Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Whooooosh when let throttle

Views : 7865

Replies : 88

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 18:56   #51
passenger
Master Member

I did, nothing changed

Today I read a lil bit about problem. So turbo like mine has no blow off valve, so if actuator is jammed or vanes are jammed, he is sending air back to air filter housing (like mine case).

What I can do:

- in VIDA to find how to move actuator and see what's happening. Electronic is okay, otherwise would be error about actuator itself.

- if I hear actuator motor running but no moving, can be that gears in actuator are broken (or what ever is moving that) or vanes are jammed. I dont know how to unjammed vanes.

Thanks for effort. I appreciate it.
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 19:05   #52
passenger
Master Member

I cannot wait. I'm taking wife and baby to listen under the bonnet while I'm doing on VIDA.
I will write back
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 19:11   #53
hal9000f

Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger View Post
I dont know how to unjammed vanes.

Thanks for effort. I appreciate it.

You seem like you are capable of doing a lot of difficult work yourself and one would be very happy that you succeed :-)

Try googlin this for vanes:

how to unstick turbo vanes volvo

(or any other car maybe)

But, who knows if you can do some damage when trying that :-(
hal9000f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 19:57   #54
bananarama

Cleaning out the vanes probably means removing the turbo and giving it a clean OR a new turbo.

In case it helps, I found this video really useful. I used to have a Golf TDI which had vacuum operated vanes instead of electronically.

Good luck man!
bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 20:11   #55
Baffler
Premier Member

I'll go back to my original point in relation to the intercooler...have you had it pressure tested to determine if it's damaged or not?

If it is the original part it is now at 15 years so, given its location, has been through a lot of conditions in that time and may very well be the root cause of your issue.

VIDA will not diagnose a damaged intercooler but will pick up on every sensor along the charged air route...including the turbo.

In your earlier video it was clearly boosting, which eliminates the turbo, but it is that pressure release that is of concern. Where is that pressure being released from?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 20:40   #56
passenger
Master Member

Not a option by me. I dont have conditions for that, seems turbo iz behind and I need autolift for some time to do it (for post about removing turbo.

So in corner again but step closer:

First of all, I put down my hand searching for anything loose and of course hose clamp from turbo is completely loose. I'm spinning clamp around hose. Thanks mech for that. I didn't thing it now, because it's pig job and also I have plan to remove it on weekend and to see what is behind and how dirty.
Loose clamp is for sure not problem here, but maybe caused, dont know, I'm cheese curing robots mech, not car mech lol

VIDA says it's done without hearing or without moving rhat connection link. Strange. For example, I did adaptation of swirl flaps stepmotor and clearly it's moving

After I gave push with finger I a little bit while doing adaptation, Some bzzzz noise came. Then 2-3x no connection with motor (no errors tho) , then again doing normal adaptation (again without moving parts)

Then I drove and same whooooooshhhhhhh sound after letting throttle and not having full boost.

Here is graphic

And just standing car without starting it, position should be 0 or 100??

I wish I can trust those chemie and clean turbo. Dont know what next.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by passenger; Mar 23rd, 2023 at 20:59.
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 20:57   #57
passenger
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
I'll go back to my original point in relation to the intercooler...have you had it pressure tested to determine if it's damaged or not?

If it is the original part it is now at 15 years so, given its location, has been through a lot of conditions in that time and may very well be the root cause of your issue.

VIDA will not diagnose a damaged intercooler but will pick up on every sensor along the charged air route...including the turbo.

In your earlier video it was clearly boosting, which eliminates the turbo, but it is that pressure release that is of concern. Where is that pressure being released from?
No, I didn't check IC, dont have equipment for that. What I can do is remove bumper and remove IC and give a look. It will cost me 2-3h probably. But would be some sound if IC is leaking?

Yes, it's boosting but now a lil bit less, causing car shaking a lil bit and hesitation in acceleration.

Well as I read a little bit about it: if actuator is not working, boost is going back to air filter housing like mine case.
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 22:19   #58
hal9000f

Quote:
I wish I can trust those chemie and clean turbo. Dont know what next.

Any suggestions?

Found this with your error ECM P023484, and google translated it. The problem was the actuator:

https://www.volvov70forum.com/noodlo...ik-t21234.html

Good luck.
hal9000f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 06:49   #59
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
No, I didn't check IC, dont have equipment for that. What I can do is remove bumper and remove IC and give a look. It will cost me 2-3h probably. But would be some sound if IC is leaking?
The intercooler can be pressure tested in situ by removing the boost/charge hoses, blanking off one end and fitting a cap with a built in valve on the other end and then applying pressure with a suitable pump with guage.

Quote:
Yes, it's boosting but now a lil bit less, causing car shaking a lil bit and hesitation in acceleration.
The hesitation may be caused by the loose fresh air pipe clamp allowing unmetered air (MAF sensor can't correctly monitor flow) to be drawn into the turbo/engine. Tighten up that clamp as your next step.

Quote:
Well as I read a little bit about it: if actuator is not working, boost is going back to air filter housing like mine case.
Ok...I wasn't aware of this...I've never owned a D5.

I think I may have read something on how to free out sticking VNT vanes...will have a search.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 16:04   #60
passenger
Master Member

Tomorrow I will bring car home. Today I took company's car. And on weekend I will try to remove actuator and try to move vanos or how it that name. If is free moving, I will order actuator. If it's stick, then I will order new turbo or remove that and cleane it. But need to pay that, cause apperantly bevel gear need to be removed. Jesus Christ, I will buy Mazda 6 2.0 petrol 2016-17 year. Dont have time for this kind of shyit

Thanks all for suggesting. I will writebback as soon I know more. And yes, I will tight that clamp vefore I drive tomorrow