Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide to replace rear brakes on S60/V70

Views : 59898

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2013, 13:33   #51
Marmitespreader
Master Member

Correct.
If you have trouble pulling rear discs off, then you may need to slacken the handbrake cable adjusted, which sits under the delicate handbrake gaiter.
Good advice from Brendan, if the shoes have been on a while, or you have no knowledge of their last replacement time, while everything is off, it would be wise to replace shoes
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 13:34   #52
Brendan W
Premier Member

You can expect any of the following;
Shoe material vanished.
Liner(s) fully detached and lying in the drum.
Partial delamination - might be only a little bit of daylight at the end of one of the liners and might not be visible until the shoes are in your hand as in my case.
Head of one of the dust plate screws fallen off - rare but has happened at least twice to my knowledge.
If you've gone to the trouble of removing the disc I would change the shoes as a matter of course irrespective of apparent condition.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 15:06   #53
Neil_

One thing I wished I had done the first time I attacked my shoes was fit the adjustable bar that volvo sell. After changing the discs, pads and shoes my handbrake was worse than before and I ended up stripping it all down twice and then fitting the adjustment bar to get it right. Fitting them at the start would have saved a lot of frustration.

Not quite sure why it went quite so wrong for me. One thing I didn't use was genuine parts (yes, I know....)

There are a few posts kicking around about the adjusters. One's like this:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...brake+adjuster
Neil_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 17:10   #54
mikealder
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
In the picture following section 9 showing the new disc in situ what is the purpose of the nut head that appears at the bottom of the disc.
That bolt you mention has a 10MM head when you remove it the disk will be unbolted from the hub, the bolt secures the disk/ drum to the hub and needs to be removed to release the disk/ drum - Should be much easier task to complete when you take the bolt out - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 09:08   #55
v70stu
V60 T6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_ View Post
One thing I wished I had done the first time I attacked my shoes was fit the adjustable bar that volvo sell. After changing the discs, pads and shoes my handbrake was worse than before and I ended up stripping it all down twice and then fitting the adjustment bar to get it right. Fitting them at the start would have saved a lot of frustration.

Not quite sure why it went quite so wrong for me. One thing I didn't use was genuine parts (yes, I know....)

There are a few posts kicking around about the adjusters. One's like this:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...brake+adjuster
This sounds like the problem I now have since replaceing discs, pads and handbrake shoes two weeks ago. Very little grab from the handbrake. Adjustment makes little difference. I have the original H shaped bars in place. Is it likely the other type of adjuster is needed.
Going to be a right pain to strip it all back again. Grrr!

More to the point, why is it after replacing the shoes the bloody handbrake is worse? The link refers to them being much much worse. What causes it? I like to know these things!

Last edited by v70stu; Jun 24th, 2013 at 09:12.
v70stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 19:39   #56
taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Mo,

Looks like you were a little busy. One question though, since doing the work does you car still move slightly on the handbrake on an incline ?

Reason I ask is because my car did it from when I bought it at two years old and like many on here accepted it as normal behaviour. Since having the discs, pads, handbrake shoes and backing plates replaced there is no movement on the handbrake, it now behaves and feels like the normal handbrake in any other car.

Would be interested in how yours behaves now you've pretty much done the same as listed above.

Cheers,
Mine still does The American Parking Mode whenever I apply the handbrake, even after I changed the disc's, pads, shoe backing plate springs & shoe's themselves. It did stop the roll-back for the first few days, but then we got back into the old routine n rolled back after being applied. Ah-well, ho-hum!
taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 14:14   #57
reesky

Did my whole rear lot today, shoes,pads, discs.. get a slight scraping sound when the wheels turned no matter how much adjusting i do to handbrake, shoes, etc.

Any ideas? Is this normal? the wheel freely turns, just makes a scrapign sound. it's not the bearing.

reesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 17:38   #58
kenny37

Back plate to close? possibly a stone stuck in for good measure?
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 20:58   #59
Felippe

Default Is this issue limited to the original Volvo shoes?

Is this only related to the original Volvo-fitted shoes going bad or has anyone had once replaced shoes go bad (e.g. mintex...)?

I just bought an S60 and the previous owner changed shoes after getting stuck reversing of his drive. This was 2 years (20,000 miles) ago. How likely am I to suffer delaminating shoes?

Thanks for great job writing up these instructions! Keep up the good work guys!
Felippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 08:43   #60
Brendan W
Premier Member

Warning : this is my opinion.
I don't believe the original Volvo shoes are any better or worse than the reputable aftermarket brands like Mintex . I have fitted QH
My personal inspection/replacement time is arbitrarirly set by me at four years.
I believe the main problem with these shoes is that they are not a service brake and never bed in fully to match the drum and they do not sweep the drum of corrosion. The upshot is you have to pull harder to get the same brake effort. Some drivers will pull unmercifully and bend the shoes initiating delamination. Others carefully apply a bit of handbrake on the move every now and then to keep the drum clean and bed the shoes in and they will have better brake effort and need less pulling up of the lever.
You are not very likely to suffer delamination. It is a relatively uncommon event and I would say in my opinion you are ok for another two years.
If however you one morning notice the handbrake sticking on, especially reversing, or the lever traveling higher than usual or a suspicious clunk from back there it would be wise to have the discs off for an inspection
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post: