Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My 122S

Views : 11193

Replies : 81

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2012, 02:13   #51
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Yer still a flippin' genius in my books, turbo or no.

(Okay, maybe a little obsessed with hp, but better that than lots of other things.)
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 17:46   #52
nonhog

Awesome build! I think about doing what your doing on my B20. I can't give it anything but thought until after the Mrs. 1980 Bertone is done.
Wondering about the turbo you have did you have to get special seals for it?
Carbon seals? Maybe thats old news?
Just curious.
(http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332836)
nonhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 18:48   #53
Rick269

Yes, the turbo has carbon seals and a steel impeller wheel instead of the original ceramic one.
Rick269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 07:54   #54
Rick269

Default Update

All the piping has been done now. We've just moved house so now the battle is to find the time to complete it.
Unfortunately, my HS8 SU will not fit easily so I am going to try it with the HS6 first.

All the pipes will be ceramic coated to minimise heat transfer between them. The factory one-piece intake/exhaust manifold design is not very good in that respect but I'm sure the coating will help.

I have been looking at this threaded hole, which I assume is for a bracket, and wondering whether I can drill it through to use it as my turbo drain point.

Does anyone know if this would exit in a favourable spot or am I better off drilling and tapping the timing cover or other spot?
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 16:19   #55
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

I can't tell from the pic what that is.
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 22:39   #56
Rick269

The threaded hole is just behind the front timing cover, at the bottom on the RH side of the engine.

EDIT: Just pulled off the timing cover. I'm going to drill and tap it for the return line instead. Looks like the easiest solution.

Last edited by Rick269; Apr 1st, 2012 at 01:10.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 08:42   #57
Rick269

Default It's Alive!!

Well, I managed to find the time to finish the install and with a jump start it fired up first go.

I have some minor issues though, mainly fuel related. Understandable as I have gone from two HS6 SU's to 1 and now it's turbocharged. Slightly off idle and up to around 2000rpm the dashpot chatters badly. I have tried some heavier weight oil which helped slightly, indicating it needs a much heavier spring. But it's not really drivable at the moment the way it is. If I gradually accelerate it's not too bad and it does pull quite well but at the same time does not get above 2psi boost on the gauge. If I give it a bit more accelerator, I get 5 psi but it is definitely starving for fuel. I really think I am going to have to do some more 'massaging' of the inner guard panel and fit the big HS8 and then maybe an electric fuel pump to help the factory one. I also have to fit an air filter somewhere in there, probably a pod out the front with a pipe going through the radiator support panel connecting to the SU.
Then I'll be fitting the water injection (I have fitted the injector nozzle in the centre of the intake manifold as a trial).
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rick269 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 17:33   #58
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

"Water injection"?????
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 18:17   #59
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Off the wall - Would you be able to interweave the other spring to have them in there together as a test? Add a ring of lead wire below or around the bottom of the spring to slow the lift down?
Looks avery neat install. Well done.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 09:50   #60
Rick269

I just had a play around with the HS8 and have managed to swap the fuel bowl to the other side. Had to modify the mixture and accelerator brackets but now it looks like it will fit without any massaging necessary. Hopefully this SU can be made workable as I think it will be more suited to this engine than the HS6.

I'll give it a clean out tomorrow and see if it runs.

Quote:
"Water injection"?????
The water injection will use a 200psi Coolingmist pump and single injector. I'm going to control it with the Megajolt output to work on boost and load, hoping it will help curb detonation.

Last edited by Rick269; Apr 16th, 2012 at 09:54.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick269 For This Useful Post: