Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Petrol pours out the filler mechanism when full!

Views : 7943

Replies : 90

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2023, 15:48   #51
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post

Our current dealer is very good (I won't name names as that's probably unfair), but again it's the little things that could be improved, however this has made me wonder about the Volvo inspections you mentioned techwatcher. Do you know if the inspections are just for the garage side or does it encompass the whole dealership, so service, sales and parts etc? I wonder if they obtain customer feedback as part of the review?
I would've thought Volvo's checks would cover the whole dealership but I have no direct knowledge.

Clan is knowledgeable on this; @Clan, are you able to provide some insight?
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 18:38   #52
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
........Our current dealer is very good (I won't name names as that's probably unfair).....
Why is it unfair to name a good dealer?
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 20:12   #53
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Why is it unfair to name a good dealer?
It was more a case I didn't want to name the ones I've had crap experiences with as I'm sure there's plenty of people out there that have had good experiences with them.

Basically I was just trying to keep it neutral but still get the point across.

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yelper85 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2023, 14:53   #54
Dolphin10

Quote:
Mine is back in on 17th October as Volvo Sweden want full diagnostics and car details to compare with other European vehicles with similar issues.
Hey Yelper,

How did it go on the 17th or was is it just data gathering as opposed to any further diagnostics?
Old Oct 20th, 2023, 15:07   #55
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin10 View Post
Hey Yelper,

How did it go on the 17th or was is it just data gathering as opposed to any further diagnostics?
Hi Dolphin,

It's still in with them now.

Sweden have made them take the entire fuel tank out and fully strip it down to all bare components then write a fully detailed report on the findings. I'm going to ask for a copy of the report as I'm intrigued to see what it says. Whether they allow that or not remains to be seen.

The master tech had the laptop hooked up this time and as usual when he filled up he got a nice soaking of petrol. Not sure what, if any, data the laptop recorded. Hopefully this will also be in the report.

Got a brand new 73 plate loaner XC40 till at least Monday evening but the garage has already said they've extended it till next Friday just in case as apparently there's a bit of ping-pong between them and Sweden as the two have locked horns in how to proceed

Old Oct 20th, 2023, 15:12   #56
piorunz

I wish my dealership team were this proactive! They weren't and dismissed my claim as I mentioned earlier in this thread. But your case is an extreme one. My XC60 is not that badly affected, I refuelled this week to full, and it did not spill this time.
Anyway, please keep us informed on your progress!
Old Oct 20th, 2023, 15:49   #57
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by piorunz View Post
I wish my dealership team were this proactive! They weren't and dismissed my claim as I mentioned earlier in this thread. But your case is an extreme one. My XC60 is not that badly affected, I refuelled this week to full, and it did not spill this time.
Anyway, please keep us informed on your progress!
Once I've got mine sorted and ascertain exactly what the issue was, it would be worth you writing to Volvo Head Office. I've done this a few times (Volvo plus other manufacturers) and it soon makes the dealers get their arses into gear if you know you have a solid case to hand, which given the safety implications, you do.

Old Oct 27th, 2023, 12:32   #58
Yelper85

Quote:
Once I've got mine sorted and ascertain exactly what the issue was, it would be worth you writing to Volvo Head Office. I've done this a few times (Volvo plus other manufacturers) and it soon makes the dealers get their arses into gear if you know you have a solid case to hand, which given the safety implications, you do.
Quick update.

Volvo and the main dealer have agreed to replace the entire fuel tank as apparently they've seen a couple of other vehicles with this same problem which is apparently due to a deformity when the tank was manufactured.

I've not seen the official report yet (maybe I never will), this is just what the service manager told me. He also said replacing the filler neck is always the first thing replaced, and the diagnostic system won't let you go any further until it's been replaced and verified not to work.

Problem now is, Volvo Warranty have got to send their engineer out to confirm they agree with the findings which could take anywhere from a day to a couple of weeks, and we're away on holiday abroad for a week this coming Monday, so the loan car is going to be sat in an airport carpark for a week!

I'll update once I have the car back, hopefully with a new tank and no more petrol fountain. First job of the day once the car is picked up . . . fill her up and cross my fingers! (I'll take a sneaky video this time just in case)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yelper85 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2023, 14:50   #59
Yelper85

Quote:
Quick update.

Volvo and the main dealer have agreed to replace the entire fuel tank as apparently they've seen a couple of other vehicles with this same problem which is apparently due to a deformity when the tank was manufactured.

I've not seen the official report yet (maybe I never will), this is just what the service manager told me. He also said replacing the filler neck is always the first thing replaced, and the diagnostic system won't let you go any further until it's been replaced and verified not to work.

Problem now is, Volvo Warranty have got to send their engineer out to confirm they agree with the findings which could take anywhere from a day to a couple of weeks, and we're away on holiday abroad for a week this coming Monday, so the loan car is going to be sat in an airport carpark for a week!

I'll update once I have the car back, hopefully with a new tank and no more petrol fountain. First job of the day once the car is picked up . . . fill her up and cross my fingers! (I'll take a sneaky video this time just in case)
Right, got the car back with a brand new fuel tank, and it seems to have resolved it . . . I think

I want/need to try a couple more times to see how the timing of being full to pulling out affects things as really the depth of the nozzle end in the neck is so far down compared to the neck outer flap there should be no fuel up at that point, yet I'm 99% sure as it clicked and I waited a few seconds, bubbles and a little bit of spitting occurred.

When the pump went off automatically when full and I pulled the nozzle out, there was a tiny bit of fuel which seemingly came out of the internal filler behind the flap and down the drain, but again I just need to confirm I didn't accidently dribble some fuel out the end which made it look like that, however I did it so slowly (like I always do so I don't get a single drop on the car or myself) that I'm 99% sure it came out the flap.

At least it's not a fountain anymore . . .

I've not seen the report, but the service manager did say Volvo admitted that version of XC60 has been identified as having deformed fuel tanks from manufacture as the issue is across Europe. The fuel tank is fully metal as well, not plastic, and they refused to cut the tank open for further inspection due to safety concerns around starting a fire or explosion which I can understand.

For anybody else having this issue, I'd definitely recommend using my case as evidence to getting the tank replaced, or at least looked at (remember they will always replace the filler neck first before the tank is even considered).

Once I've filled up a couple more times, I'll report back 👍🏻

Old Nov 8th, 2023, 15:02   #60
piorunz

Quote:
I've not seen the report, but the service manager did say Volvo admitted that version of XC60 has been identified as having deformed fuel tanks from manufacture as the issue is across Europe. The fuel tank is fully metal as well, not plastic, and they refused to cut the tank open for further inspection due to safety concerns around starting a fire or explosion which I can understand.

For anybody else having this issue, I'd definitely recommend using my case as evidence to getting the tank replaced, or at least looked at (remember they will always replace the filler neck first before the tank is even considered).
Happy for you that car is fixed now (hopefully).
Regarding the manager words, can this be obtained in writing somehow? Or you know managers' name? I'd like to call him and ask, so I will tell my local dealer about his discovery. They laughed at me last time, maybe they will not laugh now, if I come with case details at hand, and manager's name or telephone number.