Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery problem?

Views : 49696

Replies : 126

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2011, 17:59   #51
scotgc

No software upgrade but I will enquire further during the first service due next week. Will update the thread after service completed.
scotgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 18:29   #52
elch77

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgc View Post
No software upgrade but I will enquire further during the first service due next week. Will update the thread after service completed.
Thank you! Can't wait to hear from you.
elch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 12:04   #53
leema022

Angry 3 times Flat battery in 600 km..

My XC60 with only 600km on the clock hasnt started 3 times....
Yesterday after jumpstarting it...I drove it for an hour. This morning again it wouldnt start...help!
My battery is flat for no reasons...nothing left on.

I will have the car in the Volvo workshop next week.
You guys have any solutions to solve the problem? I read about faulty batteries/software issues/alternator problems..mm

When the car drives it is great to drive...but the reliability so far poor...
leema022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 20:47   #54
elch77

Hi leema022,

What can you tell us about the usage of things like bluetooth, iPod etc.? Did you use it before parking the car? Any special configuration of your car (car alarm)?

Please let us know what the guys from the Volvo workshop say or do?

elch77
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 22:25   #55
husky125

This happened to me a few weeks ago after the car was left for 7 days after a 60 mile round trip. No power to even open the doors, so used key, called the volvo assistance number to find they no longer use the RAC, but was redirected to the correct people. They jump started the car and all started and ran ok, the only thing they found on was the radio. I had tried the usb port in the week and left the radio on, but thought that removing the key and locking would turn all the power off!
Dealer cannot help as lack of power would bring up masses of error codes, "could I keep an eye on it."
After all the other problems decided to write to Volvo, but although they sent some vouchers, they had no answer to the problem.
The car does 500 mile round trips at least once a month and is not used for short journeys. Will request at the yearly service they check the radio is not taking power when it should not be.
Car is 2010 D5 manual SE Lux Premium 13.000 miles.
husky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:44   #56
elch77

In a German Volvo forum a so called TechnicalJournal (TJ23515) is mentioned to solve the problem. I don't know anything in detail, but maybe somebody affected here can check with his/her Volvo workshop? It was launched in CW32 2010. In case of new cars like leema022's it should be already implemented. So I don't if it's the correct bug fix for these kinds of battery problems.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 15:37   #57
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Does anyone with the problem have a multimeter? It would be really useful to know what the rate of battery drain is when all stopped.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 19:24   #58
gordongreenman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afirmo View Post
I just received the answer from Volvo Customer Support:

When you start a car, it needs a lot of energy from the battery. Not only to start the car but also for al the other electrical units in the car like radio, running ligths, navigation system, electrical heatings and ventilation systems, carkits, securitysystems, etc.
If you don't drive your car on regular base, the battery will lose capacity very quickly, not only in the winter period but also in warmer periods.
Driving less kilometers and short distances is mortal for a battery. A battery needs the chance to charge itself. This can only be done by driving enough and making longer trips.
If not the battery will never charge completely and you willl always face starting problems. This is nothing new, it has always been like that.
With the winter period coming, especially in freezing temperatures, the battery of a car can loose 50% of its capacity. If then the battery is not charged well, there is not much energy left to start the car.
So in a certain way it is true when your dealer says that you drive not enough with the car. Maybay they didn't express themselves properly.
It seems that your dealer did some tests with the battery and at that time they didn't find anything.

They are asking me to go to the dealer in order to check again the battery but surely they will find nothing and will say the same.
I appreciate your comments very much.
I too had this problem of the battery being flat after being abroad for 11 days.The dealer checked the battery and according to them it is OK. I double checked this with an independent garage and it is true. I have a 2010 XC60 R design D5 geartronic. The dealer told me that as the car had only been used for short journeys that battery had never reached full charge from new, and so with the toys onboard had depleted the battery to the stage of not being able to start the car. This is strange as I also have a CRV that has been left to stand for up to a month and fired up first time after 11 years of short trips.
Regards,
Gordon Greenman
gordongreenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 19:26   #59
gordongreenman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Does anyone with the problem have a multimeter? It would be really useful to know what the rate of battery drain is when all stopped.
0.9 amps
gordongreenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 21:07   #60
rkennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordongreenman View Post
0.9 amps
That's a heck of current draw for a car that is switched off - it should be in milliamps draw, not almost 1 amp. Did you allow 15 minutes after switching off and removing the key? It takes this length of time for everything to shut down - it also is a good feature in that if you inadvertantly leave something switched on when leaving the car it will switch off after the 15 minute time period.
If you confirm that you waited the relevant time before checking the current draw, you definately have something in the car that is not switching off. A way of finding out is to remove the fuses one by one until you find the one that stops the current draw.
rkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote