Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Sensus update

Views : 13578

Replies : 162

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2017, 10:05   #61
Lexman8
Premier Member

I had 9 updates outstanding yesterday lunchtime. Spotify wouldn't display song info until I updated it so went ahead with just that one update. This led to the usual issue of it not working and not being able to uninstall it either. Several hours later and after a couple of journeys it started working. I've not noticed any changes. It still takes a while to load and start playing.

Updating apps should be a quick and simple task but Volvo make such a meal of it. I'll do the remaining updates some other time.
Old May 11th, 2017, 10:22   #62
S90
IT Guru

I had 7 apps needed updated yesterday, in all it took about 20 mins and all was fine.
Old May 11th, 2017, 10:52   #63
NickHoward

What apps do you guys actually use?

For the life of me, I can't find any app which is easier/quicker to use than it's iOS/Android counterpart.

I only ever listen to my Apple Music in the car (so no radio or other music apps).

The weather app is kinda pointless?

What else do people use?

Past:MY15 XC60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav, Black
NickHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 11:05   #64
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Spotify wouldn't display song info until I updated it so went ahead with just that one update. This led to the usual issue of it not working and not being able to uninstall it either. Several hours later and after a couple of journeys it started working. I've not noticed any changes. It still takes a while to load and start playing..
I also have this issue with the spotify update. Both times I have updated it and open it, it just says "app needs updated" even although it has just updated itself. If shutdown the car and open it again, still says same. Last time it took an hour or two to sort itself out, and not checked yet if same this time. It still plays the previous songlist even although says need updated.

Last night, it still seemed to be chewing data post-upgrade though - my previous issue with the last version.
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 11:12   #65
tem
Premier Member

I have noticed if you have an app (TuneIn for example) on the home screen, you cannot uninstall it.
Selecting FM allowed me to remove the app.

tem.
Old May 11th, 2017, 11:14   #66
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHoward View Post
What apps do you guys actually use?

For the life of me, I can't find any app which is easier/quicker to use than it's iOS/Android counterpart.

I only ever listen to my Apple Music in the car (so no radio or other music apps).

The weather app is kinda pointless?

What else do people use?
Its a valid point really, I don't seriously use any, and have often thought that bottom tile is a bit of wasted real estate! I choose apps just to fill in the gap! I've never found any use for the parking app as its never been linked to any park park I've used. The weather app like you say is a little pointless, I can see what the current weather is outside and if I want to have a forecast, I'll use my phone rather than an app in the car! Driver performance is just a bit embarrassing for my D5 if there are other people in the car ('look at the poor economy I'm getting from my sh**y little four pot!!!).

As for entertainment apps, I really want Spotify to work for me, and I like the interface, but its slow to start up and then buffers way too much during playback. I've tried using over bluetooth internet connection and Wifi hotspot on my phone, and the streaming performance just isn't good, it drops out to buffer way too often in songs. Playing from Spotify on my phone however on bluetooth to the car is brilliant, I have it set on the highest quality and it very rarely breaks up playback. I still can't work out how the phone can do it but the app can't. It must simply be in the way each buffers, and the phone must download the whole song as soon as possibly during after it starts playing.

:wq
Old May 11th, 2017, 11:50   #67
NickHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Driver performance is just a bit embarrassing for my D5 if there are other people in the car ('look at the poor economy I'm getting from my sh**y little four pot!!!).
Made me chuckle!

I can see CarPlay/Android Auto becoming the standard soon.

BMW now have the wireless CarPlay up and running, and if it integrated into the entire Volvo system (HUD, full use of the 12" display), it would be great.

I can't help but feel a lot of time and effort has gone into the Sensus system, which could have been spent on other R&D projects.

Then again, if you are going to build a system like Sensus, it would help to get it perfect - So one could argue that actually, not enough time has been spent on it!

Cruel world......

Past:MY15 XC60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav, Black
NickHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 13:14   #68
neon
Premier Member

I think at the time of launch Sensus had the wow factor and has probably led to a lot of sales from people switching from other brands. I do like it even if it is not quite what I expected in real use. The other thing is it is consistent across other models so the R&D is shared and maybe not enough time has been spent on it on that basis.

Last edited by neon; May 11th, 2017 at 13:18.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 14:02   #69
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
I still can't work out how the phone can do it but the app can't. It must simply be in the way each buffers, and the phone must download the whole song as soon as possibly during after it starts playing.
I also don't understand why some apps take so long to update, load or start working. It's as if the CPU is under-powered or there is insufficient RAM which is leading to memory swapping. I wonder if the S90/V90s have more/better processing capability?
Old May 11th, 2017, 14:31   #70
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
I also don't understand why some apps take so long to update, load or start working. It's as if the CPU is under-powered or there is insufficient RAM which is leading to memory swapping. I wonder if the S90/V90s have more/better processing capability?
If so at what point will we not be able to update as the updates will be for the more powerful units only or they will just crawl.