Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

163 bhp performance any good ?

Views : 11171

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2011, 19:36   #61
volvorocks
Rodney

A fly on the wall

The time is a quarter to five

Wife: “ What would you like for dinner dear”
Husband: “Dinner - I had dinner at 1.00pm”
Wife: “Ok then Tea”
Husband : “What about Tea. Tea is Tea isn’t it”
Wife: “I mean what would you like for Tea”
Husband: “ As I said Tea is Tea and Tea is a drink. You know I don’t drink Tea, so why do you ask me?”
Wife “ I mean what would you like to eat for Tea”
Husband: “As I have said I don’t drink Tea, you know that. Anyway you cannot eat Tea. Tea is a drink
Wife: “Ok what would you like for evening meal , I am about to make it”:
Husband: “Make it would imply construct or manufacture. I believe you mean cook it”
Wife: “Ok what would you like me to cook as food for your evening meal”
Husband “I thought you said you were cooking now”
Wife: “I did”
Husband: “Well it is not yet 5pm and that is late afternoon not evening”
Wife “Ok what would you like me to cook in the way of food for your late afternoon meal”
Husband: “Nothing needs get in the way of food"
Wife: “Ok what sort of food would you like me to cook for your late afternoon meal”
Husband: “Nothing - Im not hungry”
Wife: “Eff off ”

The time is now 5pm
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 22:33   #62
crossedover

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Hi Crossedover

Yes I appreciate that my tests were not scientific and were probably 28-52 as oppose to 30-50 and mentioned that What Car would not have the cement,the passengers, the weighty fuel etc..lol.

Having not driven the D3 in XC60 format I am unable to make the comparison and must say I was a tad disappointed with my D5 results when compared against the What Car D3. I thought if the D5 gives these performance figures which felt pretty darn good then the D3 must be a bargain!

However having said that I find D5 acceptable performance wise and I suppose my figures are a real world indication of what one may expect.

I would be interested in your views and thoughts as to the difference between D3 and D5 with you having tested both back to back

Cheers
Hi VR,

Firstly, don't be disappointed with your stats, it's rare real world scenarios match up with magazine figures (or indeed official fuel consumption stats!).

As for D3 vs D5, and just for clarity both were XC60, I drove the D3 first. It felt quite sluggish really (bearing in mind I owned a 250bhp BMW at the time). Quite adequate of course, just not having anything to inspire. Rather similar actually to my wife's CR-V I'd say, and to put it into context she is very happy with the CR-Vs performance.

In particular one test I always try to do which for me is sadly an all to common real world scenario is emulate an overtake from 40mph or so. The D3 was ok but I'd certainly be a bit more conservative in my manoeuvres if I owned one and trust me I already allow big margins.

Onto the D5 and clearly lots more shove at all speeds but the 40mph overtake test I found to be far better, not as fast as the beemer of course but quite impressive and for a big old bus the way she can pick up her skirts and go at these in gear speeds is impressive and there is something quite satisfying IMO about such a large object being propelled by a large force.

FF to owning one and I'm very pleased with the performance - historically I would have jumped in with the polestar but I'm very pleased with what the car can do. It's no sports car that's for sure but in its way it's very satisfying especially in sports mode.

Incidentally, I don't miss the sports/performance cars as I have this for when
I'm in the mood to play:

Old Sep 28th, 2011, 22:44   #63
Mrjon
Master Member

aaah, superb, is that a speed or street triple ? I can't tell the difference
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 23:09   #64
crossedover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjon View Post
aaah, superb, is that a speed or street triple ? I can't tell the difference
Street...

4 years ago I spent ages choosing my next bike.

I test rode the Speed Triple not knowing about the Street's existence and thought a smaller lighter version would be perfect.

The next day I read about the launch of the Street in MCN, and put my deposit down the day after that and before the first reviews were available. No regrets 4 years on
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 23:17   #65
Mrjon
Master Member

Brilliant, a mate of mine has a street triple, it's certainly nippy and as light as anything he says.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 12:11   #66
stu0710
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
So, which version of the D3 did you drive? The vehicle that you drove will have a significant impact upon the impression - especially when you compare it to an XC60.

I have driven the c30 D3 and it goes like sh1t of a shovel, but I wouldn't consider comparing that to a D3 in an XC60, let alone comparing it to a D5 fitted to an XC60.
The D3 in the C30 is a 150BHP version not the 163BHP fitted to the XC60! I had one last week as a courtesy car and it was indeed very quick!
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 18:40   #67
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossedover View Post
Hi VR,

Firstly, don't be disappointed with your stats, it's rare real world scenarios match up with magazine figures (or indeed official fuel consumption stats!).

As for D3 vs D5, and just for clarity both were XC60, I drove the D3 first. It felt quite sluggish really (bearing in mind I owned a 250bhp BMW at the time). Quite adequate of course, just not having anything to inspire. Rather similar actually to my wife's CR-V I'd say, and to put it into context she is very happy with the CR-Vs performance.

In particular one test I always try to do which for me is sadly an all to common real world scenario is emulate an overtake from 40mph or so. The D3 was ok but I'd certainly be a bit more conservative in my manoeuvres if I owned one and trust me I already allow big margins.

Onto the D5 and clearly lots more shove at all speeds but the 40mph overtake test I found to be far better, not as fast as the beemer of course but quite impressive and for a big old bus the way she can pick up her skirts and go at these in gear speeds is impressive and there is something quite satisfying IMO about such a large object being propelled by a large force.

FF to owning one and I'm very pleased with the performance - historically I would have jumped in with the polestar but I'm very pleased with what the car can do. It's no sports car that's for sure but in its way it's very satisfying especially in sports mode.

Incidentally, I don't miss the sports/performance cars as I have this for when
I'm in the mood to play:

Hi Crossedover

Thanks for this.

Yes I do follow your thoughts on the BMW 250bhp performance to XC60 performance scenario as Ive had some serious metal and then gone as needs must to a lesser powerful car and by george is it noticable.

In essence I do think in part I have been somewhat unfair in the past to compare say the XJR with XC60...although I still do consider it a valuable thought for one considering such a switch. I am however not a particularly fast driver and whilst missing the power of other marks feel that I miss it when I need it..crikes I wish I was in the xxxx now when meeting that budding Lewis Hamilton or overtaking this tractor..lol....I am of the mindset that its always better to have more power and not need it than to have less and find you need it...bit like money really as said before...lol

So I am not as such disapointed with D5 performance per se....just disapointed that D3 may have given similar performance for less cost or better economy - hence my interest in one that had driven both.

The economy of my D5 is pretty poor (around 28mpg) mixed between a bit of motorway and urban prob 50/50 albeit with shortish multi urban stop starts. Doesnt bother me really although hoped for better.We can all hope for better I suppose.

I like the D5 performance and it satisfies me. (although more is sometimes always better..??...sometimes always...????)

I am going to test the 40mph to...??? overtake as you suggest and I do believe these are on Parkers in D3 variant..I think??..just need to find them...

Regards your CRV - have you found it reliable - has it been a good car - as Ive noticed that these are currently on offer at 4yrs 0% with free servicing free breakdown etc etc.Would you recommend the CRV as a second car that mainly does urban with the occassional motorway journey?

Thanks

Last edited by volvorocks; Sep 29th, 2011 at 18:43.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 19:02   #68
Ransman
Master Member

I looked at the CR-V about 15 months ago before opting for the XC60.

The car would have "worked" but there were two things I didn't like; the depreciation was much greater than the Volvo, and the arrogance of the dealer - "once you have had a Honda you will go nowhere else".

They didn't get my custom.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 19:12   #69
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransman View Post

The car would have "worked" but there were two things I didn't like; the depreciation was much greater than the Volvo, and the arrogance of the dealer - "once you have had a Honda you will go nowhere else".

Thanks for this.

Yes exactly.There is confidence and then there is arrogance. Its a fine balance.

I tend to also buy on first impression of the dealers attitude having taken time out for reflection as maybe I might have been wrong.

Did the same with the Volvos.

Regards
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 19:17   #70
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransman View Post

Just had a quick further thought on the dealer comment "once you have had a Honda you will go nowhere else".

Was it the way it was said or the fact it was said?

ie said with confidence joviality and faith or simply "we are the best take it or leave it lesser person"

Regards