tell difference between lube oil and fuel.
The flash point of the lube oil that I sampled from my car and had tested was 185degC as opposed to the new sample of oil I supplied to them which was 212degC. The flash point of normal diesel is between 52degC and 96degC so we have some way to go yet but if Volvo have vehicles that are running on and accelerating without warning, by burning the mixture of lube oil contaminated with diesel, then those of us with the problem need to be aware of the dangers .... hence the safety recall.
Sorry to hog this forum at present but I am on a steep learning curve about this issue. If it is too much then please let me know.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 10:12   #70
The Doc

Hi Bill, this is an emailed note just in from Dr Korachkin at Swansea Tribology Services:

"We are able to send out sampling kits (including syringe, tubing, bottles and labels) to any of the forum members wishing to take samples. The kit can be provided free of charge. They can use the promotional code "The Doc sent me".

So the mechanics of taking a sample is solved. I have also confirmed that they will supply and extra long tube of two feet to allow oil to be drawn from the dipstick hole.
To repeat the contact details are:
Swansea Tribology Services Ltd
5 Penrice Court
Fendrod Business Park
Valley Way
Swansea
SA6 8QW
Tel: 01792 799036
Fax: 01792 799034
www.trib.co.uk