Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing display from mph to kph

Views : 16332

Replies : 94

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2015, 17:06   #51
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I wonder if the people on mainland Europe are getting all het up wanting to change their dial from KPH to MPH

As I have said before, never caused me (or my colleagues) any issue when I lived on the continent for many years as we all knew the crucial numbers in mph and kph, and those conversions are still valid now.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 17:47   #52
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
But we are part of Europe and it's reasonable to expect to be able to display units used in Europe wherever we drive regardless of which numeric system is used. The display can be set to any language so why not full implementation of Kph and Mph? Volvo auto adjust the lights for LHD & RHD so why not the speedo?
Indeed it is daft. In the other thread about this same issue,the latest non TFT display CAN be changed to read KPH or MPH in big in the centre of the speedo, although the active TFT cannot. Now to me that is doubly daft!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 17:48   #53
Pandamedic
Master Member

If you stick with speed limits we use for town, single carriage way and then motorways you can't go to wrong. Not had any issues with that way, although it'd be nice to use KPH if you could.

Anyway.

Town 50kph (31mph)
Open Road 90kph (55mph)
Motorway 110-130kph depending on the weather, but if you go for the lower 110kph thats 68mph which does my economy just fine.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 17:59   #54
FrootleBootle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamedic View Post
If you stick with speed limits we use for town, single carriage way and then motorways you can't go to wrong. Not had any issues with that way, although it'd be nice to use KPH if you could.

Anyway.

Town 50kph (31mph)
Open Road 90kph (55mph)
Motorway 110-130kph depending on the weather, but if you go for the lower 110kph thats 68mph which does my economy just fine.
It kind of depends where you are. I think that the above are correct for France but the max speed on the motorways in Belgium is 120 and I think that it's as low as 110 in the Netherlands. Of course Germany is a different kettle of fish, but it's only unrestricted on the autobahns in certain areas.
FrootleBootle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 18:45   #55
Pandamedic
Master Member

I'm off to France and Belgium again this year and will just stick to 65mph on cruise which is just below the 110kph, so know i'm good for both and for when it rains in France.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 19:21   #56
tem
Premier Member

There is an option on my V60, selected with the left stalk, that allows me to have mph or kph displayed digitally.
Surely, all recent Volvo's must have this option?

tem.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 19:33   #57
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
There is an option on my V60, selected with the left stalk, that allows me to have mph or kph displayed digitally.
Surely, all recent Volvo's must have this option?

tem.
Yours will be the non TFT display. The one I have been talking about where indeed pressing the OK button on the left stalk a couple of times alters the large digital central MPH speedo readout to KPH.

Regards

Edit: Pictures - KPH on centre speedo here (non tft) KPH in right hand corner here (tft)

Last edited by volvorocks; Jun 25th, 2015 at 19:41.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 13:11   #58
DieselElectric

Stupid question, but with the TFT display, what happens when you are on the continent with a UK car and you pass a speed sign? Does it automatically convert from kmph to mph when it puts the little red marker on the speedo?
DieselElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 13:29   #59
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselElectric View Post
Stupid question, but with the TFT display, what happens when you are on the continent with a UK car and you pass a speed sign? Does it automatically convert from kmph to mph when it puts the little red marker on the speedo?
The speed shows in Kph, no conversion to Mph

Driving through France recently, I found that often there is no road sign to tell you when you you come out of a speed restricted area, so the symbol stays on your dash for miles (or kilometres to be more precise!!), so you do need to be aware of the speed limit for the road that you are on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuffolkBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 16:05   #60
Crockers
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkBoy View Post
The speed shows in Kph, no conversion to Mph

Driving through France recently, I found that often there is no road sign to tell you when you you come out of a speed restricted area, so the symbol stays on your dash for miles (or kilometres to be more precise!!), so you do need to be aware of the speed limit for the road that you are on.
Am currently in France. This speedo set up is a f***ing disgrace. Also the speed limit signs stay for ages. A complete load of cr@p and I'll not buy another one until this is sorted out. When I get home I'm going to fire off missives left right and centre. It's a danger. I can't believe the thinking behind this.

End of rant.