Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

H Reg 240, Project Thread

Views : 10638

Replies : 103

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2023, 12:45   #51
Bob 1967
Master Member

It's not the pulley itself but the mounting bolts for the alternator that are slackened, or the power steering for the other side.
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 12:51   #52
hreg240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 1967 View Post
It's not the pulley itself but the mounting bolts for the alternator that are slackened, or the power steering for the other side.
Ah I see, thank you for clarifying.
hreg240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hreg240 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 12:52   #53
Bob 1967
Master Member

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Bob 1967; Mar 27th, 2023 at 12:58.
Bob 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob 1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 12:56   #54
hreg240

Thumbs up

Quote:
Lol, no worries Bob
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 12:58   #55
Bob 1967
Master Member

https://imgur.com/2dUUvsA
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 14:12   #56
hreg240

Quote:
Brilliant, thank you
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 19:24   #57
hreg240

Evening chaps,

I had a look at tightening the pulleys after work. It seems to have calmed the screech somewhat - I shall know for definite on my drive tomorrow morning.

In the meantime I started looking into the wetness I was finding in the boot (under floor storage area in particular). Both carpet and sound deadening were very wet and soggy. They have now been removed from the car, thus leaving bare metal.

I then set about taking the carpeting up in various places in the boot and found the extent of the rust along the inner tailgate. The rust hole found at the o/s rear light can be seen from inside the boot ergo water is getting in there.

Patching that hole is now bumped up my list as a priority. I will measure and hammerite as planned this weekend, with the aim to weld in the new metal sometime over Easter. Wish me luck!

I shall upload pics tomorrow.

The good news is, aside from that and the rear arches, the underside is very good. I clambered around there with a head torch prodding at sections and I’m impressed with the lack of rust I can see.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hreg240 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 20:47   #58
Bob 1967
Master Member

A bit of duct tape will stop water ingress until you get around to repairing the metal.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 07:03   #59
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreg240 View Post
Good morning all,

• Started toying around with the CR-702 radio. I got it to play tapes, however the auto-reverse is failing to engage, which results in chewing the tapes. I ended up completely removing the deck from the car and have started dismantling indoors. I will look to fix this one, before deciding whether or not I want to replace with an aftermarket unit - I quite like the OEM unit.
... when you take your radiogram apart I'd appreciate it if you posted some photos and words. This is self-interest, I replaced the ancient 2 channel MDL radio cassette player with a cheap, modern unit (which is much better), but I still have the old radiogram in the spares shed. It still worked after a fashion but would need a bit of improvement to make it worth re-fitting (I would quite like the aesthetic, but couldn't live with the function).

Another idea might be to replace the 40 year old mechanism and replace it with some modern electronics. That might be a more sensible scheme - have some USB and SD ports where the cassette aperture is and a modern radio with 4 channels and BT but keep the old fascia and pushbuttons:

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Mar 28th, 2023 at 07:13.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 08:08   #60
hreg240

Morning all,

As promised, here are the images of the boot of the 240. The N/S looks to be in great condition (comparatively), but the O/S and under the metal lip above the bumper need working.

Bob - I had planned on getting some duct tape in there, not got any at home (or at least, I can't find any) so will buy some tonight.

Surprisingly, however, having now removed the carpet and sound deadening from the compartment, damp is not holding like it was. I checked how dry it was after my commute up the motorway and was amazed to feel it was not wet at all.

Alan - I shall post some pictures of the radio when I get a chance to properly look at it. I've the late model Cr-702. The thought about upgrading it with modern components could be a good shout; however, I do have a large collection of tapes which I enjoy playing on my trips.

Pictures:

Notice this side is very clean.

I also noticed this morning that the throttle is sticking slightly. This is something that was supposed to have been fixed before I collected the car. I shall investigate if the weather is any better this evening. It's not too bad of a stick, only really noticeable on cold start at idle.
The Following User Says Thank You to hreg240 For This Useful Post:

Tags
240 estate, 240 general