Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 930627

Replies : 6596

Users Viewing This Thread : Andymharrison, Laird Scooby

Old Apr 7th, 2021, 11:00   #501
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I thought or knew the black car would sell.

It benefited from a coming together of several aspects.

There was only one important factor in the black car selling quickly, it qualified as an historic car, that is abundantly clear:

I think if the black Thor car had been a 1988 model (I know, that would not be possible with a Thor model) it would have struggled to make £1,500 as a non-runner - but qualifying as an historic car meant it cruised to nearly £4,000.
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 11:06   #502
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
There was only one important factor in the black car selling quickly, it qualified as an historic car, that is abundantly clear:

Other opinions are available.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 11:36   #503
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

As you might tell Dave, I've got a lot of time on my hands: I've been off sick for a couple of days (I think I poisoned myself with something from the fridge - probably some sausages that were quite a long way past their best). Chatting about Volvo 240 cars helps pass the time as I wait for my body to fix itself :-(.

Alan
I hope you feel better soon Alan!

Just lost a nice long reply explaining another factor of my Kung Flu theory about people working from home and not needing a Euro-commuter-blob for work they can now have the car they want with some character - they also have a lot more time through not spending 20 hours a week commuting and not losing 10 hours a week attending meetings, gas-bagging with colleagues about the price of fish and so on adding another 10 hours a week to their spare time.

The blck Thor was always going to be a strong seller as only 450 were made and many see it as one of the "Holy Grail" cars. Not sure if it's fair to include it on the overall analysis for this reason.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 11:55   #504
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

The blck Thor was always going to be a strong seller as only 450 were made and many see it as one of the "Holy Grail" cars.

Yes Dave.

That was a serious one of its aspects.

And neither that nor historic status was high on my tick boxes.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 11:57   #505
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I hope you feel better soon Alan!

Just lost a nice long reply explaining another factor of my Kung Flu theory about people working from home and not needing a Euro-commuter-blob for work they can now have the car they want with some character - they also have a lot more time through not spending 20 hours a week commuting and not losing 10 hours a week attending meetings, gas-bagging with colleagues about the price of fish and so on adding another 10 hours a week to their spare time.

The blck Thor was always going to be a strong seller as only 450 were made and many see it as one of the "Holy Grail" cars. Not sure if it's fair to include it on the overall analysis for this reason.
Maybe you have something about the Kung Flu theory generally Dave. I've noticed that there is much more demand for stuff than can be done at home (because people are spending much more time there and need something to do). Just the other day I was thinking of getting some blacktop restorer for the drive (a dozen years old and a bit stained from all the engine and gearbox fluid changes I've done on it). The company (SmartSeal - seems to have an excellent set of products for cleaning oil from then re-sealing the asphalt for only about £150 for my 150 m^2 drive) gives a warning that delivery times are slower than normal due to unprecedented demand during the pandemic - just one example.

I'm not convinced that extends to cars yet; I think the flash to bang time with larger items is longer than the year of disruption we have had.

I still believe the historic vehicle factor is the absolutely key one here: if someone is thinking of getting an interest car (probably for the nostalgia, or maybe to satisfy the mid-life crisis) then it is much easier to convince the rest of his/her family it is a good idea if the running costs will be very small (i.e. no tax or MoT) - hence the boom in historic car demand. The lack of demand (at inflated prices) I'm seeing in late 80s and 90s cars seems to strongly support my hypothesis.
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 12:03   #506
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
... I've been off sick for a couple of days (I think I poisoned myself with something from the fridge - probably some sausages that were quite a long way past their best). Chatting about Volvo 240 cars helps pass the time as I wait for my body to fix itself :-(.

Alan

Alan I didn't see that earlier.

I'm very sorry to hear that. Gastric infections can need big tablets to be taken dispersed in water. Don't ask me how I know or why I remember so well ...

As it has knocked you out that badly. Please if your body does not self heal very soon now, please get medical help.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 12:31   #507
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:

I still believe the historic vehicle factor is the absolutely key one here: if someone is thinking of getting an interest car (probably for the nostalgia, or maybe to satisfy the mid-life crisis) then it is much easier to convince the rest of his/her family it is a good idea if the running costs will be very small (i.e. no tax or MoT) - hence the boom in historic car demand. The lack of demand (at inflated prices) I'm seeing in late 80s and 90s cars seems to strongly support my hypothesis.

You are convinced Alan.

But at least now you say you believe it.

You are not now imperiously asserting it.

The truth must be, I think, that
buyers have their own opinions and objectives.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 15:17   #508
Jamesdc

Hello! New around here, only owned my first volvo for a couple months!

Talking of overpriced Volvos, what do we think of this then?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-Volv....m46890.l49286

Cheers!
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 16:16   #509
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesdc View Post
Hello! New around here, only owned my first volvo for a couple months!

Talking of overpriced Volvos, what do we think of this then?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-Volv....m46890.l49286

Cheers!
Hi James,
Welcome.
I'm afraid I don't know anything about V70 cars - but others here may.
I do find it hard to understand when people describe pretty new type cars (only 20 years old) as classics, and that ad is no exception.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Apr 7th, 2021 at 18:07.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 16:24   #510
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi James,
Welcome.
I'm afraid I don't know anything about V70 cars - but others here may.
I do find it hard to understand when people describe pretty new type cars (only 30 years old) as classics, and that ad is no exception.

Alan

Alan,

Have you recovered from your illness? I hope so.

You have developed the zeal of the convert re the age and historic status of cars .... including especially Volvo 240s.

An alternative opinion, re 240s, is that all 240s are modern classics.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Apr 7th, 2021 at 16:38.