Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Restoration Project Considerations - Any Thoughts??

Views : 7289

Replies : 111

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2022, 19:05   #41
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
That is only £200-£300 per square meter Steve, you will do well to bring the project in at that price. Perhaps start a project thread for the garage/workshop build? I'd be interested to read of it, and I think others would be as well.

Good fortune,

Alan
Hi Alan,

You of course are probably correct, as I tend to just think of big ticket costs, bricks, roof trusses, concrete etc etc. But I know from when we done our house, the small 'sundries' soon quickly tot up.

I'm fortunate that budget isn't really fixed, as I do like a diy project that can save cost, currently looking the main garage door, ideally would be trifold on top track with bottom guide rail, just need to see if I can get powered system to work by remote control ??

If and when planning come through I will start a new separate thread, bit concerned as it's been a few weeks but not a peep and of course you can't speak to anyone....😀

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 22:44   #42
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi Alan,

You of course are probably correct, as I tend to just think of big ticket costs, bricks, roof trusses, concrete etc etc. But I know from when we done our house, the small 'sundries' soon quickly tot up.

I'm fortunate that budget isn't really fixed, as I do like a diy project that can save cost, currently looking the main garage door, ideally would be trifold on top track with bottom guide rail, just need to see if I can get powered system to work by remote control ??

If and when planning come through I will start a new separate thread, bit concerned as it's been a few weeks but not a peep and of course you can't speak to anyone....😀

Cheers
Steve
A workshop and projects are a great investment in you I reckon. Having your space and hobbies is worth every penny!
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 22:51   #43
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

If not already consider joining the mig welding forum. The best general forum in my opinion, with folk with a very wide range of skls and knowledge. Building a workshop you will get very good advice on there and it's the friendliest forum I've found. Also ask about welders and tooling, you may pick up some good deals.
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 15:33   #44
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi Alan,

Cheers
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
A workshop and projects are a great investment in you I reckon. Having your space and hobbies is worth every penny!
Powered and remotely controlled doors are a really good idea Steve - in that you will use them whereas if you have to get out of your motor car to push them open you probably won't bother.

Like with any project, I think it is a good idea to write down an aim, a plan of how to get there and then cost it out before you start. Just my opinion Steve, but I find that when people fail to do one of those three the project suffers. It is a good idea to be very disciplined: don't let the aim drift, stick to the plan and don't overspend (in my humble opinion).

I couldn't agree more with Mitch: this is a fantastic opportunity - great for your mental and physical health.

Good fortune,

Alan

PS. Just a thought Steve: if you specify multi-folding electric door covering something like a 6m opening that might take the majority of your budget - they aren't cheap.

Last edited by Othen; Nov 2nd, 2022 at 15:46.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 23:47   #45
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

What are you going to do for a bench? Buy or build one?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 01:48   #46
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Don’t want to hijack the thread too much but thought this was relevant. I made a forming workbench that I drew in autocad and a company in Aberdeen water jet cut it for me. It's 1600 x 800 x 15mm. It's a bit of a copy and extension of the benches Contour Autocraft use. Contour Autocraft do excellent courses if Steve is interested in some formal training before you start: https://www.contouracademy.com/training/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6E31077B-7C7D-4489-913E-32DB65A9A5B2.jpg (137.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg FCC5245A-126D-4EC5-BA5F-FBCD009BD939.jpg (17.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg EE4B4BBF-244F-48FE-A049-3CD7A14D1F63.jpg (71.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Burdekin; Nov 3rd, 2022 at 01:50.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 08:33   #47
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Don’t want to hijack the thread too much but thought this was relevant. I made a forming workbench that I drew in autocad and a company in Aberdeen water jet cut it for me. It's 1600 x 800 x 15mm. It's a bit of a copy and extension of the benches Contour Autocraft use. Contour Autocraft do excellent courses if Steve is interested in some formal training before you start: https://www.contouracademy.com/training/
Wow - this is a piece of work. Also nice to see what's behind it.... which came from Hull!
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 10:22   #48
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Like with any project, I think it is a good idea to write down an aim, a plan of how to get there and then cost it out before you start. Just my opinion Steve, but I find that when people fail to do one of those three the project suffers. It is a good idea to be very disciplined: don't let the aim drift, stick to the plan and don't overspend (in my humble opinion).

I couldn't agree more with Mitch: this is a fantastic opportunity - great for your mental and physical health.
Very sound advice.

Individual circumstances obviously dictate the outcome, but it is important to set out the long term objectives. Will the restoration work be one, or possibly two cars and then use the garage facilities to maintain them or is it a conveyor belt approach and as soon as one is finished on to the next?

With regards the garage etc, yes, it needs to be built to an appropriate aesthetic and needs to be as large as site allows. However, the risk is that the costs involved in the garage build don't leave any surplus to embark on restoration projects.

Restoration work can be done with minimal facilities: when I was 21 I bought a scrap Bentley Mk VI - yes, it was in a scrapyard. Had very little experience of restoration work, but immense self belief and determination to see it through. the objective was to restore to concours and 100% original spec.

I built a clear polythene tent in one of the farm buildings and went from there. Completely stripped, chassis and body was sandblasted inside and out and then rebuilt. The sandblasting was done professionally as was the engine machining, body welding and chrome - everything else was done by me. Rebuilding the chassis, painting the body, interior upholstery, interior woodwork and the 1000 and 1 little jobs that go on for ever.

Everything was returned to original spec, all chassis parts were genuine Rolls-Royce, cellulose paint in black over shell grey, Connolly hide leather, West of England headlining, Wilton carpets trimmed in leather and woodwork polished to a mirror finish.

All done in a polythene tent with tools bought as and when needed. Learnt as I went along and the experience changed my life.

Subsequently, I have built better garage facilities and one of the main specs when siting the four post lift was to be able to put the car on the lift, open all four doors and still be able to walk around.

The Bentley restoration was an extreme case of trying to achieve an outcome with the most basic of facilities. Five years later it was completed and done to, I would guess, 95%. I was told by an old hand: Strive for 100% and you will probably achieve 97%, aim for 97% and you will be lucky to achieve 90% as the mindset will be, 'that will do'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221025_134053 (2).jpg (210.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20221025_135613 (2).jpg (246.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20221103_093351 (2).jpg (185.0 KB, 16 views)
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2022, 17:28   #49
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Thoughts at the moment are to kit the garage out with used low level tambour door cabinets so I have lots of storage, and I would probably build my own bench so I can make to fit. Good welding practice.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 5th, 2022, 17:58   #50
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Powered and remotely controlled doors are a really good idea Steve - in that you will use them whereas if you have to get out of your motor car to push them open you probably won't

PS. Just a thought Steve: if you specify multi-folding electric door covering something like a 6m opening that might take the majority of your budget - they aren't cheap.

Yes indeed, having to get out and open doors every time gets a bit of a pain, and ends up with the car staying outside .

The door question has indeed been on my mind most of this week, as even standard roller doors of say 5m width come in at a few thousand.

My doodling so far has come up with a top hung folding door with three sections on one side, and then a 'normally' hung door that could be used as a pedestrian access.

Thoughts at the moment are to make the doors myself, and had been trying to come up with an opening/closing mechanism that could be powered. Obviously will need to push/pull the door quite some distance, initial thoughts so far, are to have a motor situated at the top corner of the door with a sprocket driving a chain looped to a slave sprocket on the other side of the opening. Then have a sprocket fixed to the top door edge, so as the motor drives the chain, it should push/pull the door. Tensioning the chain would need to be solved.

Remote control trigger something like this??
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-...edirect=mobile

Would need to incorporate some limit / overload switches.

Much to mull over.....😀

Cheers
Steve