Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EGR blank

Views : 22636

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2012, 20:04   #51
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Just done my best MPG over 280 miles from Devon to Liverpool, 62.4. Average speed for the trip was 66 MPH. Previous best for the trip was 60.8, no idea what the average speed for that one was but think it was a bit slower as it was the night of the M5 crash, oh and was going the other way which always seems to use less fuel too...

Obviously can't say it's down to the EGR but looks promising so far, mind you, lots of short trips round hilly devon doesn't do much for my overall stats, over 150 miles it averaged 38.8 MPG down there.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 20:11   #52
EricMe
V50 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Just done my best MPG over 280 miles from Devon to Liverpool, 62.4. Average speed for the trip was 66 MPH. Previous best for the trip was 60.8, no idea what the average speed for that one was but think it was a bit slower as it was the night of the M5 crash, oh and was going the other way which always seems to use less fuel too...

Obviously can't say it's down to the EGR but looks promising so far, mind you, lots of short trips round hilly devon doesn't do much for my overall stats, over 150 miles it averaged 38.8 MPG down there.
A week today I'll be going down to Southampton; back end of week. Hope I'll have a similar tale to tell.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 10:03   #53
EricMe
V50 Driver

I've now done around 1500 miles since fitting the blanking plate.

Afraid it's not the outstanding success I'd hoped although there does seem a moderate improvement in mpg

I have had a few motorway trips at 60+ mpg but that's really only happened when I've been keeping down around 60mph. After 50 miles or so when I've got bored with that, mpg has dropped to low 50s.

Overall fuel consumption (brim to brim) from Mansfield to Southampton was 49.95mpg this week compared with a nearly identical trip in September at 43.4. But improvement isn't really that good as I'd been keeping speed down for part of latest journey.

Coming home in Sept was at a real 45.2mpg (onboard comp agreed pretty well at 45.0) whereas this week was an indicated 49.5 (no real fig available). That probably is a 'fairer comparison' so I could be looking at a 10% improvement although there are no doubt all sorts of 'special factors' at work which I haven't noticed.

For a thorough test, I really ought to take the blank out and do the same trip again with similar levels of monitoring but afraid I won't be doing that .

Bear in mind that I haven't blanked the valve off completely - just simulated the maximum acceptable (to emu) level of blockage by using a blank with holes drilled in it. For older cars where the valve can be completely blanked off I'd expect even better results.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 12:37   #54
v40bart
Master Member

By the physics of it you were bound to see some kind of improvement as part of inert gases was blocked and replaced with oxygenated charge so some of the fuel that usually ended up as soot coming out of the back was turned into power. Mother Earth hates you...
Old May 11th, 2014, 15:21   #55
faffi
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomS40 View Post
Hello all,

I ordered my ERG blank the other day and got round to fitting it today. I also had the same system message on the computer. Car sounds and runs fine with the blank in. I then took a little drive down to my local Volvo dealers where a friend of mine works to ask his advice and here is what he says....

'Blanking the EGR wont do any damage to the engine, all you may get is a smell from the engine and very bad emissions. Unless the EGR was playing up I wouldn't block it even if it does improve the engine and supposed turbo spool'.

I then asked his personal opinion and what would he do?

'Personally I would remove the blanking plate, other than stopping the EGR from getting clogged up there isn't really and benefits from having it blanked off, after all at the end of the day the engine was configured to work with the EGR and re-burn the fuel when it passed through the EGR and back into the cylinders'.

All in all I done about 3 miles with the blank plate in and I cant say there was any difference what so ever and then went about removing the plate and the system message then went back to normal but some may not have that luck and need it resetting (at a cost).
Bringing back an old topic here.

My D2 has been running erratic since I bought it new. Various new softwares have changed the behaviour, but never cured it.

Yesterday, I met a Ford/Mazda mechanic who said my issues (stumbling, slow throttle response, worse when cold etc.) was a typical sign of the EGR messing up things and recommended I ask my Volvo dealer if it could be blocked or bypassed.

Anybody know if this is possible with my early D2 and what it will take?
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 12:59   #56
VenomS40
08 Volvo S40 SE Sport R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by faffi View Post
Bringing back an old topic here.

My D2 has been running erratic since I bought it new. Various new softwares have changed the behaviour, but never cured it.

Yesterday, I met a Ford/Mazda mechanic who said my issues (stumbling, slow throttle response, worse when cold etc.) was a typical sign of the EGR messing up things and recommended I ask my Volvo dealer if it could be blocked or bypassed.

Anybody know if this is possible with my early D2 and what it will take?
I wouldn't think a main dealer would bypass this as it would then take the engine outside of the specs. My advice is that since this post was first started there is now a trader on here that can delete the EGR and remove it from the software so you shouldn't get any error messages up on the screen like I did.

Volvo S40 SE Sport R-Design + Winter Pack
VenomS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 23:18   #57
faffi
Motorcyclist

Thanks! Would that service be available in Norway as well?
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 12:51   #58
VenomS40
08 Volvo S40 SE Sport R-D

You would have to shop around out there sorry mate, but cant see why not?

Volvo S40 SE Sport R-Design + Winter Pack
VenomS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 11:08   #59
joeyyule313

Default Potential EGR issue?

Hi i have a Euro 3 2008 C30 2.0D (with no DPF) with a weird problem. The only way i can describe it is it judders on the over-run. if i go along at 70mph, let my foot off the gas it judders slightly. its a new fault. no codes are showing up on the OBD2. could this be a clogged EGR?

my first thought was accelorator potentiometer but it only does it inbetween accelerating and the over-run. sometimes cruize control will make it judder if i set it high and it goes too fast.

Any idea? i might blank off the EGR anyway just to see

It currently has new:
Driveshafts (both)
track rods
lower control arms
ARB bushes
tyres (and balanced)
joeyyule313 is offline   Reply With Quote