Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New d4 economy?

Views : 15038

Replies : 173

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2015, 15:22   #51
CDJ

Default The problem is...

Engage reverse...

Handbrake off...

Reverse gently out of driveway...

Into Sport mode in the Geartronic...

Calmly warm things up stretching the legs strolling out of the 20mph/30mph/40mph urban area...

And then let rip 181 horses along the dual carriageway...

Means the mpg struggles to get above 40...

Can anyone advise where I can purchase a bottle of self-control?
CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CDJ For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 16:00   #52
Flux
Premier Member

You will after time - just need to get it out of your system beforehand. I only ever use the sport mode for attacking lorries and buses (and the odd dodderer). If you have sport on all the time that might be why you never get over 40
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 16:09   #53
Bongobobby

On my S60 there's two different tyre pressures marked on the sticker on the driver's side B column, 33psi and an 'Eco' setting of 38psi. I've inflated mine to that to see if it makes much difference.

The bar chart today, again, definitely seemed to like keeping the car at about 70mph, rather than 60
Bongobobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 16:17   #54
swishtony
Master Member

Wow, on my drive to Tignes on Saturday I averaged 33mpg. Pretty poor I think but then again we had a full car, skis, ski boots and a roof box. Still thought I would get better than 33 on such a long motorway trip.
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 17:32   #55
Considered1
Premier Member

I do find this the most un aerodynamic car I have owned. What tyre pressures were you running Swish?
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 20:06   #56
swishtony
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
I do find this the most un aerodynamic car I have owned. What tyre pressures were you running Swish?
38 all round. Was recommended by a few on here. More I think about it the more disappointed I am in that mileage. Incidentally I turned Eco+ on for most of the trip!

I'm driving from London to Zurich in a few months on summer tyres and in an empty car, better give me better figures on that trip or I'll be well upset!
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 20:19   #57
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swishtony View Post
38 all round. Was recommended by a few on here. More I think about it the more disappointed I am in that mileage. Incidentally I turned Eco+ on for most of the trip!

I'm driving from London to Zurich in a few months on summer tyres and in an empty car, better give me better figures on that trip or I'll be well upset!
Roof rack bars lost about 3 mpg on my 940 TD.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Jan 11th, 2015 at 20:22.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 20:41   #58
Flux
Premier Member

Quote:
Wow, on my drive to Tignes on Saturday I averaged 33mpg. Pretty poor I think but then again we had a full car, skis, ski boots and a roof box. Still thought I would get better than 33 on such a long motorway trip.
Yikes! I would have expected better stats than that given a long motorway journey. Don't think I've ever been that low even is stop start traffic and local pootling.

Weight, wind and roof box set to conspire against you I guess but its all down hill on the way home so lets hope it's better on the homeward leg!

Making me jealous - I did a couple of ski seasons in the early 90's in Val D'Isere and its a great place to ski. Best get my kids to the snow dome this year so we can all go next year. Bon ski and if there's some fresh snow get to La Fornet for the the first lift and do some powder through the trees - fresh powder through the trees is better than sex....

Last edited by Flux; Jan 11th, 2015 at 20:46.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flux For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 21:42   #59
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Not massively surprised. I think out was about 38mpg for us......& coming back down from Les Arcs last night we averaged 43 on the 400km to Dijon last night.....but from Dijon to home (about 550 miles) was about the same as you...a VERY full car (no roof box here!), but the horizontal wind socks (& mild buffeting) told me we were battling a headwind practically all the way home today!

Hope you have as good a week as we just did! The snow was turning to slush for us yesterday, but Tignes is not Les Arcs, & I am sure there will be some fresh falls this week!

Top tip (stolen from someone here!) was to add a single track to the root of your folders (for those with the hard disk)....then play that track, press shuffle and it will shuffle all your music, not just an album. Worked a treat on our ~850 miles trek each way!!
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 06:52   #60
swishtony
Master Member

So if these motorway trips are only getting these sort of figures I'm struggling to see how people are averaging in the 40's?

Feeling a little disappointed really, thought this new engine was supposed to be super efficient. I've seen no signs of it so far!

Mike, had a few inches of snow yesterday which didn't get bashed so was lovely on piste conditions. Sunny today then snow forecast next few days. Locals are saying there might be a metre falling on Thursday!

Flux, yes I love the whole Espace Killy, next year we are staying in a brand new chalet in La Fornet. Already excited about it lol!