Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 936033

Replies : 6616

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2021, 11:11   #491
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I wonder if he's tried a fuel filter on it? Or a fuel pump relay or checking and cleaning all contacts (including fuseholder) in the fuel pump circuit? There are a few other possibles but those are the most likely to cause the cutting out problem.

One thing is that it must be too good to break :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Vehicle-P...=kommensiecake

He's a well-known Volvo breaker.

Last time i bought a car and collected with a trailer, between the cost of hiring the trailer for the day, fuel and so on it cost me nearly £200 and that was in 2013 with a round trip of ~400 miles. Not dissimilar to the distance involved with this one but he offers delivery at 50p/mile round trip.

With that in mind, it's probably cheaper to get him to deliver if you're anything over about 50 miles away. Of course that either means inspecting before you commit or buying it "on spec" but unless there are any undisclosed horrors it should be a fairly good bet.
Yes, certainly too good to break - I hope it finds it a good home. The seller has priced it a bit above the top of the rough cars bracket, but it can already be an historic car. He has still placed it at a top price for what it is (a non-runner that has stood for 15 years) so there is no commercial margin for a buyer. It would have to be someone that particularly wanted that type of car and was willing to spend a grand getting it okay (about like the RB) - or £5,000 making it nice (about like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Volv...53.m1438.l2649... but then that one is £9,000, and has been for sale forever - if not longer).

Not a car for me - I prefer the RB approach (and it saves 2-3 grand).

Last edited by Othen; Apr 6th, 2021 at 11:18. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 12:34   #492
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Yes, certainly too good to break - I hope it finds it a good home. The seller has priced it a bit above the top of the rough cars bracket, but it can already be an historic car. He has still placed it at a top price for what it is (a non-runner that has stood for 15 years) so there is no commercial margin for a buyer. It would have to be someone that particularly wanted that type of car and was willing to spend a grand getting it okay (about like the RB) - or £5,000 making it nice (about like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Volv...53.m1438.l2649... but then that one is £9,000, and has been for sale forever - if not longer).

Not a car for me - I prefer the RB approach (and it saves 2-3 grand).
That red estate looks familiar - seem to recall when Chris was looking he sent me details for that one at a much lower price, obviously not so bright and shiny and if memory erves, some mechanical problems too, head gasket was hinted at i believe. I could be worng and thinking of a similar car but the reg and steering wheel are ringing bells somewhere in my memory cell.

Likely to take a long time to sell at that price regardless...................

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 12:43   #493
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
That red estate looks familiar - seem to recall when Chris was looking he sent me details for that one at a much lower price, obviously not so bright and shiny and if memory erves, some mechanical problems too, head gasket was hinted at i believe. I could be worng and thinking of a similar car but the reg and steering wheel are ringing bells somewhere in my memory cell.

Likely to take a long time to sell at that price regardless...................
I’ve certainly seen the red car advertised previously - I can’t remember the details. I’ve taken an instant dislike to the seller for being a pompous arse - throughout the very long ad he disparages most other cars as rubbish...

... it will take a very long time to sell a 30 year old 240 with 200,000 miles at £9,000!

:-)
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 13:14   #494
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I’ve certainly seen the red car advertised previously - I can’t remember the details. I’ve taken an instant dislike to the seller for being a pompous arse - throughout the very long ad he disparages most other cars as rubbish...

... it will take a very long time to sell a 30 year old 240 with 200,000 miles at £9,000!

:-)
Sadly disparaging other cars seems to be a recent and unpleasant thing on fleabay. There are many cars i don't think are any good and while i might comment on here or other fora i'm on about them, i wouldn't do it on an ebay listing as the potential buyer may have one of those and think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread - net result, sale lost!

Mercenary git, aren't i!

Joking aside though, it's not the done thing and ultimately just makes the seller look bad.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 20:45   #495
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I wonder if he's tried a fuel filter on it? Or a fuel pump relay or checking and cleaning all contacts (including fuseholder) in the fuel pump circuit? There are a few other possibles but those are the most likely to cause the cutting out problem.

One thing is that it must be too good to break :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Vehicle-P...=kommensiecake

He's a well-known Volvo breaker.

Last time i bought a car and collected with a trailer, between the cost of hiring the trailer for the day, fuel and so on it cost me nearly £200 and that was in 2013 with a round trip of ~400 miles. Not dissimilar to the distance involved with this one but he offers delivery at 50p/mile round trip.

With that in mind, it's probably cheaper to get him to deliver if you're anything over about 50 miles away. Of course that either means inspecting before you commit or buying it "on spec" but unless there are any undisclosed horrors it should be a fairly good bet.
The black car is sold :-)
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 23:45   #496
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The black car is sold :-)
Doesn't surprise me Alan, if it's a genuine Thor Limited Edition then it's worth a fair whack and also desirable to those in the know.

Hopefully we'll see it reappear on here sometime soon!

Old Apr 7th, 2021, 05:53   #497
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Doesn't surprise me Alan, if it's a genuine Thor Limited Edition then it's worth a fair whack and also desirable to those in the know.

Hopefully we'll see it reappear on here sometime soon!
Perhaps it will re-appear on this forum Dave - that would be nice.

I think what one may conclude is that historic vehicle status is worth rather more than I had previously estimated; I'd thought 30-50% extra, but now I think it is more, probably 50-100%. I see this with other cars as well, not just 240s.
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 09:35   #498
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Perhaps it will re-appear on this forum Dave - that would be nice.

I think what one may conclude is that historic vehicle status is worth rather more than I had previously estimated; I'd thought 30-50% extra, but now I think it is more, probably 50-100%. I see this with other cars as well, not just 240s.
Keep your eyes peeled for a new 240 owner!

I'm not sure historic status is such a big thing on the value, certainly an uplift but i'd suggest somewhere in the region of 40-80% bearing in mind the values of almost all pre-2000 vehicles has been on a steady rise for some time now.

I suspect that may be Kung Flu related where people can no longer afford PCP cars and are going for the next best thing, one likely to go up in value rather than cost them money each month to have sat on the drive.

Old Apr 7th, 2021, 10:25   #499
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Keep your eyes peeled for a new 240 owner!

I'm not sure historic status is such a big thing on the value, certainly an uplift but i'd suggest somewhere in the region of 40-80% bearing in mind the values of almost all pre-2000 vehicles has been on a steady rise for some time now.

I suspect that may be Kung Flu related where people can no longer afford PCP cars and are going for the next best thing, one likely to go up in value rather than cost them money each month to have sat on the drive.
Maybe you are right Dave, but my hypothesis throughout this thread has been that most sellers of 1980s/90s 240s think their cars are worth much more than they really are, which (from evidence like the black car) I've modified to exclude 1980 and older cars, they sell very well indeed for much more than I'd expect.

I offer only armchair evidence from eBay, Car and Classic and so on that suggests ordinary cooking 240s that are post historic still make ordinary cooking money - like the red estate ('time capsule' car) that the owner placed a shill bid on a few weeks ago. That car still hasn't attracted a bid at £1450 with 2 days of the current auction to go.

Other (armchair) evidence is the body of overpriced (in my humble opinion) cars that never sell, they just keep getting advertised in different places. Examples would be the blue 1988 GLT at £6,000 and the red 1989 estate at £9,000. To me these are just well used 30 year old cars that are too inefficient to be used as commuters and so should be worth £1,500 to £2,500. The restored red 1989 estate is probably worth a bit more, but I really do wonder at the efficacy of fully restoring a car that is only 30 years old.

Where I have changed my mind in the past few weeks that I have been watching the market is historic cars. The lure of tax and MoT exemption is greater than I had appreciated, and so those cars almost invariably sell quickly and for more that I'd have thought. Even the nasty brown car might sell one day when it reaches 41 years old (although I still think anyone that paid £3,000 for such a rough car would be a fool).

I suppose I should not have surprised myself so much with this discovery, it was after all one of the reasons I bought the RB. In my eyes there is something quite cool in having a 40 year old car that is modern enough to drive every day (all be it not efficient enough to use as a commuter) sitting on the drive that I don't have to pay the government any more tax on. By the same token: if I find that attractive then I suspect others would if I ever offered the RB for sale, and hence it would command a much higher price than a non-historic car.

I think if the black Thor car had been a 1988 model (I know, that would not be possible with a Thor model) it would have struggled to make £1,500 as a non-runner - but qualifying as an historic car meant it cruised to nearly £4,000.

As you might tell Dave, I've got a lot of time on my hands: I've been off sick for a couple of days (I think I poisoned myself with something from the fridge - probably some sausages that were quite a long way past their best). Chatting about Volvo 240 cars helps pass the time as I wait for my body to fix itself :-(.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Apr 7th, 2021 at 11:02. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 10:53   #500
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I thought or knew the black car would sell.

It benefited from a coming together of several aspects.

It ticked boxes of what I would most prefer to buy. If I had space and time.

Various buyers having different criteria is an important aspect of
supply and demand, sales and purchases, and prices.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote