Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 200hp exec...... you guys are in for a treat.

Views : 18439

Replies : 138

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2010, 19:29   #61
Rentagas
Swedish Chef

Impressions:
22.4mpg over 124 miles!
No spin at all from the Pirelli pzeros
Odd whining noise from steering
Unintelligible controls (how many enter buttons are there?)
Otherwise very, very nice. Very comfortable, very warm, very spacious. Ample power. Stereo very good.
Just need to read the manual................
Rentagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 22:18   #62
moncman

Quote:
22.4mpg over 124 miles!
Ouch...that's a bit gutsy. Hopefully that's over a variation of journeys with plenty of urban work. My old 185 used to average 30-31 quite happily. Hoping this 200hp version will be fairly similar.

Only 9 miles on the clock as picked it up today and used the fair weather (-2 degrees but sunny) to treat it inside and out to an Autoglym Lifeshine prep. Really need to get it done as soon as it is picked up so it was out with the kit (purchased from ebay) rather than time behind the wheel.

Due to cover a good 1000 miles over the holidays so that should give a reasonable assessment.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 10:09   #63
drpepper

So after 3 days of ownership and 260 miles.....

Good points:-

Adequate Performance
Good handling (for something of this side)
Very comfy high speed crusiser
Ipod & Phone integration
Stereo
Ability in the snow even on the stock tyres

Not so good points:-

Dealer!
Lack of interior storage space for such a big car (maybe I've been spoilt with the Disco)
Turning circle (Oil Tanker springs to mind)
Engine noise under hard accerleration (it's not overly offensive, but a bit more sound deadening would help)
Mirrors don't fold from remote locking/unlocking
Miss the heated front screen that Ford group derived products have, shame it never made it to Volvo before the sell off.

I've clocked just over 250 miles with an average speed of 19 MPH so you can see it's a lot of town work, I reckon 60/40 split in favour of town work, rest has been 80-90MPH motorway, running standard BP Diesel and hae seen 23.9MPG which does seem low but it is cold and the engine is new. I'll be trying it on Shell Vpower diesel on the next fill.

All in all I'm very impressed, on balance taking price etc into account I'd say I'd made the right decision in getting the XC instead of a Disco 4.
drpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 10:10   #64
drpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentagas View Post
Impressions:
22.4mpg over 124 miles!
No spin at all from the Pirelli pzeros
Odd whining noise from steering
Unintelligible controls (how many enter buttons are there?)
Otherwise very, very nice. Very comfortable, very warm, very spacious. Ample power. Stereo very good.
Just need to read the manual................
I've had some whining from the steering to, given another post I saw a while back I've been looking for power steering fluid stained snow under the car but nothing yet, it's also pulling left a little, back into dealers next week for FPC fitment so will get them to check it out.
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 10:33   #65
volvocamper
Master Member

re pulling to the left - why not do a few more miles on differing road surfaces/cambers before delving into the realms of having the tracking etc 'adjusted'. It shd be set up at the factory and my view is always to leave well alone unless something is def wrong if not it could be a lot of time/grief to get it back to exactly how it was. Hv you tried driving up the middle of a long straight flat stretch of road?, this should balance the effect of road camber and give you a better idea if it is tracking straight.
volvocamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 14:06   #66
drpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
re pulling to the left - why not do a few more miles on differing road surfaces/cambers before delving into the realms of having the tracking etc 'adjusted'. It shd be set up at the factory and my view is always to leave well alone unless something is def wrong if not it could be a lot of time/grief to get it back to exactly how it was. Hv you tried driving up the middle of a long straight flat stretch of road?, this should balance the effect of road camber and give you a better idea if it is tracking straight.
Yep, have tried on a number of road surfaces including the motorway, def a left hand drift there, it may be tyre pressures so I'll check them but as it's going back in anyway and there's no cost associated they may as well give it the once over, though you could be right, they may make it worse!
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 10:53   #67
tahirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardpsych View Post
Also waiting on mine from Marshalls in Grantham, due 20th told may not have before Christmas, when was yours due tahirs?
I ordered for January, they told me they'd deliver before xmas. They only received the car on Friday and haven't got a driver this week so I'm going up to Grantham on Thursday to pick it up
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 22:19   #68
262coupe

190 miles round trip today, mostly motorway but a bit of west London too average 31.6mpg so its getting better....... slowly! Love the engine though... plenty of pull from low revs makes it really drivable for such a big car. I'm genuinely very impressed especially considering I've come from the V8.
262coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 22:18   #69
wardpsych

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahirs View Post
I ordered for January, they told me they'd deliver before xmas. They only received the car on Friday and haven't got a driver this week so I'm going up to Grantham on Thursday to pick it up
Lucky you!
Marshalls told me that delivery is chaotic and that they don't think mine is coming in before Christmas...it will have to come in tomorrow which is unlikely given the backlog. Mine was due 20th december but they claim they have no control over what is delivered first, annoyed me by telling me some cars due in Jan have been delivered but mine hasn't!
wardpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 09:08   #70
Lycanthrope

I ordered two weeks ago and Volvo are quoting mid-April!!

Dealer says he's working on it...
Lycanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote