Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50/S40 DPF or FAP filter removal

Views : 61579

Replies : 133

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2012, 11:56   #51
shark90
Shark Performance

A normal remap is £419, sorry I only gave the options for DPF removal as I thought you were considering a new DPF.
t: 01623 332233

10% off remaps and vehicle servicing to VolvoForums members
shark90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 13:35   #52
dounroid

Quick query with regard to the +0.35V. Is this between the +5V and sensor sig or between GND (0V) and sensor sig?

Thanks for any help.
dounroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 21:44   #53
supafly

I measured from ground to sig.
I was measuring at the strut earth point at first then decided to go from the sensors earth to ensure accuracy.

However, please note that my car has gone into limp mode. No messages on dash. Not sure if related or not, originally it wouldn't boost at all but would slowly rev up. Now it gives a little boost but only revs to a max of 2800rpm with the last 500 rpm having little or no boost. Will be getting the codes read tomorrow to find out what it may be.

I wonder if the ecu expects any variations in the sensor output...
supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 12:10   #54
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafly View Post
I was measuring at the strut earth point at first then decided to go from the sensors earth to ensure accuracy.

However, please note that my car has gone into limp mode. No messages on dash. Not sure if related or not, originally it wouldn't boost at all but would slowly rev up. Now it gives a little boost but only revs to a max of 2800rpm with the last 500 rpm having little or no boost. Will be getting the codes read tomorrow to find out what it may be.

There will be variation in the output in normal circumstances as the.35v is an electrical current to reflect an normal dpf with no/low blockage and no requirement for regen, this will change when the dpf has some blockage requiring regen or replacement.

05 Plate S40 SE Sport
Bigmunkynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 12:22   #55
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark90 View Post
Absolutely I agree, a car needs to be running properly before a remap, unless of course the remap will solve the problem that you're experencing (such as DPF faults or EGR faults).

We have a couple of options for the 1.6D 2.0D and D5:

Stage 0 DPF delete without a power increase: £449 including VAT (includes labour and ECU reprogramming)

Stage 1 DPF delete with power increase: £739 including VAT (includes labour and ECU reprogramming with power)
What alteration do you make to the physical dpf?

05 Plate S40 SE Sport
Bigmunkynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 13:38   #56
shark90
Shark Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmunkynutz View Post
What alteration do you make to the physical dpf?
We remove the DPF internals and re-weld the casing.

Old Jul 9th, 2012, 16:15   #57
dounroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafly View Post

Thanks for the information, I wanted to make sure the ECU has been tricked into thinking everythings ok before I "remove" the DPF. I used some bootlace terminals so I could insert those into the plug with the resistor so I could return everything to as-found state if I wasn't getting a good signal.

Now I've set the voltage to 0.35V between SIG and GND I'm in limp mode the whole time. Before I could start in limp mode and then once the engine had warmed up (say 5 minutes) I could turn the car off and then back on and it would start to function correctly. The other option was if the car started without going into limp mode then I could give it some revs for the first mile or so and it would stay ok.

I checked through my service history and I've a feeling that the Eolys oil has never been recharged. I bought the car at 3 Y/O with only 18K miles on the clock but the service history said the car had been serviced at a Suzuki garage. The service history said that the 36k miles / 3 year service had been done, but I bet it never filled that oil. Once I bought the car I did the next 2 services at the volvo dealership. They never did the Eolys oil as I've just looked at the invoices. At the last service I said I noticed a loss of MPG and they said there wasn't anything obvious. After I had the Engine Management Service Required message I took it back to the volvo dealership and they said that it required an engine control system re-map (cost £100). I had checked with my local mechanic and he has the code checker which said DPF sensor issue. The volvo dealership ignored the code and said it would go away with the re-map. I have to drive 100 miles to the volvo dealership so it's not exactly a trip I want to make all that often. So after they've not bothered to fill the eolys oil and ignored the warning messages I refuse to go back. I'm going to experiment a bit more with this potential divider. But at this stage I don't think it's the miracle cure the original poster is making out. If I was closer to a place that could remove the DPF and re-map I'd do it, but I'd have to drive for 100's miles to get that done...

I'll keep you upto-date with my experiments.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 16:45   #58
shark90
Shark Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dounroid View Post
If I was closer to a place that could remove the DPF and re-map I'd do it, but I'd have to drive for 100's miles to get that done...
If you can get the DPF physically removed by a local garage, then we can sort out the mapping by lending you our softloader device.

Old Jul 9th, 2012, 17:14   #59
supafly

Thanks for the update.

Mine has been to the dealer and we ran the diagnostics on the sensor output...

It was showing 0 (I don't remember the unit of measure but I think there was a h in it?)

So I've either: -

wired it incorrectly - although I managed 250 miles without any limp

connections have failed - will be checking connections tonight.

the output isn't what the ecu expects - not varying or too low?

Any input greatly appreciated. Or if anyone can check the output on a known well running engine I'm sure it would help.

The remap is the right option, although for me I can't afford that much at the moment.
supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 17:37   #60
dounroid

Found this:

http://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums...83/FL2_DPF.pdf

I don't think it's for volvo, but I reakon it'd be pretty similar.

I've set mine to 2.5V now, it's still starting in limp mode. I might reconnect the original plug and see what voltage I get.

Shark90, would you send me the DPF replacement section? I guess I fit that and then re-map using your tool?