Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 103990

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 09:55   #561
neon
Premier Member

Just been out on a journey 24 miles there and back. Temps 5C and in my own personal opinion the tyres are good, definitely quieter even at low temperatures. Feels more like a luxury SUV now. Average over the 24 miles was 30.1mpg.
I am all set now to switch to winter wheels, knowing after the winter I can put my nice 20" wheels back on.

Last edited by neon; Nov 23rd, 2016 at 11:24.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to neon For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 10:15   #562
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetg View Post
Just to let you all know, I took delivery of my new XC90 on 12/11 and I just checked the tyres and found that it has the Conti Silent tyres fitted as standard. I have not mentioned this thread to my dealer so assume these are standard on new cars with 20" wheels.
That is great as it now looks like anyone getting a new XC90 with 20" wheels now is very likely to get the Contisilent tyres, so should not need to worry about this thread.
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 10:19   #563
Zoo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Just been out on a journey 24 miles there and back. Temps 5C and in my own personal opinion the tyres are good, definitely quieter even at low temperatures. Feels more like a luxury SUV now.
I am all set now to switch to winter wheels, knowing after the winter I can put my nice 20" wheels back on.
you boys 'up North' with your winter wheels....If you lived south of Watford, you would never need them.

Great news about your findings on the tyre exchange Neon. I am delighted with my car after a return trip to and from Yorkshire yesterday. I forgot about the noise and just enjoyed my car.
So....just one problem left on mine - the rear windows.
There is lateral movement approx 1mm - the dealership knows about it and their demonstrator is exactly the same. The glass does not need any narrowing and so they are looking for a 'technical journal' or something to find a solution...
I believe that this is where the last mutterings of 'noise' is coming through.
I am going to gaffer tape them at the weekend and see if that is the case.

So the Conti-Silent tyres are exactly the same tread depth (6.5mm) as the factory fitted. My tyres had done 2115 and were 7% worn, according to my dealer, who is looking for 93% reimbursement from Volvo, who want my original tyres returned.
That will give everyone, hopefully, a calculation on costs. I am afraid that it looks like the onus is on the individual dealerships, as to whether they bear the costs - or pass them onto the client.
Zoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoo21 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 11:29   #564
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo21 View Post
you boys 'up North' with your winter wheels....If you lived south of Watford, you would never need them.

Great news about your findings on the tyre exchange Neon. I am delighted with my car after a return trip to and from Yorkshire yesterday. I forgot about the noise and just enjoyed my car.
So....just one problem left on mine - the rear windows.
There is lateral movement approx 1mm - the dealership knows about it and their demonstrator is exactly the same. The glass does not need any narrowing and so they are looking for a 'technical journal' or something to find a solution...
I believe that this is where the last mutterings of 'noise' is coming through.
I am going to gaffer tape them at the weekend and see if that is the case.

So the Conti-Silent tyres are exactly the same tread depth (6.5mm) as the factory fitted. My tyres had done 2115 and were 7% worn, according to my dealer, who is looking for 93% reimbursement from Volvo, who want my original tyres returned.
That will give everyone, hopefully, a calculation on costs. I am afraid that it looks like the onus is on the individual dealerships, as to whether they bear the costs - or pass them onto the client.
Thanks.
I live in the Pennines, edge of Peak District, near where Last of the Summer Wine was filmed, so if we get it, it can be bad and lots of country roads. Last couple of years have been ok though. I do work on the basis that they will perform better on icy roads too.

Last edited by neon; Nov 23rd, 2016 at 11:38.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 11:32   #565
Goggers

It would be good to understand if anyone else who has taken recent delivery with 20inch wheels also had the conti silents from factory.. mines not due until march so hoping this is the new standard
Goggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 11:37   #566
aab203

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetg View Post
Just to let you all know, I took delivery of my new XC90 on 12/11 and I just checked the tyres and found that it has the Conti Silent tyres fitted as standard. I have not mentioned this thread to my dealer so assume these are standard on new cars with 20" wheels.
Hi, when was your car built do you know? My car was built on the 7th Nov and it didn't have the Conti Silent wheels. It was a T8 so not sure if Volvo are only including the quieter tyres on certain models?
aab203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2016, 15:06   #567
streetg

I have checked the my Volvo site and it says Production Week 26-10-2016.

Mine is a D5 Momentum with the 20" 5 Double Spoke wheels with the 275/45 tyres.
2019 XC90 D5 Momentum Pro, Polestar.
2022 XC60 B4 R-Design Pro.
streetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2016, 15:57   #568
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab203 View Post
Hi, when was your car built do you know? My car was built on the 7th Nov and it didn't have the Conti Silent wheels. It was a T8 so not sure if Volvo are only including the quieter tyres on certain models?
Yes I would like to know if I have just missed out on contisilent by a few weeks or if T8s are exempt.
Old Nov 25th, 2016, 11:35   #569
Lexman8
Premier Member

As an aside, my mate has just had his Jaguar XF serviced and they're going to replace all the tyres foc because of some issue with fuel consumption figures. It wasn't an issue he had raised; came out of the blue. He also gets to keep the old tyres which still have 5-6mm tread on them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2016, 13:13   #570
gaby
Premier Member

They must have been very sticky tyres!
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote