Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fitting a dashcam

Views : 16066

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2018, 22:50   #61
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christerart View Post
In August '16 I bought this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OPrYBWCAYc&t=983s

And installed its in our D5 V70 where it's done 18K miles

Always greets us when we start the car - in Chinese which we don't speak - but it's cute and let's us know she is on and when the GPS signal has been acquired - which is neat...

The feature we bought it for - the magnetic quick release has worked flawlessly but over time I have to admit I don't use it unless I/we are in an area we don't know.

Now thinking of adding a rear camera and will either leave this one where's it's mounted and get this one for the rear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdDXjYGfTSY&t=6s

OR - might get this one - Front & Back 1080p Dash-Cam - (and give the DDPai to a deserving soul):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGXiXz6QXQ4&t=21s

For £100 you get both front and rear - what's there not to like..
Ive got a Goluk, which is very similar to the DDPai Mini2, in the front of the Volvo and a £15 cheapy at the back, which has an unacceptably narrow field of view. I'm thinking of getting another Goluk T3 for the rear, which will work with the same phone and pad app as the front one.

In the meantime I sprung on the Aukey combination in your last video link and I have it ready to be fitted in a cupboard. I'm not taking the rather good Goluk out of the Volvo and am thinking of fitting the Aukey either to my daughter's Qashqai or to my own CRV, to replace a £35 Konig unit. Neither of those cars have a rear camera, which is what appeals to me about the Aukey at the price. The Konig will then be fitted to one of my other vehicles, possibly the Ford Ranger.

If the Aukey interferes with the DAB radio though, I will not be 100% happy, but I'll route the cables to the opposite side of the car to the DAB aerial, which I believe is imprinted onto a back side window, although I'm not sure about that yet.

Last edited by Quacker; Apr 8th, 2018 at 23:00.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 09:05   #62
pigglesberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilP1962 View Post
This is crazy

I have the carpet pulled right back so full access to the fusebox cover is there, but I cannot figure out how to get the cover off. It looks like there is a hooked hinge arrangement at the rear (nearest the door) so it should release from the front and swing backwards but I'm putting so much force trying this I'm frightened the plastic breaks.

Volvo need their heads banging together, imagine trying to change a fuse at night by the side of the road. Absolute madness. Can anyone advise please? I really want this dashcam fitted this weekend.
I fitted my Nextbase dash cam yesterday. Had the same issues. Took me 35 minutes to remove the fuse box cover which in the end I snapped off! It's pushed back on and the carpet holds it in so not too bothered but what an absolute joke of a design.

On my previous vehicle when I shut the engine off, my dash cam would switch off almost immediately. With the Volvo, when I get out and lock the car, it takes about 4-5 minutes before it shuts down. Anybody else noticed this?
pigglesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 13:36   #63
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigglesberg View Post
I fitted my Nextbase dash cam yesterday.

On my previous vehicle when I shut the engine off, my dash cam would switch off almost immediately. With the Volvo, when I get out and lock the car, it takes about 4-5 minutes before it shuts down. Anybody else noticed this?
Yes i found the same last week when fitting my Nextbase dashcam - thought initially the (accessory) socket was permanently live when it didnt cut off with the ignition so had to resort to the manual (serious stuff) and it says they stay live for 7 minutes after ignition off - i like that idea as camera is still rolling for 7 minutes after i have left the car.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 16:30   #64
BARNEYROVER
VOC Member

No problems with my Nextbase. Starts up as soon as doors unlocked and shuts down when engine switched off.
BARNEYROVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 17:52   #65
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNEYROVER View Post
No problems with my Nextbase. Starts up as soon as doors unlocked and shuts down when engine switched off.
It depends on where you take the feed from, the 12v sockets stay live for a while after shutting down, several other things stay live for while too, like the window switches and sensus screen but some turn off after you open the door or lock the car.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 20:45   #66
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
It depends on where you take the feed from, the 12v sockets stay live for a while after shutting down, several other things stay live for while too, like the window switches and sensus screen but some turn off after you open the door or lock the car.
Indeed. Most of the systems time off in 5 mins after shut down, including the interior light, which is a right royal pain in the arse if you plan to sit in the car to wait for someone in the dark and plan to maybe read the paper or similar. In fact that is why I know it to be 5 mins, because after the fifth time of it happening I decided to time it...
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 12:37   #67
towbar

I hope to fit a Street Guardian dash cam to an XC90. Have fitted one to my S60 and used power in the rearview mirror to drive the camera. Has anybody tried this on the XC90 as it saves running wires down the pillar? The mirror on s60 was ignition switched and works well.
towbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 09:11   #68
Boatie
Master Member

Started to install my Thinkware F770 yesterday afternoon and in common with others had an almighty fight with the fusebox cover. You do have to question the mindset of whoever designed it. Obviously related to King Kong.

I'm having fun identifying suitable fuses to tap into.(using piggy back connectors). The wiring calls for a switched supply and a permanent one. Can anyone suggest a fuse that is permanently live?. Some go off with the ignition others after a time delay of 5 minutes or so. Checking with a meter is a long drawn out affair as you have to set each check up, close and lock the car and wait. To be honest it's accessing the fusebox with dodgy knees that' the real problem.

Many thanks

Frank
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 08:50   #69
Boatie
Master Member

Just an observation regarding how to run the wires up the A pillar. I've removed the trim and exposed the airbag and wiring. 1) The airbag itself is positioned to the top of the pillar. The bottom 50-60% of the pillars height has the webbing anchor strap from the bag that's bolted at the base to the body. 2) All the wiring etc runs up the forward (windscreen) side of the pillar.3) and most significantly, ALL these wires, some 15 or so, run right across the face of the airbag .

As I've said, just an observation you make your own decisions.

Frank
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 12:12   #70
NeilV90OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
I've fitted one of these into my V90: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5-Mini-...gAAOSwoudW7~0P

If sits very neatly next to the Intellisafe housing at the top of the windscreen on the driver's side. I ran the power cable across the headlining, down the A pillar and plugged into one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Way-12v...97.m4902.l9144 which is fed from the rear seat 12v socket and neatly tucked behind and fixed on the transmission tunnel carpet next to my knee.

I removed the A pillar trim by prising out the little plastic IC logo, there is a small bolt behind it which holds the pillar trim in place.

The whole job took less than an hour and could be removed in half that time, there are no visible wires, in fact my local dealer commented on the neatness and asked where I'd had it fitted!

Paul
(this is my first post!)

I'm looking for a dashcam for my V90, wondering where to place it - do you have any images on how you placed it?
NeilV90OC is offline   Reply With Quote