Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nokian WR Tyres and Average MPG.

Views : 18892

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2007, 15:35   #51
sfiente

Thanks for that Arianne, both you, Roy and Tem have been very informative.

It's been a struggle to try and get these Nokian tyres, I have been waiting 6 weeks so far for these to arrive at 1 of only a few local dealers that do business with the Nokian distributor. I did opt for the summer tyre, at £75.00 each I felt it was extremely reasonable. I noticed E tyres are still offering the winter tyre, however as I very rarely experience extreme weather conditions I thought I would be better off saving £30.00 per tyre.

After seeing what has been wrote about the Nokian winter tyre, im not sure if I have made the right choice, still as there not in stock it may be worth just ordering though E Tyres. I will give the tyre dealer another week.
sfiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 16:05   #52
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfiente View Post
Thanks for that Arianne, both you, Roy and Tem have been very informative.

It's been a struggle to try and get these Nokian tyres, I have been waiting 6 weeks so far for these to arrive at 1 of only a few local dealers that do business with the Nokian distributor. I did opt for the summer tyre, at £75.00 each I felt it was extremely reasonable. I noticed E tyres are still offering the winter tyre, however as I very rarely experience extreme weather conditions I thought I would be better off saving £30.00 per tyre.

After seeing what has been wrote about the Nokian winter tyre, im not sure if I have made the right choice, still as there not in stock it may be worth just ordering though E Tyres. I will give the tyre dealer another week.
My Vredstien Wintrac 4 Exreme's came after 3 days. I'm not sure if this company does the Nokians but take a look http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php

It cost £60 to have them fitted and balanced at tyre shop. I had the 4 wheeel lazer alignment at the same time and it certainly needed it.....cost another £60..... but well worth it.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 22:56   #53
Arianne
Premier Member

We cannot speak highly enough of MyTyres.com.

We've ordered a set of four Nokian NRVi summer tyres and they arrived within five days.

We had previously placed an order for the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tyres and they arrived on the same basis.

And even some Continental EcoContact summer tyres for our Peugeot 206 came in on time.

You can visit their website and then you can choose to place the order on-line or call their call centre.

The call centre is in Hannover, Germany. But they speak perfect English and they tell you straight away what their stock levels are and the delivery time.

Tyres arrive from a man in a white delivery van and, if you tell them to do so, they'll leave the tyres around the back of the house / inside your shed if you're not in when they call.

Delivery is free if you order two or more tyres. Prices are great.

And here's the good bit. For some strange reason, my Volvo dealer didn't charge for changing them or disposing of the old tyres - even though I have mentioned it to them.

Usually, you're looking at about £12 per corner for the local tyre fitter to do it. But be careful that they don't bust your lovely alloy wheels!

Use MyTyres.

Best wishes, Arianne.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 21:27   #54
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

I was looking at the S.A.M Steffansson web site Arianne and I see they do rims that take 255/55/18 tyres. They are used with 30mm wheel spacers to cope with the extra width. I checked the conversion size and they give the same diameter as the existing ones. The big advantage of this size is that it gives a massivly increased choice of tyres
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 21:29   #55
Arianne
Premier Member

Fair do's Roy.

I'll not go for that option because I'd worry about the space left behind the wheel and the running gear. It's in relation to the fitting of snow chains.

When space is short there is a risk that the chain starts catching the running gear. As speed increases the chains start to be thrown off the wheel due to centrifugal (incorrect spelling me thinks) force.

A complete nightmare on my previous car, Ford Galaxy. Needed microchain linkage and a low, low running speed restriction. Thankfully, the XC90 has, in standard tyre size setup, more tolerance.

Best wishes.

Arianne
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 21:46   #56
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Fair do's Roy.

I'll not go for that option because I'd worry about the space left behind the wheel and the running gear. It's in relation to the fitting of snow chains.

When space is short there is a risk that the chain starts catching the running gear. As speed increases the chains start to be thrown off the wheel due to centrifugal (incorrect spelling me thinks) force.

A complete nightmare on my previous car, Ford Galaxy. Needed microchain linkage and a low, low running speed restriction. Thankfully, the XC90 has, in standard tyre size setup, more tolerance.

Best wishes.

Arianne
Come in Arianne this is a Swedish accessory company. Spacers are supplied with the wheels that keeps the clearances the same, and I'll eat one of those tyres if you couldn't get chains to fit from them as well. 30mm wider tyres and with 30mm spacers on each wheel.

I have been thinking of just getting the spacers to give me a bit more leeway to clear those speed cushons we are getting everywhere in London. The XC90 is very good with it's wider track but an extra 60mm would be useful.

All the best.
Roy
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 15:16   #57
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
This was the link relating to the European (mm) market, but it does not work anymore.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:24   #58
GSMGuy
Master Member

I am resurrecting this thread, as I cannot seem to find either of the Nokians mentioned in 235/60/18

Tem, Nokian now only list the following on their site:

Z SUV
and
HT SUV

Looking to replace the tyres on the XC, and now despairing!

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 12:50   #59
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
I am resurrecting this thread, as I cannot seem to find either of the Nokians mentioned in 235/60/18

Tem, Nokian now only list the following on their site:

Z SUV
and
HT SUV

Looking to replace the tyres on the XC, and now despairing!

Mike
One can stiil get the Nokian WR's from www.mytyres.co.uk , looked the other day and they were around £127.60 including vat and delivery.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tem For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 16:06   #60
GSMGuy
Master Member

Cheers Tem - Are you on Wr's or WR G2's?

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote