Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 103909

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2016, 20:11   #521
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Owner View Post
So has anyone with a T8 complained about the tyre noise on 20" wheels? With new tyres potentially on offer, I'm wondering if I should ask for these. I can hear my tyres for sure, but I've nothing to compare it to. Some have mentioned T8s are much quieter than D5s on the same tyres.

So for some context, at times the heating fan is louder than my tyre noise. Is this a different league from the noise in D5s?
Have not seen anyone with a T8 complain about road noise. Must be ok as in electric mode it would really be noticeable I would have thought if it was the same.
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 10:29   #522
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Have not seen anyone with a T8 complain about road noise. Must be ok as in electric mode it would really be noticeable I would have thought if it was the same.
Yes the tyre noise is almost the only sound; you can't hear the motors and not really any wind noise unless you are travelling fast, so when I'm driving around in electric, it's just the noise of the air conditioning and the road surface. I don't think I would have paid much attention to the road noise without this forum. But I can certainly tell when the road surface changes, if these tyres are so good that they get rid of that then I think it'd like a set too.
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 10:30   #523
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Owner View Post
Yes the tyre noise is almost the only sound; you can't hear the motors and not really any wind noise unless you are travelling fast, so when I'm driving around in electric, it's just the noise of the air conditioning and the road surface. I don't think I would have paid much attention to the road noise without this forum. But I can certainly tell when the road surface changes, if these tyres are so good that they get rid of that then I think it'd like a set too.
Worth a try.
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 11:50   #524
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo21 View Post
Yes, the change of tyres has been the finishing touch for me.
I had the pillar fix (even when the car should have had it done at the factory - built in Sept 2016) and with the new tyres, I cannot tell the difference driving over changes in the road surface (well yesterday, when it was dry). My car is parked in my basement today but I'll drive it to Stourbridge on Tuesday and give it a longer run. For me, I'm happy and the job's done. I have an SUV that I am happy with.

email from Volvo dealer today.

In regards to the tyre noise as we discussed Continental have brought out a newly developed tyre that the aim is to reduce tyre noise.

Having taking the tyre measurements from your car and forwarded these to my colleagues it is proposed that if you wish to have the newer style tyres fitted Volvo will cover 60% of this and that would leave a payment of £549.71 to pay from yourself, this is based on the current tread depths, If you wish to proceed with this tyre change please let me know and I can arrange this for you.*

I emailed back rejecting this offer and asked them to get back to Volvo expressing my disgust about this and their customer relationship. And to say I expect this at no cost to me.
would be helpful if those who have had free tyres to contact me with their dealer names so I can take this further
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 12:08   #525
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
email from Volvo dealer today.

In regards to the tyre noise as we discussed Continental have brought out a newly developed tyre that the aim is to reduce tyre noise.

Having taking the tyre measurements from your car and forwarded these to my colleagues it is proposed that if you wish to have the newer style tyres fitted Volvo will cover 60% of this and that would leave a payment of £549.71 to pay from yourself, this is based on the current tread depths, If you wish to proceed with this tyre change please let me know and I can arrange this for you.*

I emailed back rejecting this offer and asked them to get back to Volvo expressing my disgust about this and their customer relationship. And to say I expect this at no cost to me.
would be helpful if those who have had free tyres to contact me with their dealer names so I can take this further
Wow, £1374 for a set of tyres and if you have only done 3000 miles and used 40% then a new set every 7500 miles. Is my maths correct. 18p a mile in tyre wear alone.

Last edited by neon; Nov 21st, 2016 at 12:10.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 12:36   #526
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Wow, £1374 for a set of tyres and if you have only done 3000 miles and used 40% then a new set every 7500 miles. Is my maths correct. 18p a mile in tyre wear alone.
Its ridiculous, your maths are correct, my tyres are still as new. I could have had a set of 19" 10 spoke wheels and tyres for £1200, and kept my original wheels and tyres,

Thanks for your PM I replied but dont know if it got to you as not in sent folder.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 12:37   #527
thinkpad

Quote:
That's very strange. I did 30k miles on my Continental tyres.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 13:49   #528
Zoo21

Quote:
..and I expect that is without VAT. I was told £385 plus VAT.

So, I'm been asked for my dealer details via PM.
The reason I will not give them out, my dealer has contacted all who bought the same configuration XC90, as me - I know they have.

As I have always said (posts #499 and #507) and (#158 on 'new XC90 first Impression) I suspected that the exchange was being paid for in part by the dealer and not the manufacturer. I spoke to the MD this am with my reaction and opinion on the tyre exchange - his parting comment was that he wanted me as a customer to be happy. I actually apologised for the hard ball I played at the start of my issue - but he said the customer is all he cared about.

Giving out their details just brings them into something that they can't fight for owners who haven't purchased from them.
Until Volvo UK accept and bear all costs - it is down to your relationship and contact with the dealer you purchased from. Like all businesses, unfortunately, some don't look longer term.
Zoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 14:28   #529
Deman77
Master Member

Now it's a cost option for most of us - is it worth it and knowing the difference now and hypothetically if Volvo did not provide these would it be worth paying 500 quid for them?
Deman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 14:31   #530
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Now it's a cost option for most of us - is it worth it and knowing the difference now and hypothetically if Volvo did not provide these would it be worth paying 500 quid for them?
I suppose it depends if you think Volvo have sold you a car that is "fit for purpose".

Sorry for going over old ground, but I paid £55k for a "luxury" SUV with the "luxury" Inscription trim and I do not expect to have to pay more to get it to that level. My car is not acceptable with its current configuration for road noise. Many other areas are and exceed in some cases but not in this one area for me personally I am afraid.

Last edited by neon; Nov 21st, 2016 at 14:42.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote