Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ATF Fluid - which one?

Views : 16439

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2008, 20:08   #51
R2BOS

what he said. That fluid textron, on all the searches i did shows up as dexron type fluid which i must yet again say is no good for these gearboxes at all. It may work it may not but it's basic make up is incorrect and does not allow the gearbox to work as it is supposed to do.

3309 spec fluid or nothing as far as I am concerned the Vauxhall stuff you got is a bargin and as it is used in the new astra with the same gearbox as a geartronic volvo more power to your elbow.

Do you have the specific part number as I ended up losing my temper with the local vauxhall dealer who's effort to look ended when i couldn't give him a chassis number.
R2BOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 21:03   #52
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

93160393 is what I've got. I was a bit nervous when ordering it because nowhere on the one bottle they had in stock does it say 3309. Thankfully, when the box of 12L arrived, it had in big letters "Opel 3309 ATF" on the box itself, safe then!

Also, if you ask for the same ATF as for the 5 speed Vectra-C Auto, they should be able to confirm the part number.

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 21:13   #53
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

Just a little tip to add to all the excellent advice on the net, when using the Gibbons method to pump the old ATF out, ensure your tubing allows the ATF to drain freely downwards without getting stuck on the way down. That way, it's easier to measure exactly how much has been pumped out and replace it with the exact same amount back in.
I initially draped my tubing over the bonnet edge and some fluid got stuck in the tubes, so I was unsure about how much had come out at first.

Contrary to what I've read elsewhere, if you run the engine for 25 seconds and move the gear selector through its positions, on mine I got exactly 1.5 litres out each time. Most people seemed to get 2L or so, but mine was consistently 1.5L.

I also found Halfords extra long funnel was perfect for reaching the filler dipstick and was a neat fit too!

Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 00:10   #54
cosmograph

Great thread. I picked up on this comment

Quote:
Don't panic; I take it back;
The AW box doesn't have a filter just a screen that by all accounts in neigh impossible to get at. I am now scratching my head and wondering how on earth the particles inside the box are removed from the oil to stop the enevitable wear that would of course result from having such an abrasive in suspension?
Would appreciate being enlightened on this one or (I suspect) is this a question I shouldn't really have asked!
I believe the answer to this was provided unintentionally in an earlier post.

Quote:
Also when I took the sump plug out, I noticed only what could be described as an amount of thick grease on it (dark grey in colour), which I can only assume was very fine metal particles - which was a bit of a shock.
Most auto boxes have either a magnetic sump plug to attract the particles or a magnet placed on the sump pan. The deposits appear as a thick silver grease.
cosmograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 21:06   #55
R2BOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmograph View Post
Great thread. I picked up on this comment

I believe the answer to this was provided unintentionally in an earlier post.

Most auto boxes have either a magnetic sump plug to attract the particles or a magnet placed on the sump pan. The deposits appear as a thick silver grease.
The atf fluid is a huge job. think coupe cam belt

Leedscoupe here.

Any bits are meant to be there and its probable a mixture of burnt down oil and the friction plates this type of atf box has inside. I don't think the plug is magnetic but it is at the bottom of the sump so it accumulates there.
R2BOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 10:13   #56
wg53

After a couple of thousand miles since doing the change ATF fluid change, this has to be far and away the biggest improvement on the car for the money - gearchange so much smoother, especially when cold (my car only has 80K on it BTW). I would totally recommend the change (as long as they get the correct fluid - see earlier comments)

Ref the job being huge, figure about 1.5 hrs and yes the sump plug is sort of hollowed out to help collect what ever it was I found in the sump plug - it was a like thick grease, silvery grey in colour.

Regards Rich
wg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 12:52   #57
polecat

Hello all
Im new to the volvo forums

Maybe some of you think I should not be on here as I don't have a volvo, I have a Renault, I have been looking at gettiing a s40 or s60 volvo, "honest"

But it's the Renault I need help with, it's a laguna II v6 52 reg with the auto tipronic box, it's the autobox that is giving me problems, it is the aisin warner
55-50sn, Renault call it the su1 002, I belive it is the same box that is used in some of the volvo geartronic cars s40 s60 etc.

The box is giving me the occasional lumpy very harsh change on the down change from 3rd to 2nd, when cold the change seems to be ok for the first mile, I get the harsh change as the car is warming up (not hot) its as if you have hit a big pothole it doe's this every time in the warm-up stage, it has done this a few time's when engine is hot not often & not as harsh but still lumpy, all the up changes are ok, some of the other gear down changes are a tad lumpy but nowhere near as harsh a 3rd to 2nd.
I have checked the atf level and it's fine, the fluid is light brown and doesn't smell burnt.
I was wondering if a complete flush of the atf would cure it, Renault recommend an atf called clip utility oil for the su1 box, never heard of it myself, I suppose it's made by elf but it's over £15 a litre.
When I first got the car I got a 2ltr bottle of atf from the local Renault dealer, but they sold me the Renaultmatic D3 synthetic it say's on the bottle formulated for the DPO transmissions, I guess this is the wrong stuff?

I see on some of the posts about the geartronic boxes you have been using an atf made by mobil I think its 3309 spec ( I could be wrong).
I have also heard good reports of an atf additive called lubegard, anybody used it?

What I am asking is do you think this mobil atf would be ok to use, doe's it sound like a fluid problem or maybe the valve block prob.
Cheers Polecat
polecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 16:20   #58
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

That news, I didn't know Renault also used this box. Are you sure it's an AW55-50?

Did you put any of the D3 fluid in? If so, that may be causing your problems and damage may have been caused already.

Lots of people here have used branded oils from Vauxhall/Saab, Toyota and Mobil, all conforming to JWS 3309. Around £8 a litre for Opel branded stuff, £17 for Volvo branded stuff, so few use the Volvo one!

I would be surprised if Renault don't sell this stuff too, also at a reasonable price, try another parts dept and see what they say?

A full flush takes a minimum of 12L really, and about 2-6 hours of your time, depending on how handy you are with cars.

I wouldn't bother with any additives either, there should be no need for them. The oil is specially formulated for its purpose anyway.

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 20:02   #59
polecat

Thanks for the reply oilburner.
Yep that is what is stamped on the box on a metal plate, AISIN AW Co LTD
55-50sn SU1 002

I rang the mobil distributor cos you can't get the stuff in the local motor factor stores, they said yes we can supply that its supplied to toyota and is down as factory fill on the data sheet we have, they said, min order will be a 200 litre drum £1300 , thanks I said but I dont need quite that much.

I will give the toyota dealer a ring see how much type 1V atf is.
seen it on the partsforsaabs.com site for just over £5 a litre don't know if its the same stuff you would get from the parts dept at saab but it's 3309 spec.

As for the Renault dealer I don't think they know what fluid to use in the box as they said the D3 would be fine, and no I have not put any in the box its still sealed in the container, and I am not paying over £30 for a 2 litre bottle of this clip oil they recommend either.
The car went in to the dealer a year back for the jerky change and they replaced the B4 piston seal in the box, so god knows what fluid they have topped it up with, there was a slight improvement after they had done this and I do mean slight.
Over in the states they seem to be able to get the mobil 3309 cheap an easy enough in most autoshops.
As for the lubegard reading through many forums, its the only one one that saab & toyota recommend as well as a lot of auto transmission shops so it must be ok, just wondered if anyone on here had used it.
polecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 08:07   #60
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

200 litre drum! LOL!

If the partsforsaabs says 3309 spec, then it should be. Seems like a safe bet.