Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 900009

Replies : 6504

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2024, 19:38   #6101
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Pity about the Bentley, but you could have a nice trundle up to Pickering on one of your bikes early next week to kick the tyres of this, perhaps guided on the low side.... who knows ???

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction...pp=48&pn=2&g=1

MOT history is pretty amazing, since 2010 only one fail, and that was for horn not working.

Would perhaps fit in well, cruising the Skeggy Strip, with Bob riding shotgun

2 ways of looking at it, 1) Its a whole lot of motor for possibly not a whole heap of cash. Or 2) Its a whole lot of trouble, waiting to bite......

Cheers
Steve
Steve
That IS nice! Not sure if it's reddy-brown or browny-red but to me, that's a proper Rolls-Royce from what i like to call the "Golden Years of Motoring" (1970-1990) where the best cars were built without too many computers............

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 20:23   #6102
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That IS nice! Not sure if it's reddy-brown or browny-red but to me, that's a proper Rolls-Royce from what i like to call the "Golden Years of Motoring" (1970-1990) where the best cars were built without too many computers............
That does look a nice honest example. Lovely correct clean interior, bodywork looks straight, although it has had some paintwork done. The coachlines, don't look correct - they should be hand painted but look like they could be self adhesive. The wheel disc embellishers have been poorly painted and no coachlines on them - there should be double lines to match the body coachlines. Minor points, but does indicate caution as to what is under the shiny paint. I think the colour is most likely to be Regal Red - the standard brown was very much a definite brown. Big caution is the Citroen suspension/brakes. If all good a good buy, if not, a very expensive money pit. One that I would be happy to see on my drive.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 20:24   #6103
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
... but to me, that's a proper Rolls-Royce from what i like to call the "Golden Years of Motoring" (1970-1990) where the best cars were built without too many computers..........

And yet owners of the previous models didn't like the shape much and disparagingly called them "Rolls Cortinas"!

-------------------------
A great all-rounder
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 21:01   #6104
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
And yet owners of the previous models didn't like the shape much and disparagingly called them "Rolls Cortinas"!
Yes, absolutely. Up to the end of Silver Cloud production, the traditional Rolls market was old money. The Silver Shadow was aimed at new money - a completely different demographic. The '80's saw the rise of the Middle East market and Rolls did some very dubious things that would not have had approval previously.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 21:22   #6105
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
As i quite like the Cortinas (and Granadas of the same era) it might explain why i like it. For preference if i was buying one, it would be the later one, the mmodel name eludes me for a minute though but there was a Bentley Mulsanne in the same shape circa mid 80s.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 22:12   #6106
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Pity about the Bentley, but you could have a nice trundle up to Pickering on one of your bikes early next week to kick the tyres of this, perhaps guided on the low side.... who knows ???

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction...pp=48&pn=2&g=1

MOT history is pretty amazing, since 2010 only one fail, and that was for horn not working.

Would perhaps fit in well, cruising the Skeggy Strip, with Bob riding shotgun

2 ways of looking at it, 1) Its a whole lot of motor for possibly not a whole heap of cash. Or 2) Its a whole lot of trouble, waiting to bite......

Cheers
Steve
Steve
My word that would be a nice motor car for under 10 grand Steve.

We have had a similar discussion about garages and motor cars previously though - except last time you were building the garage and buying the car. Whilst that RR would fit the bill very well (very similar to a RR an uncle of mine bought newish in the 70s and my cousin still owns), but I really need to build that nice big garage in the garden before I acquire a 50s to 70s RR or Bentley.

Coolio though

Addendum: I found a photo of the RR my uncle (who sadly passed away last year) owned that my cousin sent me recently. I remember the RR well, uncle Eric must have bought it in about 1971 or 72, it was only a year or so old, immaculate and the nicest car I’d seen. My cousin keeps the RR as part of his collection, and still runs it on the road occasionally. Coolio .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0131.jpg (232.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Othen; Mar 14th, 2024 at 22:40.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 08:08   #6107
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
My word that would be a nice motor car for under 10 grand Steve.

We have had a similar discussion about garages and motor cars previously though - except last time you were building the garage and buying the car. Whilst that RR would fit the bill very well (very similar to a RR an uncle of mine bought newish in the 70s and my cousin still owns), but I really need to build that nice big garage in the garden before I acquire a 50s to 70s RR or Bentley.

Coolio though

Addendum: I found a photo of the RR my uncle (who sadly passed away last year) owned that my cousin sent me recently. I remember the RR well, uncle Eric must have bought it in about 1971 or 72, it was only a year or so old, immaculate and the nicest car I’d seen. My cousin keeps the RR as part of his collection, and still runs it on the road occasionally. Coolio .
That does look lovely! The Shadow1, with chrome bumpers, looks so much prettier than the Shadow 11 with rubber bumpers - very much like the MG B's. It being an early model it will have the 'chippendale' dash as opposed to the later 'knee roll' dash which was introduced to comply with american legislation. It is like sitting in a gentleman's club looking at Great Aunt Maud's walnut sideboard. Sorry Othen, I couldn't resist
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 09:21   #6108
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
That does look lovely! The Shadow1, with chrome bumpers, looks so much prettier than the Shadow 11 with rubber bumpers - very much like the MG B's. It being an early model it will have the 'chippendale' dash as opposed to the later 'knee roll' dash which was introduced to comply with american legislation. It is like sitting in a gentleman's club looking at Great Aunt Maud's walnut sideboard. Sorry Othen, I couldn't resist
That describes my memories of the RR (aged about 11 or 12 I suppose) when uncle Eric first bought it. Compared with all the cars I’d been in up to that point it was a revelation: smooth, quiet and oh so comfortable - as you say just like sitting in an Edwardian gentleman’s club - and indeed looking up at Great Aunt Maud’s walnut sideboard. I still remember that luxury motor car smell.

My son and I are planning a trip to visit my cousin in Hampshire this summer. It will be lovely to see the RR again, and the rest of my cousin’s collection of classic cars, trucks and gipsy caravans. Attached are a couple of photos from the collection.

Coolio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0067.jpg (298.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0078.jpg (150.7 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Othen; Mar 15th, 2024 at 09:25.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 11:06   #6109
ITSv40
VOC Member

Ooh, they are lovely.

The R-R is a 20hp model - distinguished by the horizontal radiator slats, all other models have vertical slats. The 20 hp was introduced as a town car to complement it's big brother the 40/50 hp Silver Ghost.
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 11:13   #6110
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Ooh, they are lovely.

The R-R is a 20hp model - distinguished by the horizontal radiator slats, all other models have vertical slats. The 20 hp was introduced as a town car to complement it's big brother the 40/50 hp Silver Ghost.
Would that be circa 1927 by any chance? I remember working on a 1927 Silver Ghost ~30 years ago and that looked very similar.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: